Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.
The wind was heaps of fun on a WR250...
Here's a map of our route:
Looking at the recent weather reports, we timed the dry weather right, much easier to handle the wind than floods...
Been quietly working on a few things on the Bemaha.
When I installed the Forks, I didn't do anything about the steering limit locks. So I made up a spacer that clamps onto the stock limit and prevents the forks crushing the cables.
Seems to work well. Already noticed the reduced turning arc, bugger.
I had made up a single seat with a rack on it, but wasn't happy with it. So I stripped it down and removed the rack. The old foam I had used was stuffed so I had a single seat from a K1100 ambulance bike and removed the foam which fitted almost perfectly. I extended the alloy box base and have created a 5 liter cavity which is where I can store gear instead of strapping it on. I had it recovered and some extra foam added so that it can be used as a rear seat if required, not going to be comfortable but usable.
In order to prove if it was comfortable, I had to test ride it. So arranged to have a ride with @Night Falcon. So I left home pulled into the Garage to fill up with gas, only to feel the front end do a little wobble, weird, damn front tyre flat. So I filled up and went over to the Taihape Baurepairs and pulled the tyre off and they put a new tube in. Then headed off to Palmy.
By the time I got down there the forecaste rain for the afternoon, had started early and we looked up to the North Range Road to see it disappearing into the mist and drizzle... maybe another day. So we had a good chin wag discussing motorbikes.
I then carried on with the shopping for parts I had gone down for only to find that 75% of them would have to be ordered.... So I got what I could and rode home via Rangiwahia.
Heading into the drizzle, never really got wet all day. But it was all around me. The new seat held up the distance so now I just need to make a bag to sit under it. Always something to do...
Was great catching up. NRR isn't going anywhere, we'll definitely have to do it now. Delay will give me a chance to get a decent front tire on the Tiger
And yet again I modify the headlight...
I just couldn't get to grips with the GSX headlights. So I recently bought a 2013 R1200GS headlight and have modified things to suit. I have hard wired low beam so that once selected it stays on. High beam comes on only when required. The light module is nice in that it has adjustment for up and down that i can easily access.
I have also made a new fairing to suit. Bit experimental at this stage, as i think it might be a bit flexible. It is made out of plastic drum material.
The lights seem to work reasonably well at night. Which is a relief, and i feel more comfortable with the look.
The windscreen i have remounted. At high speeds, the front of the bike would start to try and wobble through the air, so i have mounted it slightly further forward, to suit the headlight and tilted it back at the top. It is now more aerodynamic and rides better at higher speed. Also being a short arse, i can see over the top better...
Mate, looks the business!
I reckon the fairing would look sweet painted red to match the tank.
I plan to but the plastic I have used does not look like it will take paint. If it works, I will look for some better material, the chemical that the tank had had in it has reacted with the inside layer of plastic and is brittle, which I found out after I made it. Luckily I have bent it in the right direction...
Arrrh the frustrations of the motorcycle fabricator. The final product never tells the full story of the trials we bike tragics edure to get it right.... a labour of love for sure