rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you lived as close to the Santa Monica Mountains, and have ridden the area for almost 50 years as I have, you would know what a shit show it has become. From Eagle Rock PA, I highly doubt that you could know what happens there every Sunday. Lets put it this way, it got so bad the CHP had to start dis-allowing people to park just up hill from the corner. Look at the pavement where the Lambo pulled out and tell me there isn't a whole bunch of fuckwits showing off there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.098...wXr3hMpHQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

If you look just to the right of the pine trees at the last little bit of road you can see, you see where these "heroes in their own minds" turn around and go back up to just past the pull out where they circle back and go down over the same 1/2 mile section over and over.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.100...r57zmctdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
    el Pete likes this.
  3. palinka

palinka Sorry, I was taking life seriously

Oddometer:
    Between the police crackdown and rnickeymouse retiring it's gotten much, much better over the last year or so. I went through on a Sunday afternoon about a month ago and there was not a soul at the lookout or the hairpin. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is much better.

Having said that, you are correct, it did used to be a shit show every weekend. Especially once it was discovered by the car clubs too. Douchebags in exotics (like that Alex kid), bicyclists, ricers drifting, stunters well... stunting, Rossi wannabes dragging knee, Harley guys doing burnouts, name the douchebag and you could find it there any given Saturday or Sunday. There were a few years where I would avoid the snake section of Mulholland altogether. Just too crowded and too many close calls. Did not want to end up as a statistic due to someone else's asshatery.

For full disclosure, now I do pass through there every once in a while. The area is local to me and the snake is part of my 90-100 mile loop that I like to do through the Santa Monica Mountains. That loop has sections that are much more technical, and a whole lot less crowded than the snake. But I do like to stop by the Rockstore for a cold gatorade and a quick look to see if any interesting rides are there, and it's just down the road. I don't run the snake over and over, but on the off chance you do get the road to yourself it's beautiful! So please note that not everyone there is a total asshat.
    If you ever see me at the Rockstore say hi, the gatorade is on me.

[​IMG]
  4. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good enough reason to turn the thread into a shit show. Just using your rationale. So the motorcyclist is the asshat? :patch Not the Lambo driver not yielding to oncoming traffic. Got it, Benard.:puke2
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Who said the Lamborghini driver wasn’t an asshat? Never said the bike rider was an asshat either. Dropping the chick off so she could vid him through those couple of turns made him an active member of the shit show. Apparently you don’t get it!
  6. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    So you're suggesting that the chick should have just let it go and moved on after he apologized?

Seems rational. I'll suggest that to my girlfriend next time I need to apologize for something. :lol3
    The_Precious_Juice and zerohype like this.
  7. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, the last three pages contain no actual pics or vids, but a whole lotta whining.
    ozmoses, BywayMan and baldman1 like this.
  8. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Met Alex.Choi last weekend at a car show. Seemed like a nice dude. ;)
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Says the guy whining about whiners without posting actual pics or bids!!:lol3
    neanderthal and adam71 like this.
  10. palinka

palinka Sorry, I was taking life seriously

Oddometer:
    This was Sunday about 10:15 am. Seems pretty chill to me.

[​IMG]

And there was not a soul hanging out at the hairpin. No photographers, no looky-loos, no one.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Of course not. But listen to what she's actually saying... her performance was not one side of a discussion, it was a rant designed to rile up the crowd and escalate things.

He fucked up. Then he said he was sorry and hung around to face his near-victim. I would love to live in a world where nobody fucks up, but I'd be happy to live in one where everybody owned up to their mistakes.
    nk14zp, norton73 and allowishish like this.
  12. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was up there around 2-3pm on Sunday and it was pretty busy with lookey loos. I must have seen 10 rental car specials going up and down mullholland. There were plenty of people parked and standing behind me, lots of sport bikes and harleys pulling wheelies. Pretty typical Sunday. Nobody was at the hairpin. No LEO's. I'm pretty sure I saw rnickeymouse up there (old guy wearing the tan hat in the pic below).

[​IMG]

And yes I've given up on washing the honda
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in my single days, a girlfriend flipping out like that would have been a billboard size sign on the wall to dump her quick. :deal
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  14. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. You're right about me not getting YOU. I'm not the one arguing with everyone either, so carry on Columbo. Life is too short sweating hall monitors, such as yourself. "I can tell he was speeding and in the wrong also, because the girl was filming him". Hilarious. Not in a haha kinda way, but a faux pas kinda way.
    CRP6001 and GravelRider like this.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Speeding" isn't limited to exceeding the posted limit, it's also subject to what's prudent for prevailing conditions.

A busy tourist destination, popular with performance riders and drivers of all skill levels, at a roadside parking area where pedestrians and turning vehicles are likely to be encountered, the likelihood of other road users being distracted or making bad decisions because they are showing off for onlookers or photographers.

All these hazards have been documented in this thread.

I see it as a teachable moment. The lesson learned? When in such a situation, slow down to a speed prudent for prevailing conditions to leave a wide margin for error.
    JohnCW likes this.
  16. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Untrue. For starters, there is a moonshot length of old Super 8 film of guys having their girls or wives film while they coast by on their motorcycles. At illegal speeds they wouldn't be discernable.
    CRP6001 and zerohype like this.
  17. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing a section of road (same direction) more than twice gives a false sense of accomplishment, unless separated by at least a week. That applies to any technical road. These idiots are wasting their time in an unchanged feedback loop.
  18. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:

Video includes lots of stupid riding but this links to the point at which a rider completely blows a turn and goes over the double yellow.
  19. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower...

Oddometer:
  20. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    That's great - 55 seconds in sport bike goes by dragging knee followed by a sumo on the seat at the same pace. Hm.
    daveinva likes this.