Rise of the Bemaha

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dazzadm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it's from Eurobike. BH Allegri range. The only issue I had was I wanted the over tube to stiffen it... but it doesn't fit over the premade fittings:doh

So I just split it and heat shrinked it in place. Seems to work.:-)
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered a new steering damper from China on fleabay. It has a longer travel than the unit I mounted as a trial. The trial unit has been great for control but terrible for limiting steering turning arc.

The new one turned up today so I swapped them over.
    20200815_173110.jpg
    It has dampening adjustment on it, and playing with it tonight showed it is good. The down side is that being longer, it does stick out the side a bit, but I do have my turning arc back again. So I will live with it.

Ironically, it is stamped with "Made in Italy" on it...

So to test it out, I rode to work tonight. I rode out to Mataroa and headed up the Turakina valley road to Tangiwai. The verdict is out, and it is good. I can easily adjust it on the fly and can now adjust it from soft to too hard, and back again.
    20200815_174337.jpg
    Near the top of Turakina Valley Road. It was 1°C at that time of the evening, so I am not looking forward to the ride home in the morning. Expecting it to be about -4°C tomorrow... heated grips will be turned up for sure.:thumb
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been out for a couple of small local rides lately. Tonight I rode out to Bald Hill Road via Papanui Junction and Ruanui. The view from the top was great... I missed the sun setting by seconds... 20200907_180138.jpg
    Looking north to Mt Ruapehu
    20200907_180224.jpg
    Watercat, moto74, innathyzit and 7 others like this.
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a good ride and cup of tea in Ekatahua yesterday. Good to meet everyone.
    Heading down Pori Road, chasing the sidecar of Box'a'bits, a good day out. 20201017_151416.jpg

Tonight I just had to do a bit more riding, so i headed out to Springvale bridge
    20201018_170617.jpg
    Then back home via Otupae and Pukeokahu. I just love looking down the valley seeing where the road winds...
    20201018_171738.jpg
    Watercat, innathyzit, Muzz67 and 5 others like this.
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those who asked... my current time expense:
    20201020_094603.jpg
    A renovation and building project, all in one. Bit of a bomb shell at moment, but the jungle gym takes up a bit of space in the lounge at the moment...
    Watercat, innathyzit, Muzz67 and 4 others like this.
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Nice work...looks like one of those restoration projects ya see on the telly.
  7. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Should fit a lot of bikes in there.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noooo! Too much pressure to get things done. It would be nice to get someone else to do the work but we are getting it done... slowly.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes... but I'm not allowed to.:( I really wanted to park a Ducati on the old cattle killing plinth... but no not allowed to.
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    amazing looking project - it'll be all worth it when ya finished.

Maybe suspend an Airhead from the ridge beam.....remove the oil first though :raindance
    Whale Rider likes this.
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would I do that? I ride my Beemers:-)
    innathyzit likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    you could still sit on it if ya careful mate :D but on second thought....bad idea....no one would believe a flying Beema :D
    dazzadm likes this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the GS Rally on my calendar for some time as a wnt to do, but time had run out and I missed out on getting an entry...

Then at 4am on Friday morning, I found out that @Box'a'bits had had the misfortune of having an accident and was in hospital. A few checks with the organization and it was confirmed that I could use Box'a'bits entry and I was now going to the rally after all.

So after waking up from my nightshift sleep, I sorted out the bike and headed off to Martinborough. I had showers of rain heading south from Taihape and once through the Pahiatua track it cleared up and stayed dry for the rest of the ride. I arrived too late for check in or dinner, so popped back in to town and had a cheese burger at the TK Bedford takeaway and had a chat with some other rally riders.

After setting up the tent in the dark it was into the sack hoping for good weather the next day.

Saturday dawned overcast but dry, and I was awoken by the dawn chorus of birds who were making sure we heard them.

I popped back into town for breakfast, and ended up with quite a wait for my granola but again had a good chat with fellow riders. Back to get my entry sorted, to find out they had given it to someone else:fpalm. But we eventually got the route sheets and entry stickers etc sorted out. So the route sheets were rolled into the box and ready to ride. Just in time for briefing.

