RK says: "DO NOT USE KEROSENE OR WD-40 on a sealed chain!!"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sajohnson, Jul 16, 2019.

1. sajohnson

sajohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your post was meant for me, I have no idea what you're referring to.

I'm primarily a messenger. Most of my posts have stated what I've heard from RK; Suzuki; and Marco.

I'm not sure where, "...spray down the chain and wipe off the excess. WITHOUT CLEANING THE CHAIN" came from, but it wasn't me.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably meant me since I said to wash the chain when the bike is washed then spray to disperse the water and wipe dry. Which is cleaning the chain for me because my chains never get greasy in the first place.

I ride offroad. So the last thing I want is an oily chain collecting every kind of dirt I ride in. That's what kills chains in my world. That's why x and o ring chains have the sticky stuff on the inside not on the outside.

Since I run x-ring chains dry I don't need to scrub or degrease them because they don't get greasy in the first place. I just need to wash mud and grit off the chain when I clean the bike then add something to prevent rust.

I have never replaced an x-ring chain once I replaced whatever disaster I inherited from some previous owner. So what I am doing works well for me: clean with soap and water, spray with WD40 to get rid of the water, wipe dry.
    ColumboNH and ohgood like this.
  3. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So on one side of this debate we have people theorizing about kerosene or wd40 getting past the orings and destroying a chain and on the other side we have thousands of people who've been doing it for decades with no problem. Quite the dilemma. :hmmmmm
    JensEskildsen likes this.
  4. clammer14

clammer14 Itinerant Boondoggler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not an engineer nor am I a chemist, but have a lot of organic chemistry under my belt.
    Years ago I was a salesman for Pennzoil in Tucson, AZ.
    I do know for a fact that in the oil industry at the commercial product level there is a lot of cross-labeling and marketing that occurs (sometimes locally).
    Different labeling is done to increase prices (and profits) in particular markets.
    My best advice...Use what works for you.
    To me, microscopic deterioration is total corporate CYA.
    mitchxout likes this.
  5. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last chain drive bike that I put a lot of miles on was a CBR1100XX. It had a brand-new chain and sprox when I got it, and I never did anything to it apart from spray with WD40 and rag-wipe. I sold that bike about 22000 miles later, chain and sprox still fine. I may have adjusted the chain twice. If the WD40 was doing damage, it wasn't very severe.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    I wondered about this.
  7. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess trying to lube and take care of a chain is costing 8k miles a chain.

Dammit
  8. sajohnson

sajohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OP here...

Since the DR-Z400 manual specifies a "sealed drive chain cleaner or water and a neutral detergent", and the o-ring mfrs say detergent is compatible with nitrile o-rings, I ended up using straight Dawn dish detergent and a chain brush, along with a tooth brush.

That worked great!

Then I took it down the road and back to warm and dry the chain and applied Bel-Ray "Super Clean Chain Lube".

https://www.belray.com/super-clean-chain-lube/

Next time I think I'll dilute the Dawn some.
  9. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Dawn is awesome. Many uses.
  10. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I have used Simple Green for cleaning chains before, along with some hot water, and it works pretty well.
  11. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Does she cook too?
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  12. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get up at the crack of Dawn
  13. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put o’rings in my pan-cakes mixed with diesel.:thumb
  14. sajohnson

sajohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I considered Simple Green, but IIRC it has something in it that does't play nice with nitrile o-rings.

I may be misremembering that though -- I checked a lot of different cleaners.
  15. Castorp

Castorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the Dawn flings off when you take the bike for spin? Any remaining Dawn doesn't break down the lube you put on after?
    This is a great thread, by the way. You're asking--and answering--the same questions I've been wondering about.
    9Realms likes this.
  16. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    What are the ingredients in Dawn dish soap?

Ingredients: Inactive ingredients water, sodium lauryl sulfate, lauramine oxide, sodium laureth sulfate, alcohol denat., phenoxyethanol, sodium chloride, PPG-26, PEG-8 propylheptyl ether, methylisothiazolinone, fragrance, yellow 5, blue 1.

(I'm thinking the yellow #5 is the secret here for chains!) :lol3
    Amphib likes this.