Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a purists perspective the degradation continues. From my perspective... I think I'm getting closer to where I want my resurection to be:-). Handling is improving all the time. But I think I'm getting to a point where I may have to look seriously at whether or not I have the right bike for what I really want to do...

I get the feeling there might be a more appropriately designed bike out there... but I'm having fun trying to make the Bemaha fit the bill.
    Manakau.KTM and innathyzit like this.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trialing different wind screens at the moment. I had a screen off an LT touring bike so tried to see what it would do. Still ended up with the helmet shaking around a bit.
    20200105_174649.jpg
    This is a view looking south of Taihape on a local farm. The screen was too big riding off road.

Rode up to Whakapapa the other day as it was a good day for a ride:-). This view is looking down the Turakina Valley Road.
    20200111_170921.jpg

Personally didn't like the LT fairing....
    Box'a'bits and EVLED like this.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week I got a givi screen off Trademe that was for a G310GS. Again, I have modified it and trialled it on the bike. 20200118_142259.jpg It is taller than I want but there is no helmet wobble and with a trip looming shortly, it might just be what I am looking for.
    Manakau.KTM and Box'a'bits like this.
  4. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Idea - a forward folding wind shield like the old landrover would be the ideal trail & road riding screen ?
  5. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Might be attempting to make one for the WR today...what could possibly go wrong...
    dazzadm likes this.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is merit in that design. I wouldn't look forward to riding off road with the tall screen, but know how much easier it is to ride with good protection.

Have you got a plan of attack?
  7. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it's a good price, for a tourer... but its alot for just the adjustable fairing...:jack

In fact I have an adjustable fairing off a k1100 sitting in the shed, but it's too much weight for what I want.
    Whale Rider likes this.
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Had a tall screen on my pd, was fantastic when sitting down, but smacked my head on it a few times ducking under branches, and leaning forward on steep climbs was also an issue, but the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.
    dazzadm likes this.
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm picking that will be what I find with this screen, but at least I can always cut something off the top of it:-)
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    It might not be the look you are going for but I put a givi airflow on my vstrom. Very easy to raise and lower. Have done it many times now whole on the move. Low for gravel for better vision and high for the long haul back home. Its quite a tidy design. And not expensive imho. You'd need to fab a bracket or two.
    eri likes this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all started with an invite to ride down south with Glen.

A mate, Bruce, was riding to the Dusty Butts in Fairlie. A quick check of the entries showed I was too late to enter, so I would continue on with Glen to Invercargil and have a look around the region. We quickly made a rough route and so I made up some route sheets and loaded them in to the route sheet box.

We left Taihape once Bruce arrived and headed off on the first liaison section to catch the 3am sailing to Picton. Loaded on board, a few couches provided us with some sleep as we headed into the Cook Straight.

Day 1, The first special section started in Picton and headed over to Port Underwood. The logging trucks have roughened up some of the hill climb sections in the gravel, so it was a bit rough in places but still a picturesque route along the coastline.
    20200129_074217.jpg
    The liaison section took us through to Taylor's Pass and into the Awatere Valley. The special section was a good long one and took us through Molesworth Station and finishing in Hamner Springs. A soak in the hot pools soothed out the muscles ready for the next day.
    20200129_132243.jpg
    The Clarence river at the Acheron bridge
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2. This day was a long liaison section down to Geraldine, where we said farewell to Bruce and hello to Jono, who joined us for the next couple of days. After a lunch stop, we headed off to Fairlie to start the next special section. While filling up with gas, I bumped into @innathyzit getting ready for briefing for the Dusty Butts.

We headed south and in to MacKenzies Pass, coming out into Haldon Road briefly before heading in to the Hakataramea pass. We met the start of the winds here and started battling with high winds for the rest of the trip.
    20200130_145153.jpg
    Hakataramea pass.

Down the Hakataramea valley, we then headed in over Meyer's Pass Road, Elephant Hill Back Road and topped it off with Clarksfield Road. A little gem of a low maintenance back road.
    20200130_160803.jpg
    The entrance into Meyers pass.

We Liasoned through to Kurow and down to Duntroon, heading down Weston Ngapara Road to Oamaru. This is a great windy sealed road worth doing to finish off the day. We spent the evening tasting local Brews and looking for little Blue Penguins, which eventually turned up on dark.
  14. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3. Up early, we liasoned all the way to Clinton, turning off onto Old Coach Road, and refueling in Mataura. A quick bite to eat and back into the wind to get to Invercargill to do the Motorcycle Museum and Truck Museum. Because we were so close, we had to include Bluff on the itinerary. Some interesting riding techniques were displayed in order to keep our bikes on the road in the wind. Leaning out the left side of the bike to get around a right hand corner was an interesting feeling...
    20200131_154701.jpg
    Our first special section of the day took us to Slope point. The most southerly point of the South Island. Carrying on we stopped in Waikawa to have fresh Fish and Chips from the local Caravan, the ladies there made a great meal in the middle of no where. We carried on to Pounawea camp ground where we stayed in a cabin for the night.
    20200131_175147.jpg
    Dinner in Waikawa.
    EVLED and innathyzit like this.
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4. An early start saw Jono head off home to Oamaru, and us start the next special stage from Owaka. Up Owaka Valley road and through Morris Saddle road, (just had to do that one) we stayed on the gravel roads round to Tahakopa Valley road and out to Edendale.
    20200201_082951.jpg
    Kahuika School Road in the Catlins.

