Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will most likely be feast or famine. Weather looks good after the storm passes...
  2. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Camping/shower/shitter for adv types near Tui on the Tadmor/Glenhope Road on weekends....
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's not much in Tui, from memory, but a nice spot. Will keep it in mind. :thumb
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sorted out the birds nest overnight
    20190223_035137.jpg
    and have been working on a fairing over the last couple of days. So over night I have finished bending it up and making mounts, almost... I'm going to add an extra couple of brackets at the front and rubber mount the rear, as the tank moves too much and suspect it will break something...
    20190223_041530.jpg
    20190223_041916.jpg
    Now I have to go out and test ride it to see how it works in the wind, hopefully it works, otherwise I have a couple of old screens that may need cutting down to size...
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding home in the rain from work the other night, I was surprised and relieved to find the space behind the screen is actually good. My helmet wasn't shaking around and rain the on the visor wasn't being blown into my helmet, but with a little lift of the head I could clear the rain off the visor easily. An extra pair of mounts at the front should stabilize the bottom of the fairing nicely and rubber mounting the back to the tank will hopefully be good to go. Some bits bought from Mitre 10 yesterday will hopefully do the trick.:hmmmmm
    innathyzit, Muzz67 and Night Falcon like this.
  6. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Looks good! What material did you use for the fairing?

Cheers
    Clint
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's perspex. I have painted it on the inside so it's nice and glossy on the outside. Something I wanted to try
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tenere sold today....:cry
    Now on to better news... Rainbow and Molesworth should be opening up on 5th March, so we should be riding the Bemaha on dusty trails next week:wings
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brake braket I made flexed too much at full pressure and lost the last bit of power. I made a replacement braket today using a thicker steel and less bending:
    20190303_130040.jpg
    Night Falcon likes this.
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job. Whats the blue oil line on top of the brake hub do? surely Beamers don't oil their brakes any more?
    Mc107 likes this.
  11. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Thats the diff breather. Tube is put on to stop water ingress.
    Mc107, dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Thursday, I headed down to Wellington and had dinner with my Daughter. Then at 1am, 4 of us from Taihape loaded up on the ferry and woke up in Picton. Considering how windy it was, we didn't notice a rough sailing at all. Lot's of zzz's all round.

Unfortunately, there was lots of rain... so a long breakfast in Blenheim.... and a few repairs... and we finally took off. Through Taylors pass and up to Molesworth. The further up the valley we went the less rain there was. The good news, No dust.
    20190308_113158.jpg
    We had a catch up with fellow Taihapians at Molesworth, By the time we got to Hamner Springs, It was very attractive to book a room and dry out... much warmer now.
    Manakau.KTM, Box'a'bits and EVLED like this.
  13. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear it's open again. I was through there late Jan and it was dusty and tinder dry.
    20190308_221226.jpg

Looking forward to more reports (no pressure).
    Night Falcon and dazzadm like this.
  14. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today dawned with low cloud and a little drizzle around the hills of Hamner. The onesies were stowed away with the anticipation of fine weather...

We headed off down through Pyramid Valley and into MacDonld Downs Station. The tracks had just been graded but it had had enough traffic to pack it down.
    20190309_103548.jpg
    The river crossing at the Okuku river caused the bike to stall just as I entered the water... wet feet again.:dirtdog. Down through the Lees Valley, we had lunch at the picnic area and met some local Chch riders and 4x4 drivers. Good track info was shared and back on the saddle and on to Springfield.

We headed through Porters Pass and down Lyndon Road to see Lake Coleridge.
    20190309_142012.jpg
    Back out to the Rakia Bridge and we slabbed it down to Fairlie for the night. Now we are in the heart of riding country so looking forward to exploring the district over the next few days:happay
  15. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics, looking forward to loads more :thumb
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just been arranging access into some cool country tomorrow....:beer
    Night Falcon and innathyzit like this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was fine, so we headed down the road to Rockwood rd and got to see Fairlie early in the morning.
    20190310_082432.jpg
    Then through Mt Gay Road and Hanging rock where we stopped at the Pearce flying machine crash site in 1903. Then on to Geraldine. We then spoke to Orari Stn and headed up the Orari Gorge Rd into Blue mtn Stn. This had some challenging sections where steep loose rockie sections challanged the GSs a bit, but we got through.
    20190310_114835.jpg
    From Blue Mtn Stn, we headed down the valley and around to Mt Dobson. Some local knowledge was used to get access up to the ski field, but low cloud hid the views that we were hoping to get.
    20190310_144233.jpg
    Tomorrow is heading towards Blackforest Stn so we'll see what happens.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Todays weather has been great.
    We started off in Fairlie and headed to Albury. We were shown around the old home farm of one of the group and various other memory lane points of interest. Then off to Mackenzie Pass and out on to Haldon road. There are a few things to watch out for as you ride round here, not only is there possums as road kill, but also Wallabies, and they are reasonably big if you hit them... so far we have avoided them.
    20190311_093944.jpg
    Haldon Road is still nice and fast....
    At the end we entered into Black Forest station and enjoyed the scenery and trail riding, following the pylons down to Benmore Dam.
    20190311_113009.jpg
    We followed around the lower lake and headed to Duntroon, then up over Danseys pass to stop at Kyeburn Diggings, where we met up with 2 guys on Bumble Bee R100's on their way home from a trip up to Auckland and back from Dunedin.
    Unfortunately the corrugations have been too much for my top box so that is now utilising the tie downs to stay on the bike.:(
    So far we have 3 fork seals starting to leak on 3 bikes. There's always something to do after a good ride...
    Looking forward to tomorrow...:rayof
    Tuska, oldbeer, glitch_oz and 4 others like this.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lack of internet was welcomed last night....

We set off from Nasbey early in the day, fine clear skies promised a good day. We headed through to Patearoa and up on to the middle of the Old Dunstan Road. The track was nice and little dust rising off it. As we went over the top, the clouds were gathering and the temperature dropping. 20190312_095155.jpg
    Coming off the Dunstan the weather warmed up again and we headed through Crawford Hills Road to Alexandra for lunch.

Then on up to follow the pylon track on Hawksburn Road out to Cromwell to fill up with gas and back into the Nevis Valley. We got half way through and set up the tents next to the river for the night.
    20190312_181132.jpg
    Perfect camping site:clap
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We woke up to fine weather again and carried on up the valley. The river crossings all went well with one slight mishap but nothing serious. I found out what was stalling my engine when I hit water, which turned out to be my sparkplug caps. So some insulation tap wrapped around then kept me going through the rivers.

The weather turned by the time we got to the top and with extra layers on we headed down into Garston. 20190313_091008.jpg
    Back on the highway, it was back to dealing with camper vans and traffic. Arriving in Frankton was a bit of a culture shock for us... traffic traffic traffic.

Exiting the traffic cues, we wound our way up to the Skippers Saddle and diced with death heading down to the Skippers bridge. It has been an eye opener looking at the work the early gold digger put into trying to get gold out of the hills...
    20190313_130257.jpg
    The weather was turning again with showers. Onsies on and we made our way back up the valley and rejoined the hiway rush back to Alexandra where we are drying out and looking for somewhere to eat:photog