RM370 restoration

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by ELSammo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my example, reasonably complete but with wrong backing plates and incorrect axles and spacers just so i could wheel it around.

With a carb clean i got it to fire up but it was rather rattly so only ran it for a short time. Sounded like it will probably kill, or at least maim and disfigure me at the first chance it gets.

[​IMG]20140213_171058 by EL Sammo, on Flickr
  3. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 370 was stripped and a parts list made of what was needed. Dad seems to be sourcing parts for it reasonably easy.

[​IMG]19-3-14 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

New seat cover and foam from the states, original base is getting powdercoated.

[​IMG]19-5-14 (1) by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Frame, swingarm and other parts back from powdercoaters, Dad was keen to get a good finish and with helping the powdercoaters with preperatio and matching the factory colour he got offered a part time job working there, he starts next week doing four hours a day.

new headstem and swingarm bearings fitted up now, should start to look a bit more like a motorcycle soon.

[​IMG]19-5-14 (2) (1) by EL Sammo, on Flickr
  4. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some more progress, fasteners back from zinc plating. Suspension is being hard chromed and rebuilt and should be installed soon.

[​IMG]7-6-14 (2) by EL Sammo, on Flickr

[​IMG]7-6-14 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

[​IMG]24-1-15 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

New rims and stainless spokes laced and trued,

[​IMG]25-1-15 by EL Sammo, on FlickR

Tyres will be installed this week then we will have a roller. The noise making rotational smokey thing will be the next major part to be restored.
  5. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]001 (3) by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Some more progress, we have sourced everything needed for the engine rebuild to be started including a new genuine conrod that was quite difficult to find! Luckily from the two bottom ends we had enough for a very good complete gearbox and clutch to be built.

New cylinder on original bore and genuine piston kit to suit has been sourced. Gaskets, bearings and seals along with a new kickstarter shaft also.

One gearbox had been previously assembled without a thrust washer and damaged the gearset, a lot of work in restorations is repairing previous owners damage in a lot of cases.

Cases have been repaired where a chain derailment in the past damaged them, the lower cases will be powdercoated and the cylinder and head high temp painted and oven baked.
  7. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]003 (1) by EL Sammo, on Flickr

The fuel tank, extremely light weight alloy item that unfortunatley had sometime in the past had the tunnel spread around 50mm to fit on another bike.

Unable to be repaired to satisfactory condition while intact the only option was to delicately cut the tank around the seams then straighten both halves with a lot of delicate metal shaping before having the tank rewelded as per original, with some shaping of the welds and seams and repainting along with the stock decals and warning stickers it should look quite nice, good enough for a racebike.
  8. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]DeCoster1 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

"Overall there is one big factor, and it is that today a rider can go as fast as he can anywhere on the track and the bike can handle it. In my generation, if I jumped down a drop-off as fast as I could go, I would bend the bike for sure. I would bend the frame, or the forks, or explode the hubs. "

-The Man, Roger DeCoster
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb
  10. farmer58ZA

farmer58ZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    El Sammo
    Very, very nice bike so far. Are you going to race it? They are one of the easiest MX bikes to ride. Despite being a few cc below the really big open classers they don't give much away in sheer speed. Going fast is a matter of hanging on the cable.

I had one at age 19. Waay too much bike for me and I spent lots of time in undignified positions, in the air and on the ground. :wink:

[​IMG]

Fast forward about 30 years and I got involved in VMX. What better excuse was there to re-create that bike? :

[​IMG]

Still every bit as fast and fun as the original bike.

Regards
    David

11. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    :lurk Subscribed...

Was working at a Suzuki shop, when these bikes hit the market like a sledgehammer. :eek1

Notable improvements over the TM400 and TM125, I had owned back in those days. :wink: :lol3

Saw Roger Decoster several times, at the Puyallup Washington rounds, of the Trans-AMA series... :bow

Few motorcycle companies have hit homeruns as big,
    as Suzuki's introductions of the RM, GS, GSXR series through the years. :thumb

And the Hayabusa, made a pretty big splash in 1999 as well... :evil :pynd

996DL
  12. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! This thread is a little tricky to update as my dad is doing the restoration in australia while i'm currently over in china.

Dad raced one back in the 70's and i originally intended to restore the 370 as a present for him but have never had the time.

Once the bike is finished i will be entering it in some VMX races, Dad assures me that they are a great open class bike and easy to ride if you short shift it and let the motor do the work, guess i will find out!
  13. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have the 1976 RM125S ( in box's) I bought new, the RM's were ground breaking for sure.
    Never saw Roger DeCoster race but did see Gaston Rahier when he came down this way. (early 1976 perhaps)

Great thread. :thumb
  14. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. SuziRider

SuziRider too many projects

Oddometer:
    Man, what a cool looking bike. And, a proper rebuild.:clap
  16. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]1-4-15 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

[​IMG]1-4-15 (2) by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Some more updates, i got to see the bike in the flesh for the first time it really is a beautiful piece of machinery.

The crankcases were repaired, the engine mounting points resized and replaced with machined pieces so the engine mounting in the frame is nice and tight to minimise vibration.

The cases had blanking plates fitted and were then powdercoated.
  17. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. farmer58ZA

farmer58ZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!
  19. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. ELSammo

ELSammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]rm by EL Sammo, on Flickr

[​IMG]rm2 by EL Sammo, on Flickr

Bottom end installed in frame, top end ready to be installed next, it should start to look like a motorcycle very soon!