Rip off exhausts from China?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drussdog, Dec 7, 2016.

1. drussdog

drussdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been looking at upgrading my exhaust from standard to an aftermarket model.

Spoke to a guy who sells the real things and rip offs from China. Price is about a 1/3 of the real thing and he states that the quality difference is more like 10%. look wise i can see much difference on the outside

Has anyone bought some and how did they find them.

Hey if i can save a few hundred bucks, why not. But i don't want to waste my money either. :muutt
  2. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see an example.
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get what you paid for. I don't mind putting Chinese crap like headlight or radiator guard but the exhaust I wouldn't.
  4. drussdog

Oddometer:
    Same model is on the Geek website, its a direct from china seller.
  5. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    I suppose this isn't the forum to make comments/arguments against the knock off stuff from china because of trade war/intellectual property theft.....

but that said, I try to avoid the knock offs from any country, especially china, because historically the quality of the metal has been substantially less. Lower grade stuff and frequently thinner etc.

IMO, buy the good shit once, not the bad shit then the good shit, but ymmv
    thirsty 1 and GS Addict like this.
  6. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Link?
  7. crotchrocket3000

crotchrocket3000 b00b

Oddometer:
    What about the quality if the matting / baffle material inside? Thats the stuff that counts. I had a half decent Leo Vince and my 1200GS blew the insides out within a year and it sounded crap!
  8. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I put a Chi starter on an "R", it cranks just fine, looks good , costs 58 bucks New.

Talked to a few BMW guys and it gets good reviews.

If we are talking exhaust after the cat I don't believe much is required from that component anyway.
  9. DMilan

DMilan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The buick envision, for sale now at your local government motors dealer is built in China and shipped here for sale.
    If it's good enough for the general....
  10. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    could all be fine.....but not buying knock of stuff from China is and area of life where I put my money where my mouth is. IMO it's one thing if a company is having something produced there, but when it's just a Chi-Com operation ripping the intellectual property off of the designer and producing 200 instead of 100 to sell at a profit; or using the design and then producing with downgraded materials, I say "no".....Supporting those outfits hurts legitimate businesses.
    AwolArn, Switchglide12 and WYO George like this.
  11. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    So what is the "upgrade" here? Performance or status? You're not likely to acheive either, except in your own mind, chinese rip-off or not. Buy the one that makes you feel good, after all, that is the end result with our purchases these days, no?
  12. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Push off your intellectual property for cheap manufacturing in china? Too bad, going to be ripped off and sold out the back door. Can't have it both ways.

I don't know what "geek" website this is that has these knock off exhausts, but would like to see them.
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  13. Scourge

Scourge Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess if you think a muffler should cost $750 then buy the real one. If you think it should cost 1/3 of that buy the knock-off. The intellectual property gets stolen because the $750 one is often made there in the same factory on the same equipment as the "crap" one. The third shift guys make the cheap ones to sell for themselves.

My bike came with the BMW brand one that looks fine and performs well. I can spend $10k and it will still sound like a boxer so this is a zero dollar problem for me. :)
    JimVonBaden and taz_va like this.
  14. Jack D

Jack D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Supporting those outfits hurts legitimate businesses" With all due respect the more I see of BMW and their business model the more I question their legitimacy or at least their corporate ethics.
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  15. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any company that sends intellectual property to China is simply giving it away, and their product WILL be ripped off and will see their own product with a different label.

The Chinese are simply exposing your business model and selling the same product at a lesser profit. To them it's like making a copy of a song or piece of software.

It's great for the buyer. Until there is no more innovation because no one likes to work for free
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  16. Scourge

Scourge Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quality for quality, I only agree with that statement if the product is made by the "legitimate business" themselves. If they leveraged near slave labor in a foreign land to make a buck why shouldn't I skip them as a middleman to save one?

I'll go out of my way to spend money with a real craftsman in a local economy but that sentiment does not really extend to giant global companies.
  17. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    A fair and obvious point I had somehow overlooked...it isn't like they don't know that's going to happen...lol
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    My Chicomm $50.00 (free shipping) starter works fine and spins the boxer with more vigor than the OE Valeo.

I would like a link to the Chicomm oilhead muffler. Anybody?
  19. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    I don't see anywhere in this thread that suggests the Chinese exhaust in question includes an oilhead specific muffler.
  20. drussdog

Oddometer:
    https://geek.wish.com/ then search for exhausts. The size they guy had in his shop fits the Bimmer

Why upgrade, my standard muffler has a hell of dent it in after a fall onto a rock. Probably does not effect the performance. Replacement BMW unit is super expensive.

China is making some good stuff now, the most modern factories in the world in a lot of regions and the quality is excellent. Yes they used to and in some cases still do make crap but a lot of good quality gear is coming out now days.

My company buys from china, our buyers came back with photos showing brand new German machinery and robotics in the factory. looked more like a lab.

Its so cheap i am going to take a leap of faith and hey if it sucks it sucks.
    sidetrack one likes this.