Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was time to step up and start my own thread. I've been lurking long enough and have read a lot of threads from other inmates that have encouraged me to make some of the mods to the bike that I have always wanted to do, so thank you. This is the 4th GS that I've owned. So here it is.

A bit of history first. I bought my 1990 R100GSPD from Christchurch a few years back through Trademe. Hit the "Buy Now" and flew down the next day. This is what I bought, a 150,000km rat bike:

[​IMG]

The ride home was terrible. The "fairing" caused my helmet to wobble with the turbulence it made. Plus it came with the original fairings so they were strapped across the back.

So once home, it was off with the Mad Max rat bike features and back on with the old fairing and bull bars:

[​IMG]

Still not happy with the matt black paint scheme, I finally got it painted back to a simplified version of the original colours. A few trips around the country suggested to me that the forks needed upgrading (Got sick of watching KTM's cruising past while I was wrestling with the front end...), so mods began:

[​IMG]

And finally ended up with this:

[​IMG]

The front end came off a 2000 YZ250F. Shortened 70mm to bring it in line with the standard Beemer travel. The head stem was removed and a replacement one turned down to take the original BMW bearings and shortened to the original BMW length.

This allowed the top fork crown to pass just under the instrument panel. The Forks had already been serviced by MotoSR and some discussions came up with suitable oil levels and a bit of tuning of compression and rebound has given a firm sealed road ride, but a great off road handling, with no issues of bottoming out or flexing under breaking.

A 320mm oversize disc and mounting kit was sourced out of China at half the price of anything else and was on the door step with in 3 days of placing the order. So far it has proved to be worth it.

An Ohlins rear shock will go on once I've had it rebuilt so this will hopefully sort out the handling issues at the back of the bike, and match the springing rate of the front.

With 207,000km on the clock now, it's also time to get the gearbox serviced and the clutch replaced, just waiting for xmas to pass and some much needed love will go into the internals...
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Always liked the red & white.
    Have you replaced the driveshaft?
  3. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    sweet ride, that front end looks trick, very well done:clap
  4. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Very nice, and yeah the red and white looks good.
  5. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Nice :)
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see the rise & rise of the Airheads in this section...:D. That was always my favourite colour scheme.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes....

Initially tried a rebuild of the original, but that didn't last very long. So decided to get a new shaft and got the taiwanese unit. They are a very nice piece of engineering.

Unfortunately the bearings collapsed after about 10,000km. The suppliers, Motor Works, have been great and ended up supplying heavy duty bearings. Apparently they are now being supplied with the heavy duty bearings.

So far so good
  8. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    One of things that is more pressing on Schmidt I have to do. i got my one rebuilt but is not good after 10K or so. Not a cheap part but prob cheaper than a service on an oilhead - that's how I justiy it anyway:D I'm glad they have sorted out the taiwanese ones now.

What did you do with your stock front end? My disc is getting thin so will have to fork out for one of those too.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got it hanging up in the shed. Sort of a hunting trophy:evil.

Was thinking about putting it on a R65... But I can't find one cheap enough
  10. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Awesome mate, the bike looks great :clap
  11. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Well have i got deal for you:lol3
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  13. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    mmm A stock front end would go a way to lifting my r80
  14. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a YSS shock on my R80 (and my XT500) - a reasonably priced alternative to the big O...
  15. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Talk to Robert at KSS, when I looked at an Ohlins for the Ducati he suggested a Nitron shock as a better performer and better price, it works well too! I do like the Ohlins on my PD, it keeps the rear end supple and tracking straight.
  16. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dunno about supple, but my wife takes it upon herself to keep me tracking straight...
  17. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a few good alternative parts coming in for airheads over the 4 years I have had Schmidt. The rebuidable driveshafts now into gen 2, various charging systems, larger range in shocks, the usual plethora of blingy bits.
    In a few years they may actually live up to their claim of being reliable:lol3
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put an Ohlins on my original '85 R80 GS. It was amazing how well you could tune it to either gravel or sealed roads. The biggest problem was then how well it showed up how flexible the front forks were. Scary! :eek1

With what I've spent on rear shocks in the last two years rebuilding (even a new Hagon), I should have just invested in a new quality shock.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am going to do a little catch up on rides that I've done this year, that I have enjoyed...<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Back in February inmate Tuska and I rode down to the DB1K. Crossed on the ferry and headed to Hanmer springs via the Porika Track, Braeburn Track, Matakitaki west and east roads and then through the Maruia Saddle.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    The next day we headed through MacDonald Downs Station, Lees Valley, up the Rakia Valley and through Glen Falloch Station.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    Back out on the Canterbury plains and we dashed through thunder storms to stay the night in Geraldine.<o:p></o:p>
    The Next day it was up and adam, to start the DB1k 2014. We didn't do the Awakino challenge as I figured the Beemer was to heavy and the snow too deep. But great riding for the rest of the weekend.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    As the Beemer has a 35 litre tank on it, I became the fuel tanker for the leg through the Serpentine challenge. It is amazing the difference in handling removing 5 litres of fuel made. More amazing riding...<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    We had some bad luck with the WR getting a flat tyre on the Black forest station track, which delayed the arrival back in Fairly, but we got there...<o:p></o:p>
    The next day it was back on the bikes after first getting the tyre sorted out and hoofing it through to Hanmer for the night. Then through Molesworth station with a side trip out to Port Underwood and back, to catch the ferry and back home.<o:p></o:p>
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was after getting back from DB1K with stuffed Headset bearings and stuffed Rear shock, that I decided it was time to do something with the front end. A work mate just happened to be trying to sell some forks and the rest is history.

So there were more rides locally, but jump forward to October and it was time to head down to Hanmer springs again, this time for the National SAR Conference. That seemed like an invitation to take the bike...

So, I arranged access through Rainbow Station, with a side helping of access into Maling Pass. Awesome country!

[​IMG]

After four days at the conference, I headed back out through Rainbow satation to drop off the key and then headed up the Leatham Valley as far as the first river crossing of the Leatham River. It looked a bit too deep and the rocks a bit too big and I didn't want to drown the bike and me by myself...

[​IMG]

So it was back down the valley and lunch in St Arnaud, around to Motueka and over the hill to Takaka. Tea there and out to Totoranui Beach camp for the night. A chance to dry out the gear after some of the rain and creek crossings I had done had seeped into the pannier boxes.

[​IMG]

The next morning it was up and around to Awaroa inlet. A lovely spot for sure.

[​IMG]

Then back through Takaka to Farewell Spit. Over the hill and down to the Anatori Ford.

[​IMG]

Collected some mussels and it was back on the bike to Nelson for the night. The next day it was up early to get on to the Mangatapu track, out to Linkwater and then wound my way out to Titirangi bay at the head of the sounds. This is one beautiful spot and one to put on the "must come back to and stay..."

[​IMG]

Realising time had slipped by, I was suddenly half an hour short for the ferry, so 1:30hr later and an adrenaline pumping ride back through the Keneperu road, I arrived back in Picton to find that the Ferry was running 2 hrs late.... Oh well, at least I got to test the limits of my tyres :evil