Riverina riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tripodtiger, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top shit vitabrit. I’ve found myself wondering aloud recently wether my quest for the perfect bike is leading to a twofiddy, I love power, I love comfort, I love gadgets and bling, but what I love the most and what I’ve come to realise is probably the most important is just the general pottering about shit. I’ve been checking out the CRF250 Rally, Sprog will be getting her licence in a couple of years and we can buy two of those for what I’d spend upgrading the Capo. Three if you were buying a new AT.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  2. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    It's much easier to ride on gravel roads than a faster bike. Almost entirely due to self control.

I too think the Honda Rally may very well be a better option, for me, than the Yamaha WRR. Remember, I'm a committed tuning fork bloke. For one, the Yam may just be that bit too tall. For two, the Yam is a whole lot more exxie.

That typed, I'm still not in the market for another bike. I have my 'secret' project that I don't want to loose sight of. Saving for that one. Trying to not fritter it away.
  3. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    North, west or east? Tents? Ride to a spot for set up and then spend two days there? Or just a 4 dayer?
    You'll have to ride slow too.
  4. trokel

trokel Vinduro - Old dirtbikes are more fun

Oddometer:
    Haven't really had a chance to think about yet but I am now thinking if the weather is good i might do some stuff with the Kids Sat/Sun and then do an overnighter somewhere on Monday/Tuesday and thinking tent but maybe with access to a shop or pub. Any suggestions?

Kel and i got away for a little ride yesterday around Burrowa Pine Mountain National Park and it was nice to see so much water around from the recent rains.
    20201024_135101 (2).jpg 20201024_135647 (2).jpg 20201024_145529 (2).jpg
    tripodtiger, dnardy, BergDonk and 2 others like this.
  5. dnardy

dnardy Less work more bike.

Oddometer:
    Awesome photo's Troy, hopefully the Murray is getting a good flush and will be back to normal soon.

Is there any issues crossing the border inside the zone for just going for a ride?
    trokel likes this.
  6. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan - kids first.
    Which is where I am thinking. If I'm allowed to Melbourne, that's my first priority. Young bloke is down there and needs to get away. He doesn't have his own transport. ASAP I'll drive down and taking for a week away somewhere.

If I can't go to Melbourne, Monday/Tuesday sounds good. Weather permitting. Mountains?

You're inside the bubble? Get proper info from NSW Health about coming back.

I'm outside the bubble. Can't cross the border without self isolating when I come home.
    trokel and BergDonk like this.
  7. trokel

Oddometer:
    Like Tripod said, best to check for sure as it changes so often but as far as I know if you live in the NSW border zone you can go back and forth to VIC for any reason now with a border resident permit as long as you stay within the VIC Border zone. I have to do this all the time for work but Kel got her permit for this trip.
    As for the Murray it was definitely getting a good flush. This was at the campground behind the Jingellic Pub.
    20201024_152107.jpg

I had a couple of ideas and Mountains was one of them but after some more research it looks like a Monday / Tuesday aren't good days for it. Might give you a call at some point to discuss further.
  8. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Cryptic...Ride 2...rock the boat..
  9. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Graham, the gpx files from last week. Will you see if you can access them and play with them in Rally Navigator, please.
    You'll find the various back tracking is recorded.
    Edit- just came back to this. It's opened the file. This is a route from a tracklog. It follows the roads and shows U turns etc that we did. See the next post...

Attached Files:

10. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Then there are these I did today. For Troy and I. And anyone that cares to come along.
    Two routes that might open together. Proposed routes. I don't know if there are locked gates or dead tracks. They are all 'roads' not that that means much.

Edit: this is a route that I made, point to point, in Garmin Base Camp. Unlike the route that I made from a tracklog, this doesn't follow the roads. Straight lines between the way points.

When are we going Troy? Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Sunday, Monday, Tuesday? Er, I didn't get on to the Mt Hope Pub. I'll try them via Facebook.

Attached Files:

11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that rope swing still there?
  12. trokel

Oddometer:
    Sunday works for me and also looks better on the weather forecast.

Not sure, It was really busy with campers so we only rode down for a quick look and then parked out the front to grab a beer before heading back to Walwa.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries, swung off it many times back in Clubman/Pubman days and also we used to paddle from the dam at Khancoban overnight at tinpot (Tintaldra) then end at Jingellic.

Good times

:-)
    BergDonk and trokel like this.
  14. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Ray, I've plotted your ride to Mt Hope..looks good. 422Km from Old Narrandera RD. and Olympic way.
    Probably do the return leg to-night.

Edit..done the other half..except for the bit between Whitton and Griffith.
    Got you on the south side of the Bidgee.
    Longest straight is 56kms.
  15. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    An "I didn't think that through" moment - pulled up at the covid checkpoint with the GPS proudly displaying maximum velocity attained - whoops :D

For other border riders, the QR code on your permit scans fine through the plastic window of your tank bag. Makes it a bit easier.
    Richarde1605 and BygDaddee like this.
  16. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    When I crossed over at Howlong last week the car in front passed a large block of Cadbury's Dairy Milk to the copper. When he came to me I said "I saw that ". he foto'd my permit and waved me on..."Wanna see me license ? " I said , "Nah, off ya go." he said.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Probably his mum...
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. tripodtiger

Oddometer:

It didn't convert precisely. There was one section where it jumped to a road and didn't follow the track on the other side of a railway line. So, the programme seems to have similar track finding features at the Garmin.

Still, it's a bloody good thing. But, really does nothing that the GPS doesn't do. Just produces it in a different manner. Spice of life stuff.

Anyway, inspired, I made V1.2 of my new GPS mount.
    20201028_180819.jpg

Why V1.2? Well, I couldn't get the little bend in the middle of V1.1 that I discovered I needed. So I just picked up a good enough piece of scrap, left over from the V1.1 of the soft bag supports frames.

I also drained the tank, marking as I went.
    20201028_175602.jpg

I have to open the cap and cast a shadow on the left. Reduces the guesswork.
    I was surprised how much is left at empty. Good sump and it will do for those desperate few km.

Should I bung on the new tyres? Or one last trip out of these?
    One last trip I reckon.

Anyone else considering joining in? One for shift workers and the retired. Or flexible rostering.

Attached Files:

trokel likes this.
  19. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wife reading this book. 9E4B2134-87DF-4EED-B671-7359C08579DC.jpeg Flushing the Murray is not the way to go, nor will it as we have built all the weirs. Originally the Murray was not a running river but a series of ponds, the local tribes and their burning of the rushes stuffed it up plus the paddle steamers opening it all up. The book has impressed her so much she’s rereading and refers to it often. Regards
  20. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    LED strip light under the tank connected to a switchable source.

Change the tyres. :muutt
    hunter_greyghost and trokel like this.