Riley 250 -2019 Now updating for ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶ 2021

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 97707, Apr 20, 2018.

1. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update @97707 .

April is somewhat booked for me already. I might have to catch you guys on the next one. We’ll see.
  2. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fire and Ice!
    97707 likes this.
  3. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    About an hour and a half
    Apple Jam and 97707 like this.
  4. Go_find_a_tree

Go_find_a_tree Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps April 17th? Or May 1st
    This ride is high on my list of trips for this year. I'll make an effort to be there any weekend except april 24th.
    Long range forecasters calling for a cool wet April but it's always a wait and see game.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  5. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd probably miss out if it was May 1 but could make any April weekend.
  6. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not sufficiently masochistic for this gravel iron-ass ride -- I could blame it on fuel capacity on my current ride -- but I could attend at the start/finish, and provide emergency sag-wagon services.
  7. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:
    For the insufficiently masochistic, there is the Hampton cutoff. Ride the south trail to Glass Butte, and bail there . . . take the pavement back to camp. Maybe 64/66 orso dirt/slab.

BTW, no gas at Hampton. They have a sign up says they've been closed since last March.

Come for the party, Matt.

matloik and unclehoot like this.
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Yes, always wait and see. It seems like May 1st may be too late. And riding it too late can be dusty hell with lots of loose sand.
  9. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Well F we're pretty close. Do we wanna just say "on April 16-18 we ride" and deal with whatever we find?

Already determined there's not much snow (relatively). Not sure if there are other schedule issues but if May 1 risks being too late, and at least one guy doesn't like April 24, maybe we just stab the pig and see if it's ripe.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  10. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    I'm good with that
  11. 97707

Oddometer:

This is a route. Its not an organized ride. There are no guides, there are no sweep riders, there are no head counts . . . not unless your party puts that together for itself.

Any one wants to, can do it whenever it suits you. You don't need a date posted. Just go do it.

That said, some of it is remote. Some of it is a long walk to a well traveled road. You are better to do it with a few ride buds. And enough flat fix gear, and tools, and food and water to do a self rescue if it came to that.

To my thinking, its better for smaller groups than a mob of twenty. So find a date that works for you and find some ride partners and let us know how it went.

JC690 and Commiehunter like this.
  12. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Alright I'm in for April 17-18.

Fast people wanna join? I think I'm above average speed off pavement.

I have tools, tire repair equipment, and can be self sufficient plus assist others if it comes to self recovery.

Looks like two of us in if @BobcatSig wants to join and anyone else who likes that weekend.
  13. Go_find_a_tree

Oddometer:
    Ha, so I spoke too soon, I'm out the 17th 18th, home boss has to work so I got railroaded for other duties.
    Damn did want to miss this, might make use of the tracks on a different day.
  14. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going the weekend of April 24th with my brother
    I am not doing the whole Riley250 though.
    Just part of the south section since my brothers CRF250L does not have the range.
  15. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said. Does it always have to be all together? Be Adventurous!

I think 97707 is concerned, for VERY good reason, that too many riders will show up and increase the odds that this tuff-a$$ 10-ish hour kinda fun ride will turn into a 12-15 hour ride that really sucks.

Do you have GPS tracks you can post on page one, 97707? Or are the google maps good enough? Normally Google maps suck bad at not showing the remotest and best bad roads that we all crave.
  16. Big Tall Bastard

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't post the tracks publicly. The secret will be out and the route overused quickly. Send them privately to share
    outbacktm likes this.
  17. 97707

Oddometer:

Far as I know, the posted track can be followed just fine. I have followed it the whole way.

If you want more remote and bad roads, they are out there. The desert is spider webbed with them.

And yeah, you're right. The challenge is not so much rock gardens and hill climbs with this one. Its just the length and the time it takes to complete. So quick and light is better.

I expect most of us have experienced how bigger groups are slower. 'Nuff said about that.

I think this was said once before. The ownership in that area is a checkerboard of BLM and National Forest and private. You go thru several wire cattle gates. All it would take is one incident to get the road closed by a pissed off rancher.

So yeah. More traffic is not an asset to us.

BobcatSig likes this.
  18. Go_find_a_tree

Oddometer:
    I got the south half route gpx downloaded from the link on page one. Is there a gpx file for the north half?
    I suppose I can generate one from the google map but figured it might exist.
    Putting together a plan for May 1st weekend if anyone else wants to plan around that weekend also?
  19. ganski

ganski Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Go_find_a_tree

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding this route Saturday?
    Commiehunter likes this.