RIP Sandy Harbut

Discussion in 'Australia' started by K2m, Nov 21, 2020.

1. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    :( ........... As seen here with the beautiful Rebecca Gilling in the Domain back in the day ...... Long live the seventies ....... We were so free ..... Not like today FFS ....... News is about 2 hours old I think ....... I don't know anything more. ........ Stone was one of the most important Australian motorcycle films as it impacted all of us riders back in the day .... It was the time of the two strokes . My mom was in it ..... She was dating Hooks in real life.

19983384_1472692779517316_4744009837244677128_o.jpg

Attached Files:

2. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    126434740_10218866271756517_2587878706887102362_o.jpg
  3. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Well Toad is still around. (Hugh Keays -Byrne)
    The last film sighting AFAIK was in the last Mad Max film.

I never saw Ken Shorter in much afterwards though. (The title role)
    K2m likes this.
  5. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't Hugh also write Ode to a Locksmith?
  6. GSnovice

GSnovice Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer:
    Feck me! We tried to edumacate a coupla youngsters on Friday night, by introducing them to Stone...they feigned tiredness just before the fight with the Blackhawks. Vale Sandy, wonder if they'll bury you standing up?
    K2m, GodSilla and numbat like this.
  7. gavineakins

gavineakins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad he was amongst us. What an ace film.

Cheers - Gavin
  8. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Keep ya spanners off our moles

RIP Sandy
    K2m, numbat and GSnovice like this.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That is genuinely sad news.

His reward for making the best bikie film ever made (and the highest-grossing Aussie film for many years) was to be shunned by the gutless conservative local industry for the rest of his life. Shame on them all.

I attended a 20th (?) anniversary tour of the film at the National Gallery Theatre with a mate, they showed the Margaret Pomeranz-produced documentary first, then the film, with Sandy Harbutt talking and freely answering questions afterwards, he was warm and generous and forthcoming, an honest broker and a nice bloke. I bought a CD version there of the film music soundtrack, which scared the shit out of me because (unknown to me) it also included some dialogue, which I only discovered when after the first track the hi-fi yelled out "SAAAAAATAAAAAN !".

I would dearly like to attend his funeral and pay my heartfelt respects if that is at all possible for me to do (though it may well not be possible due to distance and timing). If anyone finds out when this may occur, please post here.

Very very sad, a true loss. Visionaries only come along rarely. RIP Sandy Harbutt, you are not forgotten here.
  10. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How good would it be if Sandy could be buried in the now closed Gore Hill Cemetery?

Kiwi Castrol 6-hour stars Craig Brown and Brian Martin did the Stone v Captain Midnight stunts.

Brian and I rode Yamaha TT500s in the Orange Qantastic enduro and we both at some stage rode Super Rats - Brian winning the Australian 125 MX title on his.

When Craig was living at Nerrigundah I remember he was very quick in an enduro on an XR250.

Good times.
  11. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    The band, Type O Negative ?
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was reading the producer's wiki yesterday and he was saying his biggest fail in life was not getting funding for Harbut again.
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Here's his wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Harbutt

And to address the reference above, a quote from it :

Producer David Hannay who worked with Harbutt on Stone said the most "negative experience" he had as a filmmaker in a career of over three decades was not being able to get finance for Harbutt to make another film:

"Why have I failed? What is wrong with me? I have failed this person who is such an important part of my life, this person with enormous talent, this extraordinary human being, and I have failed him totally and absolutely. It really is the major low point in my life; if I really dwell on it, I get very angry.... I should have made a difference. Because I should have been able to make it happen. He is far more talented than 999 of the 1000 other people I know... "
    tomo8r likes this.
  14. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    vagueout and darren70 like this.
  15. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:
    1974 Sydney Locations On Stone Slideshow. Sandy Harbutt.

CCM/GARRY, GodSilla and Ron50 like this.
  16. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's great to see these replies. I think I'm in mourning :(

In the closing credits Doug Parkinson sings Do not go gentle into that good night ..... A poem about resistance to dying by Dylan Thomas

So adept for Sandy
    Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
    It is widely assumed that Dylan Thomas wrote this popular poem for the imminent death of his elderly father, but it can be read in memory of anyone who has died, whether it is your father, grandfather, mother, grandmother, or even a child. The poem might be especially appropriate for the funeral of a Welsh person who has died.

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they Do not go gentle into that good night. Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay, Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, Do not go gentle into that good night. Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay, Rage, rage against the dying of the light. And you, my father, there on the sad height, Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Burns Bay Road ....... I rode my RT2 ..... Yam 360 trail along here from Drummoyne to work in Neutral Bay on those P76's :) ..... There was a crest I went over most days on the back wheel ...... 1974

numbat, DOT, GSnovice and 1 other person like this.
  17. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spotto!

P76 parked on side of Pac Highway in Gore Hill at 1:10
  18. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bugger. RIP Sandy. Back in the day, he lived next door to my brother in Neutral Bay - on a side lane of the road used in the race sequence - and of an evening was generally to be seen in the smoke-filled Riley out the front.
  19. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    I believe a former member now barred was in the movie
  20. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I lived at Neutral Bay then too, where the bus stop is now. I fell off on the same corner Stone did, before he did. I wasn't racing though. Great bit of road. I reckon it was a pretty ordinary movie actually, but that's how art is, some likes it, some don't.
    K2m and The Bigfella like this.