Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CRC Soft Seal is what you need for your plug caps if the tape fails. Don't use silicone.
    Soft Seal washes off with petrol. You can pull the leads off and spray it on the inside of the caps as well and push them back on while it is still wet.
    Always worked on the landcrusier when the water was over the bonnet.
    WR

Looks a better adventure than the trophy boys will get.
    dazzadm likes this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a can of that sitting on my desk. Easy to find at Mitre 10 or Repco
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a can sitting on the bench at home...
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    After drying out from yesterdays rain, we woke up to some fine weather again.

We headed out of Alexandra to St Bathans. It was very quiet there and the Vulcan wouldn't open till 11:00am... oh well, onwards and upwards.

We turned off up the Hawkdun Runs road, through the gate and on to the track up the Manuherikia River trail. The rivers were still down, but as we headed up the East branch track, the mist came down as we headed up the valley. Over the saddle and back down into the bottom of the valley. One common theme on this trip has been airstrips and as we got to the bottom, the local top dresser was waiting for the cloud to lift so some local catch up for some of the team members.
    20190314_105841.jpg

Into Omarama for lunch, then out to Clay Cliffs where we're staying tonight. Local connections got us access onto some farm trials where we got to see across the valley to Lake Ohau and Mt Cook in the distance. Awesome country
    20190314_153616.jpg

The next 2 days are going to be riding back to catch the ferry. Not so much fun but worth the sacrifice for the places we've been over the last week :-)
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    nicely done :thumb

any clay on that east manuherikia trk or is it all stone? yesterdays rain obviously didnt cause you any dramas with track condition.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We didn't notice any clay and the top half was wet. The Hawkdun Runs Road would get very muddy by the look of it, we were glad it was dey as we went through
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Todays forecast was for rain through Canterbury, but as it wasn't raining I kept the onesie in the box. We seemed to skirt round the back of the rain cloud and stayed dry all day.

We were in Rangiora when the news broke about the shootings... not a nice thing to happen. As we got further north the numbers just kept getting worse.

The coast to Kaikoura looks like a lot of work has been done. Looking forward to seeing the repairs tomorrow north of Kaikoura.

This was my fix for the sparkplug caps:
    20190315_171433.jpg
    It worked a treat, but new leads are on the list of things to repair/replace.
    Night Falcon and Box'a'bits like this.
  8. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were around Oxford at that time.
    We will be in Picton tomorrow night. When do u guys cross back over ?
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are just heading into Wellington harbour at the moment, 4:45pm. Will have to catch up some time later.:-)
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left Kaikoura this morning in light drizzle. Looking at weather radar reports suggested the rain would finish by the hills, so rode into it with the onsies packed away.

True to their word, the rain stopped and we rode along the coast in clear weather. It is interesting to see the repair work going on there, (my first trip through there since the earth quake). Worth seeing.

We took a diversion route through Redwood Pass, just a little more gravel.
    20190316_105254.jpg
    Then visited the Omaka Aerodrome to look at planes... to continue the theme.
    20190316_120228.jpg
    Do you see the resemblance...?
    So not long to go now and we'll be home.
    Night Falcon and EVLED like this.
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our route map for the week:
    Screenshot_20190316-134617_BackCountry Navigator PRO.jpg
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A week ago I bought a replacement battery for our R60/5, when it turned up I realized that I had bought a 360CCA Lithium Motobatt battery, so it went into the Bemaha to reduce weight. My good are they light...

Today we rode down to Wanganui to watch a freind compete down there. We stopped at Fordell to photograph something and when I went to start the bike it clicked and went dead.... I was unable to get it to bump start. I checked the voltage, 1 Vdc. A nice bloke stopped and ended up going home and grabbing a jump starter. On starting, the voltage came back up to 13V so we thanked him and carried on. It died once more in town and needed to be jumped to get going until I got to the Honda shop and bought a replacement 160CCA AGM battery. All good again and the Voltage is running back at 14V.

Several starts later, and we headed home via Turakina, then going through a corner it all felt soft and squidgy... would you believe it a rear flat tyre. And there in the middle of it a screw.
    20190330_164810.jpg
    So I pulled out the screw, grabbed my tube of slime and poured it in. Dropped in a cannister of CO2 gas or 2 and we carried on, but only got as far as Fern Flats before it went down again. I pulled the tyre off the rim and found a huge hole in the tube. So a call to my son and he came and picked us up and the rear wheel, so tonight I cleaned it up and called Irwin over to give me a hand to put a spare tube in.
    20190330_213903.jpg
    Tomorrow I head back down with the wheel and pick up the bike from the farmer who has kindly let us park the bike at his place. Agh, what a day.
    Night Falcon and Manakau.KTM like this.
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frustrating!

I had a motobatt die on me exactly 364days from new (I still had the receipt) so 1 day before the warranty expired. They replaced it, but it was annoying. Subsequently discovered they have a bit of a reputation for conkin out....not sure how long the replacement lasted as it was in my written off 690 :fpalm
    dazzadm likes this.
  14. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought 10 days isn't really enough time...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  15. Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    How come you are running tubes????
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the years, I've had tube type tyres on the bike, so just stuck with them. With this tyre, I asked for a tubless valve at the local firestone, but he didn't have anything small enough to fit the rim. I will have to find out where to order one from and convert to tubeless, otherwise I would have been...

But my front wheel is tube type so I'm comfortable with it. First puncture in 20 yrs... why change?:dunno
  17. Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    Well you beat me I haven't had a flat on the BMWeee yet touch wood. But tubeless is easier to repair on the side of the road. I carry a 19" tube to cover both ends just in case a plug wont do the job. I am surprised you couldn't get a stem.
    WR
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'll just have to add one to the next motobins order...
  19. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Using clamps to help with setting the bead?? I'm going to steal that idea! :)
  20. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. My bead breaker will get rears back on the bead too, fronts can be trickier...