Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must look at bead breakers. I used a couple of stones to do the trick but they aren't always available...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It saved a lot of sweat, but still lost some claret, not sure how?!
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    One fork seal has been leaking, so I ordered a set of seals and bushes just in case there is some wear in there, as the forks were 2nd hand when I put them on the bike.
    20190406_210235.jpg
    Pulling them apart showed that the steel cups at the top of the spring had started rusting. I have cleaned off the rust and given them a coat of zinc paint. There was bits of rust in the oil so may have been the cause of the leaky seal.
    20190406_204625.jpg
    I checked the internals and spacer in the bottom cartridge were all good and put them back together. Will have to get some fork oil on monday as I don't have enough spare oil to refill them, bugger.:dirtdog
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This week end was the Far north Adventure ride, being held in Kaihu. This meant the maintenance I have done on the bike in the last week would get a test. I received new spark plug leads which I installed as well.

The ride from home started at 8am (with plenty of time to get up north... ) in the rain, which eventually stopped by Taumaranui, but from there on I was dodging rain showers, which meant there were wet and dry patches everywhere.... I was first struck by the awesome handling in the front end after doing the service on them. Obviously the rust had been affecting the shim stack as well as the seals. A bonus there. The engine also was running so much smoother with the new leads, who would have thought...

I rode up to Te Uri and filled up with gas there, relatively cheap at that end of the country, then headed up through Waingaro, passing through Waikokowai. Enjoying the country roads, I accelerated out of a left hand corner, looked ahead to see straight road, then looked again and suddenly realised I was coming into an intersection !#@!. Anchors on and slowing down fast I started to lean into the intersection. Then it was front wheel sliding out on wet slippery tar and that hard thump feeling of hitting the deck and sliding down the road....:p3rry
    20190412_131552.jpg
    Looking back from where I just came from...

Luckily the traffic was very low, not really rush hour at the Ruawaro Hall. As I picked myself up and righted the bike, a local came and gave me a hand. We got the bike off the road and assessed the damage. Me: bruised ribs, bruised hips and a damaged helmet, with a bit of bruised pride. Bike: some paint scrapped off here and there and a gaping big hole in the left rocker cover, oil on the road.
    20190412_133912.jpg
    Some builders mix on the oil helped that problem. The local guy disappeared off home and returned with a bottle of oil. In the mean time, I washed the rocker cover in petrol and cleaned up the hole. Thankfully I had included a pack of Quicksteel metal resin in the tool box. So I kneaded up some mix and squeezed it in to the hole. It set hard and has made it home, yay. Ironically, 100m up the road was 9 cop cars doing a drug bust on a P lab... Too busy to worry about a crashed motorbike down the road:knary

So back on the road and heading north I eventually reached my destination, 7 Opuoteke Rd.... Who would have known that there are two of them. Unfortunately I was at the wrong one, 60km from the right one... oh well into the night and more rain to eventually get to the top 10 camp site at 8pm. What a day!

The next day I had the luxury of being lent the WR450 to ride again by Mike Britton, so I set it up with road book holder and gear bag, and off in to the morning we went.
    20190413_090453.jpg
    We started off with a blast along the beach then back into Forest roads
    20190413_101506.jpg
    and Gravel roads around the district. A fantastic lunch stop in Pipiwai put on by the locals and we carried on for more fun. A great section was Old mill road,
    20190413_145348.jpg
    a closed road reduced to single track in the bush. 230km later it was back to the camp ground and celebrating Brittons last NZ organised Adventure ride.

This morning I had an early start and was packed up and leaving camp site at 6am.
    20190414_065308.jpg
    I had a good ride back with little traffic on the road, traveling down through Dargaville, Helensville, Te Kuiti and home. So there is another repair list forming for the next week or two and probably a list of bits to get and parts to paint... oh well, I guess that all part of the fun isn't it?
  5. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    It was a fantastic ride and a great weekend. I wondered why I didn't see the Paris /Dakar out on the ride but the WR450 would have been more suited to the forest sections anyway.
    Great that there was no dust and the weather played the part on Saturday anyway.

The single track on Old Mill road was my favourite part of the ride as well.

Hope the body heals quickly, lucky you could continue on with the weekend after the accident.:clap.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago, I took Charlie Brown (aka R60/5) for a ride.

