Riley 250 -2019 Now updating for ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶ 2021

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 97707, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about the nasty ruts, sharp rocks, and deep sand?
    Oh, that's right,...you just flew over all that shit in 4th gear!!

That beast kicked my ass! After a good fall and not being in good enough shape for such a gnarly ride, I failed and bailed out to Hampton. Worst road conditions ever on the South run.

Whatever, I still had a great weekend camping in the CO sunshine!!
  2. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:

That March 31 scout trip I posted showed that even tho the mud wasn't all dried up, the dry spots were getting soft. When the sand is damp like it was on the first Riley ride, those desert roads are candy. In 2019 they were drying out a tad more that you'd like.

There hasn't been any rain out that way hardly all spring. Its likely only gonna get drier and softer now unless we get some. The forecast calls for a trace next weekend, but probably not enough to damp the sand.

This is for Brothers:
    weather brothers 4-21.JPG

So its gonna be either do it and deal with the sand traps . . . or wait and see if there's a good window.

Or maybe this wasn't a year for prime conditions.

3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Wait, snow was still present on this ride? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked. :D
    97707 likes this.
  4. 97707

Oddometer:

:-) Congrats on making it.

Riley snow.jpg

Give us the north half report. Especially the high country part. How many snowed in sections? How deep and how long were they?

How was the mud after you went thru the gate and down along the ridge to Bulger?

I guess you guys didn't stop at the ghost ranch.

5. 97707

Oddometer:
    Anyone else went and has pics to post up?

6. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My opinion? Snow was nothing to worry about. There were maybe a dozen sections, the longest being maybe 30 or 40 feet. Most of the snow we blasted through without a second thought. My brother stopped in one of them and took a little push to get going again. That's it. All the snow was in the shade in a canyon in the East side of the North half. None up high.

No mud to speak of. There were a couple spots where there may have been puddles in the ruts but we didn't have to ride off the road to find a perfectly dry line.

The only places we stopped were Riley (gas and fluids and snacks) and a couple remote snack stops where the views were good.

I had a great time. We could have ridden it a couple weekends earlier. Might have had a slight bit more work in the snow but not much. Personally, I'd rather ride in existing conditions, than wait for conditions to be perfect, and not end up riding at all.

Attached Files:

7. Moto_Jaren

Moto_Jaren n00b

Oddometer:
    I was on the 1090. My thoughts on the ride.

• Pretty dang dusty all the way into Riley. Was a nice calm day in the AM which made it hang a little.
    • Sand sections weren't all that bad at all, maybe a combined 5 miles of decently soft stuff during the whole south section to Riley
    • You could tell a week or two prior it was probably pretty soggy in some sections on the south side and there was a good 10-15 mile stretch with ruts that you had to try and ride in between and avoid getting sucked in.
    • Rocky, but that's Central Oregon for ya!
    • Snow sections were basically a non-event. Our group (two WR250s and me) were the first through and it was a cakewalk. Not much mud.
    • We ended up turning around and heading out to highway 20 right at the "Dust Bowl" on cinder butte road due to my buddy's bike having some fuel delivery issues. Was a good call as we had some moments where we had to pull over on the slab ride back from Glass buttes to Bend. Didn't want to get stuck deeper in the back country with a dead bike as opposed to just on the side of the highway where recovery would be easier
    Our trip stats for the day
    • We left bend at 6:30 am
    • Total miles for us all the way from Bend and back was 283 miles
    • 11 hours and 54 minutes ride time
    • moving speed average was 29mph
    • Moving time was just about 10 hours and stopped time was 2 hours on the dot

Attached Files:

8. 97707

Oddometer:

Nice job.

9. 97707

Oddometer:
    This from back on the 2018 ride. Weather was cool and sprinkling, but the desert roads were fast.

Riley pic.JPG

You can see the fresh tracks. Hardly any dry sand. We didn't know how good we had it.

The snow was gone from the north half, but we did get sleeted on for about a half hour.

10. Go_find_a_tree

Go_find_a_tree Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I linked the unedited video, so this is the actual video. Shorter with Music and commentary.

11. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Nice edit! I watched the original, too, but the second clip is dope!
  12. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everything is packed, leaving in the morning
    Doing the Non-Riley250.
    Just going to Road 25 and hang out and ride for a few days
    Brother and I
    Apple Jam, Commiehunter and 97707 like this.
  13. Moto_Jaren

Moto_Jaren n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is a little video from last weekends ride

Apple Jam and Go_find_a_tree like this.
  14. 97707

Oddometer:
    Tell us how it went when you get back.

15. hippie

hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what was the problem with the wr?
  16. 97707

Oddometer:

Very nice job with the video production. The drone shots really make it look good.

Moto_Jaren and Apple Jam like this.
  17. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Things were a bit dusty on Thursday and Friday, but it rained just a bit on Friday night.
    Saturday was no dust and occasional sprinkles which kept the trails nice and tight.
    Did not get out of the East Fort Rock OHV area, just checked out different staging areas besides Road 25.
    Left late on Saturday and just finished unloading and cleanup.

The southern part would have been awesome on Saturday, fresh, damp.
    97707 and outbacktm like this.
  18. 97707

Oddometer:

Thanks for the report.

The weather guesser says more rain today than yesterday. I can hear the thunder rumble, but don't know where its falling.

Mid week coming up might be prime for the ride.

19. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    2 of us did Brothers west to East Fork Rock this afternoon and the ice warning was flashing on my 1090. It snowed like a mother and temps ranged from 50 to 29.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  20. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the people planning for May 1 may get it pretty good, if it keeps up like that this week.
    97707 likes this.