1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riverina riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tripodtiger, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that @UncleGra on the Left (in that pic)?
    Very Dapper indeed.
    fayeslane likes this.
  2. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    A bit further N.W. for us ..Young ,Temora.
    love those old black/whites, got stacks of the old folks on the farms.
  3. dnardy

dnardy Less work more bike.

Oddometer:
    Capture.JPG

Got this old girl running over the weekend, was my first bike. I have a TTR 50 coming for the kids for Xmas and wanted something small to chase them around on.

Anyone have a good site for downloading manuals etc?
    tripodtiger, trokel and Boxa like this.
  4. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I often look for part nos on Bikebandit.com Beyond that, any sites that I've found stuff on is the result of starting with a google search. It's almost definite that you'll find a DT or MX owners group on Facebook or a forum somewhere.
    Also, if you find a part number, you can get lucky just typing that into google.

Have fun with that. Your first bike or same as your first bike? Some details, please.
  5. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I gave my body a bit of a test this arvo. About 3 hours on the TTR. I went east out of Wagga and turned left onto every side road from Forest Hill to Borambola. The roads go nowhere as there is no river crossing. Best one was Windemarra Rd,just east of Borambola Wines. Few km long, up a hill with nice long views north and south. Country looks great. S'pose any rain now is probably the wrong time for the cockies trying to get it off.

Anyway, result for my body was "It'll do, pig. It'll do".

Looks like more rain from Friday. "Possible showers", according to the BOM.

Been on the phone with Graham. Black soil tracks west of Conargo. Avoid when wet.

Either go out there earlier (Sorry Troy) or later?
    I have to see the vet first thing Wednesday morning. Should be able to be mobile by about 10, assuming nothing goes wrong.
    Anyone saluting?
  6. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Don't let them take your temperature Tripledigits :eekers
    tripodtiger likes this.
  7. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    I'm heading North on the DR on Thursday.
  8. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Where to? How long? No, not Howlong.
    Did you speak with Graham?
  9. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    1. Walcha, Gloucester, Port Macquarie, Byron etc usual random planning
    2. Bout a week
    3. Via perhaps
    4. Not this week
    tripodtiger likes this.
  10. trokel

trokel Vinduro - Old dirtbikes are more fun

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about this coming weekend? then I am not available anyway as Kel and I are going away for our anniversary. I have a 4 day weekend starting from Sat 31st of this month. So that is when I was planning to do a trip somewhere.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  11. dnardy

dnardy Less work more bike.

Oddometer:
    First bike as in it's The Actual Bike, it's been in a shed at the parents farm. It's a '79 DT100, I reckon we bought it from the servo in Henty when I was 10-12 years old in the mid 90's, and i stopped riding it when I left home. The old man got the carby cleaned and a few things fixed etc about 8 years ago and used it to round up cattle a couple of times before getting himself an AG bike. I had the foresight after that to store it properly when he stopped using it and all it needed was fuel, oil and a pushstart and is running really nice. The old man tried to sell it a while ago but I persuaded him otherwise.
    I think the blinkers may still out at the farm somewhere, I'm toying with the idea of club rego for shits and giggles.
    I remember the bloke at the Henty Servo where we bought it said the old owner used to ride from Jindera to Albury on it over the gap, would have been a slow trip.
    trokel, tripodtiger and BergDonk like this.
  12. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I love the fact that many people have kept their first bike. Like me.

I can see Historic rego being a good thing. Tiddler Rallies are the g.o., even if RGV and CBR 250s qualify. On the topic of slow travel, there was a loaded CT110 on the freeway last week. He would not have been doing 80 on the flat as I went past.

I may be telling you how to suck eggs.....I strongly recommend you pressure test the crank cases. Wouldn't want to assume it's all sealed up and then find out it now needs a rebuild. Pressure testing it dead simple. I've made one for my twoies. It would just need you to make a bung for the exhaust and then something for the inlet to seal it but take the valve.

I'll find some photos to show you what you can do. I can bring my kit down, if you wish.

IMG20171215143723.jpg
    Pump, one way valve, pressure gauge, more hose into a fitting into the inlet port.

IMG20171215143730.jpg
    Fitting is through a rubber sheet, which is clamped onto the inlet. Fortunately, the LC has reed cage spacers, so I didn't need to make anything extra. Nothing more than a couple of psi.

