Rites of Spring Ride

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Skinner, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    May 7th & 8th

Awsome Ride, 85 mile single track last year, two 180 mile dual sport routes.

I sent a request for two cabins to be reserved in my name, but tent camping is available also.

Last year there were close to 1,000 bike entered. But there were still no cluster f**ks. You can download the GPS coords there, plus they provide roll maps.

Mark it on the calander!
  2. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    im in. where is it?
  3. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Sorry, meant to add this link http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/v_nav/ccc_events.html

It is in Baldwin Michigan, lower pennisula. Two hour drive up from Indiana/Michigan border.

A bigADV contingent would be pretty cool.

Last year the dual sport route had some easy creeks, a small amount of single track, a lot of fire roads, and the rest were sand roads (great power slides).

Everything was well laid out, incl. gas food etc.

The routes have bypasses for those who don't want to do singletrack. (I think) never could bypass a challange.
  4. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Michigan is one of my favorite places..
  5. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Oooooohhhhhh....I like it.

I have wanted to ride michigan since I first went there in May.
  6. Fireman88

Fireman88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  7. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Each cabin holds three for 75 bucks per night, firepit incl. trailers are even cheaper, but the cabins kick butt.

Plus like I said tent camping is available $15 per site per night. But the cabins rock. Showers, microwave, refridgerator, weber grill.

We could always share the showers etc. in the cabins .
  8. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    ??????????

Who needs those?

Oh, wait, I do.

I'm gonna see if I can scrounge up one of my buddies to participate too. You can use a trail bike w/o tags on this, can't you?
  9. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    The single track requires no tags. But all bikes must pass a sound test, plus have a spark arrestor, that is the only requirements.
  10. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    And therein lies the problem. Course, I have a little time to round something up.
  11. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Last spring we had XR650R with a after market pipe with all the guts ripped out, it tested way off the charts. So we ran out to the local Home Depot and bought a muffler from a lawn mower and stuffed it into the end, wired it in place and it tested at 88 dcbl. way under the (I think) 95 they wanted.

Well down the trail something happened and we lost the small plug muffler:dunno

But it would be bad if he got stopped by the local DNR with their tester.

Anyway, just make it legal, it's not to hard to do, and it makes sense to stay in stealth mode anyway.
  12. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
  13. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    I heard that once you pass the initial test, you're pretty much free to put back whatever you took off -- I dont think they do random testing on the trails...just before hand...

So, dont fear if your sound fix is only meant to be "temporary" cuz you could swap it out before you actually hit the trails...

:thumb

have fun...I absolutely love michigan single track -- :wink:
  14. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Damn Fist, your up late too. I see your light on next to your name. I have never riden MI single track but I hear great things. I want some.:super Get back to study'n!!
  15. funkydrum

funkydrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rites of Spring ride is a blast. The event is sponsored by the Cycle Conservation Club and is staged out of the Whisky Creek Resort. You do need to be a CCC member (avail at registration) to ride in the event. There is a DS ride organized by the Great Lakes DS Chapter and an off-road loop utilizing the Big O /Little O loops in the Manistee National Forest. If you have kids with bikes, there is a fun 15 mile off-road kids loop (parents to accompany) that I have riden with my son. It is a great, crisp spring weekend in Michigan.

As for the sound thing. The testing is pretty tight and alot of the ride winds in and out of the USFS grounds. So it is possible (though not probable) for rangers to random test. Typically the people with the most trouble passing are the off-road thumpers with aftermarket racing exhaust.

BTW... the Great Lakes DS chapter does rides at most if not all of the major CCC rides throughout the summer. The CCC also has roll charts / GPS files for a DS ride around the U.P. This is not an organized ride but a great series of fire roads, abandoned rail road beds tour you can do with some buddies.
  16. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Ludington is one town away from the Whiskey creek lodge, that wolud be a great way to avoid driving through the mess in Indiana
  17. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I just found out that May 7th is my wifes 40th birthday. She says go ahead and ride (she means it too ) .
    I will go only if some of you are bringing your wifes/girlfreinds as well, Saturday night dinner will be on me (not any road kill, we'll go out) if you bring your wife/girlfriend kinda like the 40th birthday party of her dreams:wink: . At first she said I should go and leave her home, she'll go out with her parents, but that would be just wrong on my part.
    So, bail me out, talk to your other half!
  18. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    My girl is usually up for this kinda stuff. I know some other couples that might be up for it too. It will be good stuff. I'll talk to her and get back to you...
  19. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ill check with chainwife. This sounds like a good way to spend the 7th day of may :lol3
  20. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    skadamama just commited...lets ride.:D