Riverina riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tripodtiger, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of us that live in NSW, how do you interpret the 'Reasonable excuse for leaving home' from NSW Health?
    One excuse is for exercise and to take OUTDOOR RECREATION within your LGA. See below - copied from NSW Health (Regional areas)

As, I am keen to get out on the DR for a ride, but remaining within Wagga LGA (Which is quite large), with the big tank on the DR, I have no need to stop for fuel for the duration of a ride.

I know with previous lockdown/restrictions; that off-road motorcycling was classed as exercise.

Reasonable excuse to leave home
    A reasonable excuse is if you need to

• obtain food or other goods and services locally
    • leave home to go to work if
      • you cannot reasonably work from home and
      • the business is allowed to be open
    • leave home for education if it is not possible to do it at home
    • exercise and take outdoor recreation within your local government area or, if you need to cross into another local government area, stay within 5km of your home
    • go out for medical or caring reasons, including obtaining a COVID-19 vaccination.
  2. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I was doing some gardening on the footpath, Wednesday, when my neighbours said that there were reports that the local cops had written someone up for not wearing a mask whilst on the footpath outside their home.

I didn't rush and get a mask. I figured I was exercising. Well, it did give me a blister.:baby

Anyway, I had a think about it, mainly that the idea that it would occur was just bastardry by either the cops doing it or, complying with the directions of some shiny arsed half wit from some ivory tower.:asshat
    I recall being lulled into the same sort of act, ie laying in wait at a Stop sign at a seasonal railway crossing, years ago. I'll admit it now but, I gave myself a slap after having a think about it, post action.

Then it occurred to me that any infringement in those circumstances was much more likely to be a result of failure of the attitude test. :205
    Geez I hope that is correct.

At least Dobbo took his own advice.
    Do I really feel like doing the same today?
    zzzak, dobbo and Ron50 like this.
  3. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes you do Tripod

Recreational ride within the LGA

240672007_10223100611922322_7692802123646009055_n.jpg 240784929_10223100607082201_5392069151351557503_n.jpg [/QUOTE]
    paulbr and BergDonk like this.
  4. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I didn't.
    I fitted the XT with a Trail Tech Vapor, that I had from the 350LC and, made a mounting plate. Well I made 3, the first one was wrong. The second one was a failed attempt to use plastic and the third one I'm going out soon to alter.

20210828_172610[1].jpg

The speedo seems to work with the magnet that Donks had fitted to the front wheel. I waved the pickup coil past the magnet and got it up to 45km/h or something. Did 300m just sitting there. Only question is whether the long magnet, as fitted, causes a different response to the small magnet that comes in the Vapor kit.

I'm going to move the turn & high beam globes down below the key. That's this arvo's job.

Tomorrow, I take the straight cut primary gear to the engineer to have it taken off the old clutch basket. Then I can get that finished.

Do I prefer to ride or tinker?
  5. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    If it works, it works. All the magnet does is activate the reed switch. So as long as it switches, all good, I think.... I've used a few combos on different setups over the years, the only one that needed tweaking was fitting a new speedo, replacing a Vapor, to the KLX. At 20-30 kph the speed readout doubled IIRC, and it was in the FAQ, magnet was too close to the switch/pickup.

Been a while, did I have a pushie speedo fitted?
  6. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Yes, pushie speedo fitted. I'll suck it and see the magnet thing. Proximity is all important for inductive coils. From what I've learnt with the race bikes, I don't think the duration is important, as the pulse finish it what the computer looks for. Well, that's what it is with ignition and it's still just an on-off signal that the computer uses to work out what's going on.
    The Vapor also has ambient, time, various speedo & odo functions as well as engine speed.

The lamps are now down below the key way. I didn't like having that steel edge up top. It was a bit behind the headlight nacelle but, yeah just made me uncomfortable looking at it.

The seat is being redone in red gripper material, by Toby next door. He's got to get the material in first. A couple of weeks. No rush, can't ride it. I suppose I could put mirrors and indicators back on and have it historic rego'd again.
    BergDonk likes this.
  7. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon it'd be a Hall effect, how many wires in the cable? Too many bounces with a reed, they also tend to float at higher speeds, and like you say Raymondo inductive pickups are great for edge triggering but they are noisy. I've got a Vapour on the 525, speedo is pretty accurate compared to GPS, although on that thing I don't really get a chance to look at much else.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  8. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    You'll have to wait to find out how many wires. I've covered the connector near the pickup with shrink wrap in the hope it doesn't jag on anything. Unfortunately, it's on the front of the fork leg. I think I should wrap it again in 100 mile an hour tape for more protection.

I find it interesting how someone, somewhere, worked out the first use for the effect of magnets and wires. That sort of thinking just amazes me. Then there is the question of how many people knew of the effect but couldn't think of how to use it.
  9. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was a smart cookie Mr Faraday, but yeah I wonder how many others had stumbled across what happens when you spin a copper disk thru a magnetic field. Interesting that he "discovered" electromagnetic generators in the 1830's, by the 1880's power stations were being built. Had a squiz at "Machine Thinking" on the tube of you mate? There's a rabbit hole for ya.
  10. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Quarantine, Day 6......

20210830_101122.jpg
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon that's the greenest I've ever seen Baskerville. Place needs more statues but, get onto that Keefy.
  12. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    There will a culling of garden ornaments when I can get to the tip!
    Paul124ac likes this.
  13. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of the art you could create from a Manneken Piss welded to a Buddha, holding up that column with a windmill on top. You'd get a fortune at Salamanca mate.
    tripodtiger and fayeslane like this.
  14. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    And you wonder why they sold...

I think Paul thinks they saw your arty/crafty-ness a mile off.

I think he may be correct.

I see you put the good socks on.
  15. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the joint is on a hill....
  16. Cal KLR

Cal KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank F*ck lockdown finishes at midnight :clap going to head out to Talbingo (or further ) tomorrow. Gotta blow some cobwebs out :-)
    zzzak likes this.
  17. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog:dirtdog:dirtdog:devildog:devildog:devildog
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. Cal KLR

Cal KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what they mean??
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    It means you can play, but we can't. Don't take it personal.
    BergDonk and Cal KLR like this.
  20. Cal KLR

Cal KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Woody2627, I feel for ya mate. Only just read that Snowy Manaro wasnt one of the regions released. That sux's:(