A long liason section ensued through Otautau and to Lake Monowai Road, where the next special section started with an in and out ride of Borland road.

Borland road is a pylon access track that follows the pylons into the Manapouri power station.
    20200201_111917.jpg
    Heading up to Borland Pass.

It stops at South Arm of Lake Manapouri. A spectacular part of Fiorland Nation Park that you can ride in. From Borland Pass you can view the worlds largest land slide. At South Arm we had some lunch and were likewise lunched on by the sand flies, they were big and had appetites to match. The repellant kept them at bay just enough to finish our feed of salami and chippies. Then we just had to escape before we were drained of our blood and back out to the next liason section.
    20200201_123103.jpg
    South Arm, Lake Manapori.
    Back out on the road and we slabbed it up to Te Anau and around through Frankton to Clyde for the night.
    glitch_oz, EVLED and clintnz like this.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 5. We were obviously in Dusty Butts territory as the day started to the roar of trail bikes heading up the Hawksburn Road above us. We had a big liason ahead of us so headed out early as well and slabbed it in the strong winds all the way through Lindis Pass and refueled at Omarama, both of us arriving at the pump on reserve fuel.
    20200202_081434.jpg
    Lindis Pass early morning.

We carried on through Twizel and Tekapo having some interesting moments as the winds gusted up and tried to blow us off the road, I am sure there were some worried drivers as they watched us weave our way through a straight road...

By the time we got to Mt Hutt, I was ready for another special stage. Glen was ready to get to Hanmer Springs, so headed in that direction, while I started the hill climb section. The top of the Mt Hutt Road gives you a great view of the Canterbury Plains, on a good day, and I had a good day.
    20200202_122839.jpg
    Mt Hutt looking out over the Rakia river.

I carried on and did a couple of short special stages to kill the boredom, Zig Zag Road to Windwhistle, then Washpen Road, refueling at Oxford, another little special section on Henry's Ford Road, a little gem that shouldn't be underestimated as the ford is small but surprisingly steep.
    20200202_143352.jpg
    Watch out for the narrow gap... Boundary Road.

I carried on some back roads to come out in Amberly and liasoned through to Ethelton Road where my next special section started, taking in Kaiwara road and St Loenards road, great roads. I came across Random Spur Road, so will have to come back and do that one sometime.
    20200202_154736.jpg
    Cobb Cottage at Kaiwara rd St Leonards Rd junction. "Dry as a chip".

The liason through to Hamner Springs went straight forward and the bed at the end of the day was looked forward to. Bruce rejoined us catching us up with tails of KTMs destroying themselves and their riders... but the old Dakar bikes just kept on going. He did mention seeing some F850GS riders all in matching riding suits drinking coffees somewhere on his ride...

Some repairs were in order as I had hit a hawk during the day and it had ended up breaking some of the headlight brackets. Some metal set epoxy had the lights pointing forwards again ready for the next challange.
    innathyzit likes this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 6. The special section started with a climb up to Jack's Pass, and on through to Lake Tennyson, and into the Rainbow Station Road.
    20200203_084612.jpg
    Lake Tennyson.

Always a good ride, a diversion track has been setup to bypass a washout at Connors Creek. Once at the main road, Bruce and Glen headed off to picton to see if they could jump on an earlier Ferry as we were booked on the 6pm sailing. While I took the opportunity to shoot through to Motueka to catch up with Miss Bemeha before liasoning through Nelson back to Picton.

The Bemaha went well, with a small failure on my part where I have under engineered the braket the holds the nav tower on to the frame. A few cable ties and rope made it last the distance, so a solid block of alloy will no doubt be machined to replace it. The screen worked well and is mounted far enough forward that I didn't have it smash into my face at any stage. I must finish the fairings so it all fits together properly.

All up about 3650kms were covered in the six days. We didn't suffer any real rain but the winds made it hard work at times. A great ride with great mates.
    eri, Whale Rider, moto74 and 5 others like this.
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    The wind was a bugger aye.

I met those gs850 guys in murchison on the way to the dusty. They were the pro riders who were guiding the gs challenge? riders and were doing a recce. They wanted to know where the Mackley was then asked me to take them through. Wish I had now, but performance anxiety.
    dazzadm and Box'a'bits like this.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should have let the SWM lead the way...
    innathyzit likes this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know. Cool off topic fact, there were three swms at the digs in Fairlie.
    dazzadm likes this.