Risers to address shoulder/back discomfort

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by cmikewil, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I found the most important benefit of moving the handlebars up and back to be the ability to rotate the handlebars, thereby changing the (horizontal) angle of my wrists to a neutral position, preventing the hands from falling asleep. I don't think you need adjustable risers for that.
    side-burn likes this.
  2. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks to everybody offering advice. I’m going to start with the Wunderlich model since I don’t anticipate rotating/moving them once installed. The Rox rotating model will be in my in-basket just in case.
  3. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You all are in luck, Grip Puppies are on sale at ADVDepot:
    https://advdepot.com/products/grip-puppies?omnisendAttributionID=email_campaign_5cf155888653ed7e1c59300e&omnisendContactID=5896bfd29c62860106310b65&omnisendScopeID=56ea03a81bb670205bfc5745_2_10661532&utm_campaign=campaign:+Grip+Puppies+Sale+(5cf155888653ed7e1c59300e)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

And they also have the fixed ROX risers:
    https://advdepot.com/products/rox-1-1-2-barback-riser-for-bmw-r1200gsw-gsa-2013
    side-burn likes this.
  4. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Wunderlich up & back interfered with my tank bag - hence the switch to the Rox rotating.
  5. 150flyer

150flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Risers and grip puppies may help but another important part of the fit is bar rotation. If the bars are rotated too far forward, it puts more pressure on the outside edge of your hands which in turn may cause you to ride with your elbows out and shoulders tense. If the bars are rotated back, your outside edge hand pressure decreases, your elbows can come in and your shoulders can relax. This position is not as ergonomically efficient when standing for off-road riding and makes your levers harder to reach while standing but is much more comfortable for seated road riding. If you try rotating the bars back, just don’t go so far that the grips contact the tank in a full turn.
  6. BC Biker

BC Biker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Wunderlichs and the seat high in the front and low in the back. Think I’ll try the grip puppies as well.
  7. toolfooldan

toolfooldan Need a witty/profound phrase to put here...

Oddometer:
    +1 on risers with Grip Puppies. I have the Rox Anti-Vibe (and Grip Puppies) on 1200GS, and while they help with back/shoulder discomfort, there's still "high frequency" vibration that causes right hand to go numb. But it's a lot better than stock setup.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was using the Rox Adjustable risers because I switch back and forth between pulled back for distance riding and straight up for off-road riding. Frankly, they were just too much hassle to adjust back and forth since it was difficult for me to tighten the lower set of screws and then the upper set while trying to keep everything centered and stable.

I switched to a normal straight up riser (Black Dog in my case) and this Ilium Works bar back riser since it brings the bars back farther than any other fixed riser I've seen. Switching between the 2 fixed risers is faster and less hassle to me than adjusting the Rox was. It includes a brake line extension so you don't need to reroute your cables outside the forks like with the Rox.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  10. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I opened a link above to Wunderlich and saw that the bar risers were 99 Euro. Not having any Euro on hand, I went to Wunderlich America and got a pair of bar risers for only $189. The Krauts are really giving it to us Yanks in the shorts via the exchange rate...
  11. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get the Rox Risers (the fixed style) at ADV Depot instead
    ROX risers ADV Depot.PNG
  13. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rox are great, I preferred the aesthetics of the Wunderlich but they are a lot more money just for looks alone. Both will feel very similar I think.
  14. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both Rox and Hornig risers move the handlebars by the same amount (~1 1/4" up and ~1" back from the stock position). Hornig is about $15 more, but I preferred its look (round edges) which is more congruous with the bike. It also uses the bike's original upper clamps.

The Ilium Works risers look beautiful and will move the bars farther back (~1.5"), but require extension of the brake line.
  15. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
  16. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geeeeesh! I can remember a day when it didn’t matter how hard/narrow/degraded the seat was or where the handlebars were or how much they vibrated. I’d ride happily all day going any direction! I can’t imagine how tickled I’d have been at that age with my current GS...it’s ironic that as we move up to nicer bikes, we nitpick these (much) smaller imperfections.

Or, I’m just getting a bit older. :(:

I did go ahead and order the Wunderlich risers, but did so before I saw the price of the Rox (fixed) & the IlliumWorks; I could have certainly saved a bit of money there.

I’ll also try to rotate the bars as Gruesome suggests. While I played with the hand controls a bit, I’ve not yet tried rotating the bars. That hint makes good sense; the left/right bend in the wrist area certainly must have an effect on blood circulation in the hand after hours in the saddle.
  17. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was on the fence for risers.
    rolled forward a smidge and seems heaps better with a more even load on the palms of the hand.
    the couple of mm's you gain feels a lot more. there's a slight handling change you may notice as well.
    you'll notice it in counter steer cornering.
    i rolled to just below the 10 mark on the bars from memory.
    i didn't want to come back as i prefer a touch more weight on the front, but we're all different.

oh.. and..
    it's not called older.
    the correct term is mature.. :D
    CaptGS likes this.
  18. CaptGS

CaptGS '18 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Also in addition to the risers and grip puppies, the gloves with a gel pad in the palm area helps to minimize the pressure too. Oh yeah, we need to organize a "mature AdvRider" group so at every stop we can exchange pain killer medications and massage therapy tips and stories of which parts of our bodies we can't feel anymore!!!

But after all those additions the whole tour we can listen "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd!
    RJAMT, Nogoodnamesleft and bigjohnsd like this.
  19. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

codeine based drugs generally work for me.. :-)

but best not discuss massage therapy tips..
    30" inseam, tall GSA seat, sudden emergency stop in traffic.. yep.. best not discuss what i hurt trying to get my feet onto the ground in a hurry..
    damn those 1250 brakes are good.. :D
    CaptGS likes this.
  20. CaptGS

CaptGS '18 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I've told my wife that I need a young 90lbs Taiwanese female, just to walk on my back but she insists that my male chiropractor is more than enough for my troubles!
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.