1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Rim Strips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lightsorce, Jul 29, 2007.

1. lightsorce

lightsorce Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer:
    :freaky I've got to get some opinions on something I read in a well respected motorcycle magazine. The source is a true pro and definitely no rookie. It still sounds crazy to me though.:uhoh
    What do you guys think about using tape instead of the rim strip on your motorcycle wheels?:krusty JUST ASKING......
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Lots of people do this....and lots don't.

Is there a real problem you're trying to resolve?
  3. lightsorce

lightsorce Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer:
    More specifically I was wondering if anyone had experience with the technique and whether the direction of the wrap of the tape or the tape types were different in the quality of installation. :freaky
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    What I have found is that if you tend to not wear out tires pretty quickly, the tape glue can harden and actually be a bit nasty on the tube.

I've used duct tape and electrical tape with good success riding Lord knows how many miles over the years, but it's because I didn't have a rim strip, or it had deteriorated to the point it was unuseable when I mounted a tire somewhere where a strip wasn't available.

If you need to use tape, double wrap it, and plan to have to replace it with a strip or new tape when you change the tire.

YMMV.
  5. Jamming

Jamming Desert RAT

Oddometer:
    I always used "good" Duct Tape, no cheap stuff.

I had Lester Wheels on my Airhead RS and they leaked after a 100,000 miles. So I painted the inside with a couple of coats of cheap rattle can black...fixed.