Risers to address shoulder/back discomfort

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by cmikewil, Jun 5, 2019.

1. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve researched a couple of terrific threads here on risers for the GS, including Rox, SW-MOTECH, and others. All of the info has been great. Unlike many of you, my main concern is alleviating some shoulder/back discomfort for longer rides. I find that after an hour or so in the saddle, my hands are numb & my shoulders are aching pretty badly - I seem to be stretched out pretty far.

While I do a small bit of riding off road and wouldn’t mind actually “raising” the handlebars up a bit, this isn’t my main concern. I believe the true benefit to me might be fitting something that would move the handlebars back toward my chest a bit.

Are any of you who purchase risers for the same reason able to guide me on whether I should try the Rox brand(pivoting) or something fixed?

I’m 5’9” for what it’s worth. Thanks for the help!
  2. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" and had the same discomfort you described. In addition, it always felt as though I was having to reach for the bars, which caused me to sit right up on the tank and likely contributed to the pain I'd get in my shoulders.

I installed the Rox pivoting risers so I could both raise the bars a bit, but almost more importantly, bring them back towards me as well. Having the pivoting risers let me adjust both the height and how far back the bars came much more so then some on the other solutions would have.

Have had them on the bike for 3 years now and have never looked back.

PS... you WILL have to reroute the clutch and throttle cables to the outside of the forks if you go with this kind of riser, but don't be put off by that. Super easy to do and really not a problem at all.
  3. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same page dude! Risers will help enormously. I have had them on 2 GSs and a GSA. I always use the Wunderlich up AND back risers. No issues with cables etc. The Rox pivoting ones do look good though. These are the ones I have https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/w...JQsCCEDcRBvInV_4rtyQ6H02bzNkfMTBoCUygQAvD_BwE
  4. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin Zumo and Wunderlich bar risers side view close up.jpg
    LAFS likes this.
  5. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you're going for a lot of off road and require a fair amount of adjustment, I recommend a set of fixed risers. Given you're build, you probably want to go with a set that raises the bars up but also back, towards you. Black Dog Cycle Works, Rox or Wunderlich are all highly recommended. I went with Wunderlich as the other two were out of stock. A pic of the risers are on my bike thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-1250-hp-gsa-and-upgrades.1385628/ and @LBJ GSA posted pictures above. No cable changes needed, and they are well built. I highly recommend any set of quality set-back risers. They made a huge difference all around for me.
  6. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Wunderlichs are good quality etc, but check out what's out there, as what you need is the maximum up and back you can get away with (cable wise). If anything, I would quite like my bars a little closer. You can angle the bars down a little bit, which also helps (without any impact on full lock / turn). Get the bars as close to you as possible. :-)
  7. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Rox Risers as I was experiencing the same sort of issues. I would also recommend the "Foam" grip covers. I am not sure what they are called... My BMW dealership recommended them to me. I was suspicious on how they would work as I have a Dirt Bike Background and don't think they would be good for my Dirt Bikes. However, they really do help on my GS. I like them because the grips are fatter now and I don't seem to get cramps in my hands as often. Very simple to install as well.
  9. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Hey bud, got a link for those? How do they hold up? Would it be something you have to replace often?
    Donaldb likes this.
  10. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on 'grip puppies'. Also , put your seat low at the back and high at the front. :-)
    Deano747 and side-burn like this.
  11. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Sharkbyte

Oddometer:
    I have a new 1250 I just put them on. I suppose they break down over time but can't really say at this point. As I recall they were really inexpensive so it should not be a problem. I like how the grip has a greater diameter and my hands feel more comfortable. It really is not about the padding they offer for me anyway.
  13. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk/
  14. Sharkbyte

Oddometer:
    By the way use "hairspray" when you install the Grip Puppies. They will slip on over your grips and the hairspray will dry and stick. I worked in Bicycle shops for years and this is how we use to install grips.
  15. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't had numbness but the shoulder pain I had was addressed by the SW-Motech barbacks. I'm sure all the products that's been mentioned is high quality, go with what you like.
  16. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Grip Puppies are the best $18 I have spent on my GSA. I put mine on with just some soapy water about 11,000 miles ago and have had no problems with slippage. Also no discernible wear in that time. I've been having some "between'the-shoulder-blades" pain and remembered that I had some "modest" (8" rise") Jaffe apes put on my Harley, which made a world of difference. I'm going to order the up and back risers now.
  17. side-burn

Oddometer:
    The risers will be the second best thing you've ever put on your bike. 11k miles and they still look good, wow. How about the heated grip? They still conduct the head ok?
  18. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problems with the heated grips. Still as hot as ever...
    side-burn likes this.
  19. Sharkbyte

Oddometer:
    I agree... I live in Northern CA and it's not that cold. That said, when my heated grips are on High even with he Grip Puppies my hands were way too hot. However, on the lower position they are just right.
  20. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with all the above. Grip puppies, seat high at front & low at back, swivelling Rox risers (tried the Wunderlich but like the Rox better). I didn't have to reroute any cables.

Used to get sore just under right shoulder blade after 2 or 3 hours - all gone.
    side-burn likes this.