1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riverina riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tripodtiger, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your thinking of a single RE having more get up and go than a xt225 I recon your dreaming. LOL
    Trotski, trokel and Flodder like this.
  2. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Just had the short test ride (of the Himalayan, Steve). It felt properly built. Everything that I used was smooth and light, as you expect with a new one.
    Within a few km I could feel the edge of the seat on the rear of my thigh. An air seat, sideways?
    The rear view mirrors fitted, which you will need, are pretty shit. I can see them lasting not very long as the stems are (long) and vibrate - especially the right one. The view is pretty poor too. And, they are convex, which means you'll have trouble with the following distance of vehicles.

The engine is super smooth. The exhaust has a nice deep note. It feels like there is a huge mass low down. As Dave typed, power is underwhelming. Reckon it says that on the box. I slipped into into 5th, up Lake Albert Drive, around 55k. Momentarily under 3k on the tacho. It did pull that, just not very well. Around town 4th.
    Fastest I got it to was 90k. I think 4500rpm. It did have more but ??? It definitely isn't the quickest thing on the road. Not for the freeway.

Suspension was tight (new) and plush. I pointed it at pot holes and patches and it was comfortable over them. Nothing went clunk. Steering wasn't effected.

The instruments are hard to read. The digits are small. LCD - grey on white. Digital gear indicator, compass which gives your NEWS direction. That display is north up. Warning lights look very small.

The rear suspension linkages are very light weight. It goes up on the centre stand very easily, resting not too far from balanced.

Riding position is fine for on road. I stood up briefly and thought the peg to 'bar relationship was good. I've often found I've had to move my weight forward or, felt that I was falling away backwards as the 'pegs were too far forward. Body shape.

The bloke from Fast Fuel Motorcycles, reported that gearing them up (15-16) on the countershaft seemed to be a popular change.

Some other punter there reckons that the 'bars tend to bend. Well, all steel 'bars do, don't they? He also reckoned that the build quality has been reported as much improved. Things fit and line up.

It's much quieter and smoother than the 20 year old 50k TTR. Being low, it's easy to chuck about. My feet scraped as soon as I made a turn at a roundabout.

If you wanted a bike that will probably be very easy to ride all day, over moderate country roads and dirt/gravel, without ever planning on constant speed of more than 100, yeah maybe. The windscreen seems to work ok, even if it looks really strange sitting so high with the headlight.

It will not keep up on the road with anyone, unless they are riding an old pommie bike, a postie or, another Himalyan. So, even a day ride with your mates on aging Jap bikes wont be fun. You'll be getting to every stopping point two or three minutes behind. If your mates all ride like ....................(fill in the blank yourself, I don't want to make anyone feel aggrieved), you could keep up.

Another thought - it may be a good thing for the shorter, lighter side of domestic bliss. I don't know that it would be inspiring for an occasional rider though. There are lots of wannabes whom bought a Harley that would be better on these things, 'cause it's a very simple ride.

20201004_141725.jpg

This was nice. The black and gold paint may not date as quickly. They are small bikes with a lump of an engine.

20201004_141740.jpg
  3. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    It will not keep up on the road with anyone, unless they are riding an old pommie bike, a postie or, another Himalyan. So, even a day ride with your mates on aging Jap bikes wont be fun. You'll be getting to every stopping point two or three minutes behind. If your mates all ride like You mean me dontcha:gerg...................(fill in the blank yourself, I don't want to make anyone feel aggrieved), you could keep up.
    :gerg
    tripodtiger likes this.
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    So what's the ride report on, 650 or 400 :hmmmmm
    Beet likes this.
  5. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    He says Himilayan in there eventually.
    BergDonk likes this.
  6. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Good summary @Triedoneandmeh....
    I'll stick to falling off the DR :muutt:muutt
  7. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Himalayan comes with an excuse @UncleGra ..........................
  8. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Had a loop around the Lake yesty arvo, fill up at Tallangatta, up Georges Ck ( still 3 sections to be sealed ), over to Wymah Ferry for a look, back up the top of Granya and back down Mullholland, up Yabba Rd , back down Lockharts gap and home. On the DR..very nice. No pics, my camera has drowned and can't be resuscitated.
    sidetrack one and fayeslane like this.
  9. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I was going to type 'old mole'.. and this is where keef should provide the next comment. But don't let past form prevent anyone else from dropping in.

Keep up. Donks. Only thing I typed about the 650 was the last line, to caption the photo.
    We've been typing about the Himalayan. Dave captioned a photo of one a day earlier.

Didn't think you lot needed to be spoon fed.

To sum up, "yeah, nah."
    Specifically, I think it would be a matter of days before the novelty wore off.
    BergDonk likes this.
  10. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    What !! No segue...
    Keeef..where are ya Keeef..?
  11. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    man-driving-on-off-road-segway-pictures_csp50822181.jpg
    BergDonk likes this.
  12. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many times I display a helmet with damage that is not on my head.
  14. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bonus points for the Fabulous Zarzoff Bros

Somebody ‘stole my horse and cart’
    tripodtiger likes this.
  15. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I heard it from Bullamakanka.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zarzoff Bros played near me often, dicks don’t grow on trees,

I have been all over the country, but I ain’t ever seen a dick tree...

We were blessed with some brilliant musicians :-)
    tripodtiger likes this.
  17. MarkWAau

MarkWAau I like roast chicken

Oddometer:
    I'm still lurking ... Coffee when you are next in town Ray??
    tripodtiger likes this.
  18. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    You've been growing kids. Tends to keep one off the street.
    I think I mostly missed that period, because of work. I think I could write a book of bad thoughts and ideas based on that subject.

They're only like this for a very short time.
    IMG_0042.jpg
    trokel and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. MarkWAau

MarkWAau I like roast chicken

Oddometer:
    I grew this too...

IMG_5425.JPG
    BygDaddee, Ron50, tripodtiger and 2 others like this.
  20. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    The band is getting back together.

Unc has got his instrument out.
    BygDaddee and trokel like this.