Risers to address shoulder/back discomfort

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by cmikewil, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Spiegel

Spiegel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the discussion is about position (up and back). Has anyone tried the Rox Anti-Vibration risers? I will have hand numbness after long rides (2+ hours) and wonder if anti-vibration risers might help.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope.
  4. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim!
  5. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I had pain between my shoulder blades when I raise the bars a little too high. After I lowered the bars things were better. I think the best option out there are ROX risers. I got the lowest possible model. I think 1 1/2”. That way you have some height and the ability to adjust them forward and back.
  6. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    True but they include the extension and it only takes a couple of minutes to install. If you need to bleed your front brakes after (possibly) then that takes a few extra minutes.
  7. enrich

enrich Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set of the Wunderlich "up & back" risers. Currently have their 25mm risers on and will see if they are more comfortable.
    side-burn likes this.
  8. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Let us know how you get on. I'm amazed that BMW (or indeed any manufacturers) don't build them adjustable in the first place! We have steering wheel adjustment in cars, but bikes are all designed with the bars slightly too far away for my liking!
    RJAMT and side-burn like this.
  9. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also just got mine in the mail! I installed earlier today, and am gonna grab some miles tonight before the work week. I’ll report back, but early impression are good. The reach is absolutely less of a stretch forward now. So we’ll see...
    side-burn likes this.
  10. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ll allow for the fact that I’m probably shorter (5’9” and with shorter arms) than the average GS rider out there, but it sounds like both riders of my height and also those who are on the normal to tall side are fitting risers on their bike based on what I’m seeing in this & many other threads here on ADVRider. You either need them closer to you while sitting, or higher up when you are out of the saddle off road. Adjustable risers for a bike in this class actually would make some good sense, even if there were a charge for them - an option if you will.

Any of you out there buy a mid/high end bicycle in the last 10 years? One of the first things (and one of the many things) a good shop does when they “fit” you for the bike is swap out the handlebar stem to fine tune where you are leaning forward. There wasn’t a charge for this, I’ll add. You simply got an identical brand stem either shorter or longer by 5-15mm than what came on the bike. This is at the time of purchase, of course.

Wouldn’t it be cool if our BMW dealers offered something similar? Again, even if there were a slight upcharge at the time of installation, it would end up making the buyer feel more attended to & the dealer with a few extra dollars in their pocket. Kind of like selling you that pair of Klim gloves on the day you walk out with your new bike! Or, that $1275 additional for luggage! Or...you get the idea.
    side-burn likes this.
  11. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be a very good idea. I suspect most would get along with the up and back so I would seem they should at least start with that. Right now it’s akin to if every bike maker used a 50mm stem LOL.

P.S. installed Grip Puppies today. OMG they are awesome!
  12. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be tons of people raving about the grip buddies, do I need to get them? What do they do for you that are so good? I am interested....what happens if they get soaked in the rain?
  13. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are a no brainer! Cost about $10 and slide over your existing grips. I've only had them on bikes for 1-2 years (as I change my bikes quite regularly) but they appear to be surprisingly hard wearing. They dry out quickly after getting wet and are not fragile when they are wet. Surprisingly tricky to install. You have to man handle them quite a bit. I use a bit of soapy water on the inside of them and over the existing grips. Just makes the grips more comfortable. Buy 2 pairs, so you always have a spare. Note: You want the GRIP PUPPIES not GRIP BUDDIES! The former just slide on, but the later are wrapped around.
    Deano747 and JimVonBaden like this.
  14. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put the Wanderlich 40mm up and back risers on my '17 GSA Saturday afternoon and rode about 125 miles yesterday and it was definitely an improvement. Sits me up straighter with less temptation to lean forward on the grips, which tends to make my hands go to sleep. A person may have to play with the angle of the bars a little to get it right. The directions for the installation are a couple of pictures with some arrows pointing approximately at the bolts on the risers. Be careful to put the bolts with the thin heads in the holes where the bars go. The thick-head bolts will not go completely into the hole and block the bars. It would have been nice to have someone to help hold the bars in place. Be sure to cover your tank with a folded towel or something to prevent scratching. The bars should come from the factory with some kind of adjustment. Just my $0.02...
    side-burn likes this.
  15. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just one cautionary note with grip puppies, you may need to trim a smidge off the throttle side to ensure it allows the throttle to snap closed when released.
    Tiniest bit of Vaseline to slide them on. they don't retain water, allow the heated grips to work as normally, and don't seem to wear out. I've had them on my GS & Monster since new (2014) and look the same as when I first fitted them.
  16. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I used a straight edge and razor blade. Took a bit more off the throttle side. I used a spray bottle with a single drop of soap, sprayed a couple sqirts and pushed them on. Was easy. If you have an air compressor, that works best, but unfortunately mine died a couple weeks ago and I haven't replaced it...bad timing.
  17. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'5" and have carpal tunnel and had similar issues to you when I got my 18 GS. The solution for me was to loosen the stock riser clams and roll the stock bar back to the 0 degrees position (my bike came with it in the 10 degree position. This will bring the grips back towards you without raising them up which can exacerbate the pain between the shoulder blades. Another great mod are the bar end weights from Evotech, they really dampen the vibration felt through the bars.

I tried grip puppies on my Tiger and hated them, I preferred to use Gamma gel tennis racquet grip tape, more grippy, softer, waterproof, cheaper, and easy to replace when it wears out.
    side-burn likes this.
  18. enrich

Oddometer:
    Hopefully will have my 40mm's before the weekend and if the weather's good, get some miles in to test them out. I've got the small (can't remember the size) Givi tank lock bag, so hoping there isn't an interference issue.
    Deano747 likes this.
  19. enrich

Oddometer:
    Installed the 40mm's and have only had the chance to ride about 100 miles with them. First impressions- they do allow me to sit more upright so shoulders/arms were less stressed. I did find myself further back in the seat a bit, with my tail touching the passenger seat rise. I did experience a bit more helmet buffeting at speed with the OEM windshield in the full upright position, but it was nothing bothersome. Haven't tried them standing yet. There was very minor interference with my tank bag, but only at full lock. If i find myself at full lock while barreling down the highway, I've got bigger issues to worry about. I really didn't notice any handling differences with the change.
    installation was straightforward only after recalling Judgedelta's comment on the bolt head size. I installed the incorrect one at first and thought that somehow I was sent the wrong part. Once I remembered to look at the bolts closely, the install took maybe 10 minutes. Cables were tight, but following the instructions and snipping the OEM cable tie and installing the tie that came with the risers, the cables had plenty of room.
    So far so good.