Rimrocker return loop ?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pprO.R.A., Jul 12, 2019.

1. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    I have searched with no results here. Hopefully inmates have good suggestions. I am looking for an alternate return loop from Moab after running the RR trail. I just don't want to back track the whole thing. After looking at maps and Google Earth about the only thing I came up with is return via Geyser Pass / Geyser Creek road to Buckeye Res. or further south on LaSal pass to join Two Mile Rd. just NE of town of LaSAL.

Any local ideas of better options ?
  2. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Kokopelli to Fruita and Grand Junction. Then you could run down the Uncompaghre
  3. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Yeah Norm that was a thought, but that puts us a little too far north for our rig based out of the Nucla area. After the koko it would be lots of gravel road and slab. I have searched and came up with the option of John Brown Canyon rd. to Gateway, but that is mind numbing gravel for ever, not to mention the trek from Gateway back to Nucla. We will be on light dirtbikes.
    NMTrailboss likes this.
  4. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Am I the only guy who has thought about looping this cool RR trail ? I guess most people are on bigger bikes that don't mind the miles of graded gravel or slab, or have a sag vehicle in Moab to load up once there.
  5. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    KOKO to Fruita, up to Glade Park, Down Sheep Creek, the the UNC. Still a bunch of gravel.
  6. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    I am not familiar with Glade park or Sheep Creek,, would be something new to me. Still seems like a longer way home.
    I am inclined to think the Geyser Pass/ Geyser Creek route would be the most direct way (still gravel) to rejoin the RR at Buckeye.
    @SAM13 probably has the best intel being a local dirt rider.
  7. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there is gas available in the town of La Sal ?
  8. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    No gas in La Sal.
    I have thought about a more fun way to do this route, but haven't taken the time to research. I have a friend who rode from Moab back to Naturita on old tracks and mining roads, but I think he definitely crossed some private in the process. He is not the type to follow all the exact rules. @mylsmkj might have some insight into other options coming off the La Sals.
    My kid wants to do a Rimrocker ride to Moab this year. We would probably try to ride some of the singletrack off the southern/Divide Rd side, maybe camp around Buckeye. He is only 11, but his bike is plated and we would ideally hope to just "slide" into Moab under the radar...
    mylsmkj likes this.
  9. AdamNurmi

AdamNurmi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not in the town, but if you stray a little off the beaten path there is the Three Step Hideaway, they have gas onsite.
  10. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks M&R, on Google earth there is 1 single gas pump at Ana's store next to post office in La Sal. I tried calling the ph# but it was out of service, so I don't know if they are open still or sell fuel to the public. My calculations are about 110 miles from Iron camp or Columbine Pass outside of Nucla to Moab, might be stretching it on 250X with stock tank. We could start at Buckeye Res. and gain fuel range, going Sept 11-18. We are doing half week out of Silverton on the Alpine Loop area, then a couple days on Rimrocker, you are welcome to join us (2- 50+ guys) on light bikes, and maybe give us some ideas on Alpine must see stuff.
  11. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AdamNurmi , I am afraid the 3step is to much of a detour southwards for our trip this time.
  12. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the Bedrock store sells gas again? It has been open again. That dirt road connecting Uravan to Bedrock is a great road, following the San Migueldown, then up the Dolores to Bedrock.
  13. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    The section for critical fuel range is the one from outside Nucla (start for us) to Moab, gas in La Sal would be perfect.
  14. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts from a local FF:

If you are spending a night in Moab and thus have plenty of time the next day to get back to the Montrose area you might head to the former Dewey Bridge (on highway 128) and connect to Gateway either by fording the Dolores river and then dropping off Sheep Creek (someone mentioned it earlier), OR connect from Dewey to Gateway (upper John Brown Canyon area) directly. Now, I haven't ridden that last suggestion myself but have heard that there is at least one way of connecting this. You'd have to do some searching on the maps for it. Once in Gateway - where there is fuel - you can head up to the Divide Road via road 405 to Uranium Road (405), or jump off it and climb up a bunch of it on Ute Creek Trail (#608; single track). That track brings you back up onto Uranium Road eventually. Once up on Divide Road you have some single track options here and there and some jeep trails as well to head back south-east towards the Montrose area. To get back off the Uncompahgre Plateau and into Montrose you can take Transfer Road partially and then continue down via some smaller stuff (I'll outline it if you're interested).
    Proettermann and Rossmoesis like this.
  15. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Cool info there Uli, I will save your response for good routes, I decided to buy some Wolfman E-12s and can strap on primus bottles ea side plus carry street clothes/sandles for Moab and extend feul range past 80-100 stock and carry stuff minimalist.
    Thank You for your suggestions, Dewey is a haul from town, and then up to Gateway (fuel) how many miles do you figure?
  16. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want some challenge but easy navigation and beautiful La Sal pass is money.
    Geyser pass is decent but busy.
    I think the best route is up sand flats to kokopelli to the la sal loop to castle valley then up the hill to the east. Check out the Dino tracks on the rim then continue John brown to gateway. Fill up and go on your merry way.

Honestly there’s lots of other options too... but 80 mile range is limiting
  17. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks mylsmkj, I have done La Sal pass and agreed it is beautiful, but it makes for a lot of back tracking the RR trail.
    Geyser is the quickest most direct way, but long gravel.
    I like yours and Uli and the rest of mountain folks suggestions, sand flats rd - Koko - la sal - JB rd- Gateway- Sheep creek - UNC etc.
    Thanks for the wealth of info guys, really appreciated.
    Uli, I might PM you for more details on the CO/ Uncompaghre side.
  18. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is some pictures from sheep creek trail coming from the Colorado monument into gateway. I took these last Sunday. Very nice road. Seems like they did some maintenance to the road and it would be possible to go up from the gateway side on a small dirt bike or mid sized bike.

Good luck with your travels and post some pictures

Attached Files:

RockyMtnScotsman and RideFreak like this.
  19. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rossmoesis, I am still pondering the best option for return trails. What is the "Colorado monument" ?
  20. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Colorado national monument outside of grand junction. You ride through it if you want to take sheep creek trail down into gateway or the reverse.

Attached Files: