Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks meaty...

Are they both on at dip, or one on, both on on high beam?

Going to recreate your little screen?
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to stay with LED, but just not at the moment. I want to get a JW Speaker headlight but if I do, I'll probably get it certified to use it, but too many higher priorities to do at the moment.

The GSXR lights cost me about $100 so that I can afford.
    They are both on at all times, 2 x 55/60W H4 bulbs. No more wattage than I used to run originally.

The Screen will go back on tonight hopefully. There is some trimming to do behind the headlight bucket, but hopefully it will fit...
    Kiwiabbo likes this.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Got the stock alternator, or something else?
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure. I have never had issues with load on the alternator. I used to run a 90/100W lamp originally, So I will just have to keep an eye on the voltage for a while. I will probably have to go back to a slightly bigger battery again, currently on a light weight one which was bought to get me home...

I got the fairing remounted today. the lights stick out a bit, but to fix that is a whole new fairing... Any one got a GSXR front fairing lying around?

Even Honda are doing it again:
    2018-honda-monkey-bike-36.jpg
    glitch_oz and Manakau.KTM like this.
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week I went out for a ride around the Pukeokahu back roads loop. Road conditions were great. Damp, mostly smooth gravel... fast.
    20190728_160754.jpg
    Unfortunately, when I got home, the lights wouldn't work on low beam. So I limped home quietly on dusk on park lights...

So over the last couple of days, I pulled my control switch apart and repaired the damage from the crash I had a few months ago, and found that there was no voltage getting to the switch.

Went to take the seat off and the lock had broken in half and I couldn't take the seat off.... so after awkwardly dismantling the rear top section of subframe, I was able to remove and repair the lock. So while I had that off, I decided it was time to mount the new Aceribis Baja enduro mudgaurd I had bought for it. (Seems to be a Baja theme here after all... so much for a Dakar theme...):ricky
    20190808_191106.jpg
    After remounting the tail light, number plate and tool box, I got back to the lights. Checking the relay showed it was operating, but I found that the wiring loom plug on the frame wasn't connecting, so pulled it apart and cleaned up the contacts and hey presto, lights again. One day I might think about replacing those plugs... no a small job considering the condition of the wiring loom.:uhoh
    Whale Rider likes this.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I was at it I converted the tail light to LED as I found the bulb blown again, always after a good gravel ride...
    20190807_180803.jpg
    I used the original housing and mounted a unit that was designed for a CT110, inside it. A great job for silicon glue...
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Looking good. I've a Baja rear guard sitting here as well. Not sure which bike it'll go on...

The LED taillights are great. Got them on both bikes now (albeit the EI ones which are made for the G/S & GS). Same issue as you - filament bulbs don't particular enjoy the bumpy ride.

You might also be interested in this https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/9344/Acerbis-Dual-Sport-Tail-Light?term=tail+light

Someone on ADVrider was remaking the plastic lock surround. https://advrider.com/f/threads/gs-or-g-s-seatlock-remake.1216835/. I also think there was someone else that had a go at it, but the link above at least got to semi commercial production
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers. I'm happy with bracket I made to mount the tailight and number plate on, and it didn't cost me anything for it.

I did start to cut out and drill a solid alloy replacement cover, but gave up. It would have required a mill to do it properly. I ended up making big fitted washers to hold it together. Probably as strong as the original method...
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Link above.
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've read through the link and PM'd one of them about getting one sent out. Don't need one yourself do you?
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not at present. Got to get over the Chang Jiang / driveshaft / Gall Bladder operation spend - the reserves are currently lower than I'd prefer.

But no doubt at some future ride I will. I'll just have to deal with it then.
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the same problem in the Suzuki using Super Cheap and Repco brand bulbs.
    Went in and bought some Narva bulbs twice the price but haven't had to change another one since.
    WR
    Mc107, glitch_oz and dazzadm like this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, Miss Bemaha needed to be back in Wellington for work so we headed back down there nice and early. Traffic wasn't too bad as we got onto the motorway aided by a bit of sifting where safe to do so two up.

After filling up the tank, I was heading up over the Rimutakas in light traffic and no wind. Some polite drivers made the down hill side even better by pulling over and allowing me to pass. Carterton soon appeared and a quick top up of fuel to make sure I could get through, and it was time to set up the roll chart and find the first road. I had planned out a route to take me to Castle point, Akitio, Blackhead and eventually Napier, it was going to be a big day....

I started from Park road and passed through Gladston and through to Kaiwhata Road. This was in good condition and I didn't meet too many trucks on it. The views down in to Homewood stn were great.
    20190828_105444.jpg
    Nice fast flowing gravel took me to the seal and eventually onto Castle Point Road. My first visit of Castle point and I can see I'll have to come back for a visit and walk out to the light house. By now it was already lunch time, so a pie and cake from the local Cafe and some time to enjoy the summer like weather on the beach front.
    20190828_120523.jpg
    I could see the tide was already getting high and my initial plans of having a go at riding the beach at Blackhead were starting to fade. So it was back on the bike and out to Tinui and on up to Alfredton. There certainly is a lot of logging going on around here. Luckily only a couple of trucks and not too dusty as they went past. From Alfredton, it was up on to Route 52 until Waihoki Valley road, Huia Road and Spur Road, which was good fun. With a variety of narrow road, recent repairs and logging in progress, it provided me with plenty to keep me occupied.
    20190828_140518.jpg
    From Spur Road it was back out to the coast and into Akitio. The wind was starting to get up by now and looking at the clock I realised that I was not really going to be able to keep with the plan unless I was up for a long night ride, so I decided to head back inland. The route sheet will have to wait for another day when the tides line up with the weather... Anyone want to plan to go for a ride in a month or two...?
    20190828_154520.jpg
    So I looked at the map and realigned the compass to generally head home... oh cool, Coonoor Road wasn't too far away, so over to the Towai Raod and up and over to the lime works. One of the local drivers there had a chat, as he was waiting for the Front end loader to arrive back from Dannevirke, he had been Piloting it back. So I had a chat with him until the Loader arrived. I did contemplate having a go at Makairo Road, but the thought of the underside of someones Bemmer :yikesscared me to not try that one by myself... So I headed off to Mangatinoka and Woodville, where I filled up again, shocking the Attendant with how much gas the tank took, taking 28 litres, so I was fairly close to going on reserve.

The ride over the saddle Road was sad, as I remember when it was a 100km/hr speed limit. Now it's fully 60km/hr all the way over the hill, heading into the setting sun. I ended up doing just over 750km for the day by the time I got home. A good day out and still more to look forward to in the future.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    You picked some great gravel there. Yeah the Saddle Road racetrack sucks now.
    dazzadm likes this.
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was busy replacing the concrete plaster on the window sills in our house this morning, a hawk full of plaster in one hand and a trowl in other when the phone rings...:becca
    Low and behold it was Mrs Bemaha: "... I've just about finished work, so we should go for a ride!"
    Well, not one to let opportunities go past, I finished the plastering, washed up the cement off everything and got the Bemaha ready for a ride.

We filled up in Taihape and headed south, Turning off to Omatane and the original bungy bridge site over the Rangitikei, Through Omatane South and Potaka road to Auputa road and around to Renfrew Road where we stopped at the Ian McKean Pinetum where we had a picnic lunch. If you like pine trees, well this is a great collection of conifer trees to go and wander through.

20191106_123521.jpg 20191106_123825.jpg
    From here, we headed down to Pohongina and around Finns road and ridge road to Kiwitea and up to Kimbolton for a spot of afternoon tea at the Cafe. Homeward bound back to Taihape and it ended up a great day for a ride. Not too hot and not too cold.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! so the Kimbolton Cafe has reopened or did ya mean tea at the pub?
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We ate at the Kimbolton Cafe, but the Pub Cafe was open as well.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been working on replacing the side stand, as it is something that has always bugged me. The original design works, but is awkward to put down and you have to get off the bike to do so.

I ended up buying a Triumph Daytona side stand. Its alloy and has a bolt on bracket angled at the right direction that I wanted. I have extended the foot, as it is way too small for off road surfaces and made a new bracket to weld to the frame.
    20190829_171656.jpg 20191211_035412.jpg 20191211_035438.jpg
    At this stage the side stand crosses over with the center stand, another night to modify later...

But much happier with the operation.
    Dave Young, Bowler and innathyzit like this.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    20191217_123916.jpg 20191215_180521.jpg Found some more time to add some bling that has been collecting in the shed for a while now. I have been wanting to change the handle bars and lift them slightly, so got a pair of 3 inch RoxRisers from a fellow GS rider on Trademe and added an Easton fat bar. I tried a pair of Renthals that I had but they were too tall and it felt like riding with ape hangers.

It took a while to get it all together but after a few adjustments, feels good again.

I have also added an old screen off a yamaha tenere that I had laying around to try and clean up the air flow. I realised after I had added the larger hand gaurds that my helmet is now shaking around a bit too much. With the tenere fairing, the airflow has much reduced the helmet shaking. A bit more playing around with its position may eventually fix the problem, I hope...
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I recall a ride report comment for Odlins Rd way back on April Fools Day 2016

Where on that spectrum is the Bemaha now?