Through the Gentle Annie it went well. The short wheel base makes corners fun and quick. Unfortunately, it is fairly relaxed on the acceleration. Not sure if this is due to the old carbs or some thing else. But it does seem happy to sit on 100km/hr, so I can't complain too much.

After catching up with family, I headed up to Taupo to se more more family.
    20190511_163857.jpg
    Charlie Brown near Te Haroto.

Then back on the bike and home to Taihape over the desert road. The bike went well, but I really do have to replace to gaskets and oil seals, as it looks more like a British bike than German engineering. Too much oil everywhere for my liking.
    Box'a'bits and Night Falcon like this.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the weekend, I caught up on some repairs and outstanding oil/filter changes on the Bemaha.

The crash bar was welded and ground back to look curved again instead of flat sided. The rocker cover that got punched was replaced with a spare I had prepare. Newly painted, it looked out of place against the old one, so the other side came off and had a birthday, and since the covers were off, the tappets got adjusted.

After that, the NBC110 postie bike got next in line and I replaced both tyres with some Shinko trials tyres. Winter here gets a bit mucky and road tyres don't cut it safely when delivering mail.

So having spent so much time servicing bikes, I needed to get back on the bike and took the Bemaha out for a ride. I headed down to Palmerston North and Shannon, where I headed into the Mangahao dams.

I nice gravel hill climb to start with, I was really enjoying it when I realised I was riding like I was on the WR450... so after sliding round a few corners, I calmed down a bit and had some fun, like I was on a big adv bike...
    The first dam:
    20190618_163115.jpg
    The second dam:
    20190618_164627.jpg
    And the third dam:
    20190618_165715.jpg
    The ride back down the valley was just on dusk, with an awesome sunset and moon rise on the way home. A nice day out. 20190618_173216.jpg
    wairau, Phreaky Phil, Muzz67 and 4 others like this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had some fun on the TIG last night. I repaired the rocker cover that got damaged in the crash.

At the start of the evening:
    20190622_033903.jpg
    Midnight:
    20190622_213714.jpg
    By the morning:
    20190623_040810.jpg
    Not perfect, but deffinately serviceable.
  9. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i’m really impressed with that clean up. what tool(s) did you use?
  10. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Hey just being observant... and you may be happy with them.... your PD bars look a little tired n bent.
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started with a sandblaster to clean up the cover, then once welded up, a linisher belt and then elbow grease and a variety of files to get it in to shape.
    wairau likes this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, well 250,000km will do that to them... It's called "Patina". I was impressed with them after I tested their strength and function a couple of months ago...
  13. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    so, by hand then? hats off. kudos.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Saw this on FB, any truth to it?

65153452_10158144313933265_243563695525855232_n.jpg
  15. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    EVLED and dazzadm like this.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    What to do on a sunday afternoon....? Let's ride:
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, talk about going full circle...

I have played around with a variety of headlights and lamps over the years and not many have been an improvement. The ADVMonster LED H4 bulb has been OK, but the pattern lacks in some areas. The LED headlight I recently installed ticked all the boxes except light on the gound. That doesn't leave many other points, but it did mount how I wanted it to on the bike. And of course now NZTA have made it really hard if not impossible to have LED headlights unless they come standard on the bike.:(

I have always wanted to get a Touratech twin headlight conversion kit, but the price has been silly and the reports I've read about them seems to be fairly lack lustre. So I have ended up buying a GSXR1100 headlight and mounted it on the bike. It is even year correct for the bike, 1990. Weirdly, when I bought the bike originally, it had twin headlights mounted on it, albeit they were Hella spotlights, one pointing up for High beam, one down for low beam. See the first page of this thread when the bike was more Mad Max era.

The head light was a little tired, so some parts ordered from japan, have sorted out the alignment/rattle issues and some new brackets have allowed it to be mounted to the Nav tower. I think the fairing will fit in behind it with a little cut and tuck to make it fit, sort of...

So now I have more of a Baja look to the bike than I was wanting, but tonights ride around the back roads was great to have the light on the road, on both High beam and low beam. It is like day time riding with the LED spot lights on, Yeha.:thumb
    Night Falcon likes this.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    there's a bit of LED/lighting mods happening at present it appears :D Hope mine is as good as yours when I get round to a night test. LED's are a revolution in lighting but they aren't nice to meet head-on from a forgetful non dipped driver! :eekers
    dazzadm likes this.