rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    It looks like it was rideable for another lap or two to qualify for position.
  2. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fact: it's more fun to push a bike down than it is to push your knee down. SUMO SUMO SUMO.
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    :lol3

so true.

I used to ride out there nearly every weekend.

It's only busy when its warm - go up there in January and its like a ghost town. Those were always my favorite morning up there, cool and nobody around.
  4. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen!

I did a run Christmas morning last year. Went through a tank a gas and saw no other riders, maybe 3 cars, and the best part of all, zero spandex wearing Lance Armstrong wannabes.
    Woonjas likes this.
  5. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    yeah, its really nice up there in the winter time. There's usually just a circle of BMW owners standing around and talking about valve adjustments and snubbing me and my and my dented up 1150GSA

:lol3

Ive witnessed a couple of pretty nasty bicycle accidents up there - one of which involved a girl hitting a guide-wire at about 30 mph and she cartwheeled through the air, over the road and into the chaparral.

it was bad enough that I U-turned and went to make sure she was ok.

She didn't break anything but I sat with her for an hour while she cried and waited for her boyfriend to show up. Frankly I'd be surprised if she ever rode a bicycle again - this lady was traumatized by that experience for sure.
  6. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I once watched a bicyclist make a U-turn right into a path of a Harley. Bicyclist never looked, he just swung left from the right shoulder. This was on Mulholland right near Malibu canyon.

Guess which of the two ended up with the ambulance ride?

I used to be an avid bicyclist and even I hate the roadies. They are usually fine one on one, but get a few of them together and the collective IQ just drops, and their entitlement increases. And they used to hate it when I'd fly past them on a full suspension mtb. :D

Last week I caught a cyclist trying to fix a flat right about here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/KvG16wf9pvQ2

Bike and spare parts layed out right inside the white line. Never occurred to him to go on the other side of the guard rail, or to move up 50 feet and fix his bike on the grassy shoulder, instead of in the middle of the turn.

:asshat
    devo2002 likes this.
  7. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the Harley rider? Afraid to use the front brake, and instead had to lay 'er down. :lol3
  8. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley rider had no chance to react. Bicyclist swung out in front of him right as he was passing. Got carted away with a broken leg.
    Bicyclist walked away. Did not get cited even though there were plenty of witnesses.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Priceless!!
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I was just joking. I assumed the douche on the bicycle got carted away. How could he possibly not have been cited for that? That's ridiculous.
  11. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty good chance that the Rock Store has burned down in the Woolsey fire. Houses around Lake Malibu were burning last night, and that's only a couple miles away with nothing but brushland in between.

Edit: Not looking good. Just got word that Malibu Wines is burning which is just on the other side of Kanan.
  12. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    The trailer park across the street is gone...

Sent from my iPhone using because I'm probably bored somewhere
  13. TinyTrains

TinyTrains Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Different bikes are different and carrying 30% less mass ensures that.

This is why a lot of trackday orgs ban sumo's to intermediate, the closing speeds on the straights get into unsafe territory when at the end of a straight that sumo is going maybe 90mph but supersports are approaching at 50mph greater speeds.

So far as corner speed goes light makes right, as such those sumos can easily maintain the same or higher corner speeds as a super sport.

Awesome!
  15. Qsmkiv

Qsmkiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn I had reservations for Old Place Thursday night. I was going to stay in westlake and ride around for 2 days before going to the Long Beach show. Very sad with such great riding and scenery. I’m hoping everyone is ok.
  16. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I hope the rock store made it thru the fire ok. Neptunes net may have burned down too! Hope not, hard to tell with all the rumors on Fakebook!
  17. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rock Store and Neptune’s made it
    Rick G, bomose and khager like this.
  18. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    just saw on the news .....rock store standing intact.
    Uke, andykeck, Rick G and 1 other person like this.
  19. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard an interview with the owner of the Rock Store on NPR, Monday (yesterday). He said pretty much everything around the store burned, but not the Rock Store itself.

He said they still had gas for cooking but no electricity so they are emptying their refrigerators cooking everything preparing meals for emergency personnel.

I'm guessing most of Mulholland Hwy and the Malibu canyons in the fire zone look like an apocalyptic wasteland.
    norton73 likes this.
  20. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was there just last year for the first and perhaps only time. My buddy moved to AZ.

Pics from better times last year. Hoping for the best for everyone in the affected areas.

Rick G

[​IMG]

[​IMG]