RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Uke, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Total respect to his family, friends and bandmates to allow him to go out on his own terms. It's been half a lifetime ago, but the pain of living with Mom's last 14 months as she was taken by a GBM is still too fresh, I only hope I might maintain something approaching the dignity and selfless love she shared as she faced the inevitable.

In one respect, Mom and Neil Peart had much in common, how one dies is trivial compared to how one has chosen to live.
  2. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I'm late to post this as I have been on You Tube and other sites "mourning" the loss of this person who felt like great friend I never met. In 1977 as a young punk ass long hair drummer I heard Rush 2112 and was of course blown away. It changed my life. Whether you like this band or not ( and many do not) you cannot listen to thier work and his drumming and not be impressed. He was a genius at his craft. No one debates that. He also loved to ride. Probably somewhere over 200k miles in his last 30 years or so. Iron butt? Yep.. he did it. Many times. BMW dealers across the country came to know him as he was a regular there.

So for 40 years he and two other Canadians put out a bunch a great rock albums and tour constantly to sold out arena's around the world. The best part is whenever possible he rode his GS ( went through 4 or 5 I think up to a 2014 wet head) from concert to concert!!! Are you kidding me?? Who does that? The other two guys ( also great, grounded professionals and incredibly gifted) are flying private from Seattle to Denver and Neil and his co-rider ( in case one bike broke down he had to get to the show where 20k people were waiting!!) are waking up in a Walmart parking lot 100 miles out of Seattle, unloading two GS's and then proceeding to ride through whatever conditions 300-500 miles ( 300 max on a "show day") to get to the next gig! This was not some flight of fancy that he did a few times. HE DID IT FOR 30 YEARS!!

That's who he was. He rode the same way we all do. Cold, wet, tired, elated. Patching tires and changing his own oil in front of road side hotels where we all stay for pennies a night. This is a man who will go down in history as one of the best drummers EVER with millions in his checking account and this is how he chose to get to work. This is how he chose to travel. Oh sure a 4 seasons or two if in a big city but he's stayed in more Best Westerns than any of us.

Even if your mot a RUSH fan. Even if you don't like to read that much. Read a couple of his books. Far and Near ,Far and Away , Ghost Rider any of them. He does not talk much about the music. He writes about life and motorcycling. He was one of us but far smarter than I will ever be.

Too long a post I know but still sad and at 60 years old I know my days are numbered. It's just a matter of how I spend the time.
    Texer, Overdog, sky44 and 6 others like this.
  3. TBickell

Oddometer:

When he was not drumming he was riding. More miles on multiple GS's than we will know. Same roads..... same stuff...... and yet
  4. TBickell

Oddometer:
    Great post from that You Tube video that show's how great this guy was as a drummer. Scary part he was even better as a human being.
    If you watch only 2 minutes of this know that he probably changed his own oil on his 2014 GS ( he never liked the addition weight of the adventure model even though he was certainly big enough to handle it) backstage before sound check. Bass ass??? Yep. He was that.
  5. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first Rush album was the second album I bought in Junior high, they rock.

When I rode to Alaska in 1997 I hit the Canadian border and my MP3 shuffle had been playing a Rush song for the last several miles. I mentioned it to the Canadian border officer and he had a chuckle.

On my way back south Rush was playing again when I got to the border in Washington...

I am going again in 2022 so we'll see what happens then.
  6. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving Pictures was the first album I ever bought.
    As a cassette to play in my brand-new Sony Walkman.
    Still one of my favorite albums of all time.
    Their stuff is “the tits” as we Americans might say. :cry
    Texer, patrkbukly and ccmickelson like this.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peart's music wasn't to my taste but I own all his books and enjoyed them all. My youngest brother, a professional drummer like Peart, and a rock & roller nearly the same age as Peart, was critical of Peart's drumming when I brought him up some years back after reading one of the books.
    But then, what would I, a non-musician know?
    He seemed a nice sort of guy who remained balanced even with success. The least favorite of the books for me was the one where he trailered his bike with the band but it's still an OK read for a riders, just not the literary work his other books happened to be. One book is centered on an African bicycle tour he rode with.
    Death must have been cathartic for Neil Peart given the earlier loss of his family members.
  8. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
  9. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was listening to them today up on the hill. The musicianship, and the drumming in particular, on Tom Sawyer is so freaking good. Alex Lifeson's solo's are mind bending.
    Texer likes this.
  10. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, and part of what always mesmorized me with Alex's solos was how effortless he physically made them look.
    In villa strangiato live to watch him deliver such contrast of an "audio-mind-ride" vs his "physical-calm".
    YYZ Rush and ccmickelson like this.
  11. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    If you haven't seen their documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage it's worth checking out. Some early footage when they were pimple-faced young punks and Alex literally never putting the guitar down. It's the whole 10,000 hours thing...
  12. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    No offense, but from a 40 year + drummer, I just don't see how that's possible.
  13. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Ive seen it. I loved it.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  14. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Hey Peter,
    Ok now thats yet another dimension of bliss. Man I remember getting my 1st Walkman (which actually was a cheap brand prior to the actual Walkman). It came with a sound effects cassette which included audio of a fighter jet taking off and moving from left to right earside and it was absolutely mind blowing. What a cool time.

Attached Files:

airheadPete and ccmickelson like this.
  15. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was Ozzy with the beginning of Crazy Train for me...
    beemeruss and ccmickelson like this.
  16. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Well then I guess I better play these 2 cards....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lollygag, Uke, globalt38 and 2 others like this.
  17. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. The Ozzy date! The ticket prices!
  18. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Yea and all the prices were the same back then , it was just a matter of where you were in line for best seats. We would skip out of school Wed-Fri and camp at the record store sidewalk for tickets going on sale Saturday morning for many concerts (these tickets were not an example of such).
    Guys around us would be buying the 10 tickets you were allowed so they could scalp em. We just wanted our two to see the shows.
    Good times.
    Uke, Texer and YYZ Rush like this.
  19. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    I'm going off the rails of this thread with this awesome cover of Sabbath's War Pigs by Georgia''s own sister duo, Larkin Poe. They're so good!

patrkbukly and globalt38 like this.
  20. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Well done. MAkes me think I should play this card in response to that remake. (yea I know...Deo. But I did see VH open for them I think in 78 but can't find my stub)>
    [​IMG]
    ccmickelson likes this.