IMGA0211.JPG
    It was leaking. Bit of soapy water showed a source. Fortunately, it wasn't an engine seal etc. Easy fixt.

IMGA0212.JPG

The exhaust are sealed with a rubber sheet under a tin sheet, held tight by the exhaust mounts.

It needs to hold pressure for about half an hour to be sure. If not, spray with soapy liquid to find your leaks.

Much cheaper than a rebuild.
    Boxa, BergDonk and dnardy like this.
  13. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Not such a romantic notion if your first bike was BSA Bantam :(
  14. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Some bloody nice Bantams about the place. And there's been a few fast ones too.
    Everyone was a lot skinnier when they had their first bike too.
  15. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Looks like Wednesday for take-off Raimundo after Davey has driven you to the vet.

Name your starting point. Howlong is best for me as there won't be a traffic line-up 5kms long at the check point there.

2020-10-20 (2)_LI.jpg

or maybe here..
    2020-10-20 (4)_LI.jpg
    tripodtiger likes this.
  16. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Or get a 4 stroke :D
  17. trokel

Oddometer:
    Ok, so obviously you are planning a ride this week which leaves me out. So is anyone else up for an overnighter or longer the following weekend?:deal
    The new comfort seat turned up today for the DRz and on top of that I am in the process of refitting all the touring gear so given that I have been working nearly 7 days a week for the last couple of months and I now have a 4 day weekend coming up i am busting to go for a ride anywhere. 20201020_215303.jpg
  18. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    There is probably no reason for me to not go for another ride. Not yet anyway.
    trokel likes this.
  19. trokel

Oddometer:
    Well hold that thought and maybe we can come up with a plan. :evil
    tripodtiger likes this.
  20. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    That was a nice ride. Howlong to Wanganella to Corowa, via Unc's route sheets. Except the bits that he erred. errr.:hmmmmm

Proved the difference in fuel consumption of a 250 when ridden on the highway v gravel roads and twin tracks. 330km v 440km, for 19 litres.
    We got to Wanganella with 220km done, as there was no fuel at Conargo (store being renovated). Gives me another job to do - drain and measure & mark the tank for fuel remaining.

Unc not getting anything at Conargo store.
    20201021_164137.jpg

Graham has about 2 litres spare, so we figured that Corowa should be doable. It was, after the 2 litres went in, it took 19.2 litres. That was 480km on the roughly 21 litres.

The video camera was mounted on the 'bars. Some is ok, get around to editing it later. One day. I need new batteries and some way of charging them off the bike. Another power plug! The gopro has got other issues too. It's about time it becomes the second camera.

Apart from sounding like it's falling to pieces, the tiddler tenere went quite ok. Yeah, it's not got enough power to spin the rear tyre and the suspension is pretty crap. I can live with it for the time being. Pottering along gravel roads isn't challenging it, so it'll do for now.

A billabong on Billabong Creek? Not sure, have to compare with the maps.
    20201022_111910.jpg

Tiger Trek would've been great on the roads we covered. It would use 100% more fuel though.

20201021_202831.jpg

The riverside camping area was Covid closed. We slept in the caravan park ($15 each) and had dinner and breakfast at the store over the river. Aside from a good feed, cold beer (except I could see through the bottles), the conversation with the owners was brilliant. They appear to understand the lifestyle required to operate a remote store. It's a business that relies on good opinion and recommendations. They deserve them, I reckon. I'd like to go back there, maybe with a couple of days with there as a base.

Graham's route sheets work well. Dependent on him writing all teh directions down AND highlighting the route changes AND recognizing the difference between yellow and green (one is the route, the other is a major road) AND him reading them correctly. Reckons that it keeps his mind working. If all of the ducks are kept aligned, it works really well. Compared to the GPS, which is difficult to see and takes a lot of stopping to enlarge, scroll etc etc, it has some important advantages. Lots of preparation and constant attention whilst on the bike are probably the worst.

Anyway, I'm back. I even had a decent backroads ride from Corowa when I thought I was going to be stuck on the bitumen. Bike needs attention now, tyres, oil, air filter. I reckon it may need a cam chain. 50k may be enough for it and there has to be some solution to the rattles.