I started behind the bunch as I was trying to load the gpx files that had been sent to me but the matrix had sensored the file and it had no data in it, so i had to rely on route sheets which i enjoy anyway. :ricky
    20201107_082420.jpg
    About to depart after the main bunch had gone.

I haven't really ridden in a big group ride like this for a while now, so it interesting looking at how everyone rides... and sometimes a bit scary watching as well... I made it through the main pack by Ngakonui road, so was able to enjoy to hill climb in what was now a roostered trail of loose gravel.

From Admirals road we headed out to Te Wharu and Homewood road.
    20201107_103047.jpg
    Looking down towards Homewood station.

A quick chat to a local farmer at Homewood who was moving cattle from the yards, who asked how many riders were coming, I suggested that there was about a hundred following, so he suggested I leave before the cattle truck took off, which I thought was a good idea...

We stopped in Tinui for lunch at the pub.
    20201107_120724.jpg
    Then a quick jaunt out to Castle Point for a look at the ocean again.
    20201107_115307.jpg
    Back on the bike and out to Alfredton, Barton road and Whangaehu Valley road, Ponatahi road and back to the Rugby grounds to finish.

I got back with a bit of spare time, so checked in and headed out to the coast to visit White rock. I have been there once before on a Pukemanu Adventure ride, many years ago. So it was nice to get back there.
    20201107_151804.jpg
    I headed back to grounds and had a good catch up with @Phreaky Phil and compared upgrades to the bikes. A very nice rear disc brake conversion, hmmm, I really want one likes theirs...
    20201107_162803.jpg
    I was a bit late for the GS line up photo, but certainly a good selection of them to celebrate 40years of the model.

After a good chinwag and dinner, the thought of riding home in the rain the next day wasn't appealing, so I packed up the dry tent and gear and headed back home to Taihape. All up a great days riding with 700km and 12 hours clocked up for the day:thumb
  14. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A screen shot of the days ride
    Screenshot_20201108-101634_Drive Mode.jpg
    eri, Bowler and Box'a'bits like this.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Nice report mate. 700k's and 12hrs in the saddle is a fairly decent ride, but a great bit of the country to do it in.
    dazzadm likes this.
  16. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesnt look like they did the loops I was expecting...
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to open the gps files yet so can't see what they were planning, but I did follow the route sheet with out bypassing anything except the short jaunt out to riverdale, so unless the had 2 sets of maps? I had been shown a route map the night before and I'm sure it had a couple of different loops on it?

Edit: I tried downloading it in different email program on the lap top and have been able to load the files in to Basecamp. It is the same route as I followed, so that is a relief.:nod
  18. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s huge, what’s was this place?
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was the old Abattoir building for Taihape. Then it was a sawmill, a dag crushing plant, a carpentry workshop and now a home. Its had a varied history.
    EVLED, innathyzit and Muzz67 like this.
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It had been decided that a holiday was in store, so Hahei was chosen as the destination and motorcycle would be the mode of transportation... Yay.:clap

Pannier boxes were mounted on the bike and loaded up. The weather forecast had been monitored and it looked like we might have a good window of fine weather over the weekend and possibly a day of rain somewhere... so wet weather gear was included in the list of essentials as well.

So on Saturday, after I woke up from nightshift, we headed northwards to Turangi, turned off State Hiway 1, as the eastern side of Lake Taupo is now a mix of 60km and 80km speed zones with very few 100km sections anymore. And the western Access is better riding anyway.

Whakamaru for afternoon tea then past Mangakino to the Lake Karapiro bridge and over to Matamata, Te Aroha, Paeroa for a top up and another cuppa at the Refinery, and on up to Hahei to stay at the Hahei Holiday Resort.
    20201114_155551.jpg
    The temperatures were progressively getting warmer the further north we went...
    We wondered down town for takeaways and had fish and chips with fresh oysters for dinner. Sorry I ate the oysters as I couldn't let them go off...
    20201114_183616.jpg
    eri, Muzz67, Box'a'bits and 1 other person like this.