Righto. 'Fess up. Who bought a CRF450L?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Dec 20, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    A mate bought a new YZ250. 10 yo design apparently. The kickstarter still has the binding issue experienced with the first all those years ago. To fix all that What is needed is a part is given a slight chamfer so it doesnt bind but slip past. A very minor mod to fix!
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I haven't felt one do it, you may want to ask Fearless Whetu if the one he rode had a snappy/twitchy throttle.
    Spoke to a rider getting off one after a demo ride at Caboolture Honda and he didn't mention any snappiness etc. The bike was unrestricted full power mode.
    Many early buyer of the 450 and 570FE's complained of a snappy throttle and many fitted slower cam G2 throttle and efi mapping systems to try and smooth it out. Others just rode them and got used to them or they weren't snappy from new.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yeah the throttle was a problem. I had to modify both the 570 and 610.

Interesting that these manufacturers still havent caught on.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Many new efi bikes have twitchy throttle, or maybe more likely poor fueling at idle of just off idle, are people suggesting this Honda is the only new bike with a twitchy throttle?
    If you wish to bring up previous models with known faults, then please mention bikes over numerous years whose known faults are far worse than a twitchy throttle.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    People likely to have different tolerances to things like this

Or are used to different bikes with more or less of the same issue

I'm curious about this new Honda, and will aim to take the local demo out sometime over the Xmas break
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It would be fair to say that the 70 Degree Berg engines have shown far greater longevity than the same year engines of their step sisters that had separate oil for engine and gearbox.
    Blakduk and Big Willy like this.
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    +1 I think it is very much related to recreational/trail riding and former road/touring users, Never ever heard a rider with enduro or motocross background make such a complaint... a lot to do with riders own throttle application/modulation.

Using various throttle hand piece cams, or EFI map can help smooth things out... but "getting used to it" mostly works for me in the past.

Anyone who complains of snappy/twitchy throttle on a modern EFI bike (I know the criticism has been levelled in ADV circles leveled at FE Huskies, 990 KTM's, and several of the jap and euro 460 enduro's) shoild some time on any 70's (pre-powervalve technology) two stroke mx'er. :deal

Thease were the worse two I ever rode...

[​IMG]
    Honda CR125 Esinore

[​IMG]
    Suzuki RM 125 A

Compared to these... everything else has a smooooth throttle application... :nod :lol3
  8. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    I rest my case your Honour.:D
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    They should've made it a DCT
    Bhart89 and badmanners like this.
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    But our Bergs are of mostly the later models ie 500’s. Regardless the 500/XC4 engines are robust. Quite an achievement considering they werent built for high mileage/hours but more for longevity in a racing environment.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    "It also has longer engine life and less maintainance than the Euro princesses which has to be a huge plus.":jack

:scratch Wot? Like the 5k service interval on both my KTM's that have both over 50k on them and use zero oil and don't leak either? The motors that are still getting refreshed at well over 200k and still going strong? You mean like that sort of highly strung?

Golly.:confused
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not one comment from another owner.

Hmmm.

Pretty big echos in here.....
    digga1111 and BygDaddee like this.
  13. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son will probably buy himself a 450L or if they make a Rally version probably get that due to the fact it may have bigger tanks.

I believe it read that the 450L makes 4hp less than the 450X with the same suspension internals, valving specs etc.
    Pretty sure the X and L have a different cam profile and naturally different mapping in the ECU.

In saying all that i myself would not be too fussed on oil changed as quoted by Honda at 1000km.
    I would go past that for trail riding type riding as the engine is not at WOT not so much of the time.
    GSXR and FatBoyCrash like this.
  14. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what price they are out the door? Go on, scare me.
  15. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd wait a while as they don't seem to be selling, there is sure to be a fire sale soon..:clap
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  16. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    From Kasu:
    "In saying all that i myself would not be too fussed on oil changed as quoted by Honda at 1000km.
    I would go past that for trail riding type riding as the engine is not at WOT not so much of the time"

Spot on I reckon. The XR service interval was also at 1000km, and who abided by that?
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The XR6 service interval was 1000 miles, or 1600 kilometres.

I did it at 500k intervals (as advised by Geoff Ballard), religiously (unless on a ride longer than 500k, obviously).

When it sucked the choke plate in at around 30k+ it wasn't using a drop of oil, still went rather well, and didn't rattle or have any problems (apart from the one that just occured..). I suspect I could have stretched it to easily 45k if the choke plate hadn't gone walkabout. Properly cared for, they last a long time for an air-cooled single. An inmate here stopped rebuilding his XR6 at 330k because the crankcases wore out, the rest of it was still serviceable.

But abuse a late-model bike service interval and it could turn nasty. Remember the oil jets in the heads of Honda 750 fours? Oil gets a bit dirty, cam seizes. The little holes in the oil jets block with sludge/crud really easily. You won't know until it blows, then it's too late eh.
  18. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Wont be long til a Merican (shit...not much different spelling to Mexican) does an oil analysis and then all will be revealed.

Kasu...I don't think the fact that a bike is not WOT is the be all and end all to long oil life.
    I think a bike that is running up and down the gears, clutch in and out, on and off the throttle may actually degrade the oil faster...not sure.

I really think an oil analysis by several riders under different conditions with the same oil would be the best judge (or even better the same rider under different conditions)
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Saw a new one on the back of a ute yesterday, new from Dalby Moto. Said that Craig mentioned that he is selling a few of them now.

Buyer plans and runs the Theodore Trail Rides.
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  20. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Was thinking more along the lines of 400 in this case GS