rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought to post and revive the spirits- dead thread come back!!

9F56F12C-2755-47B3-B004-E89811752D27.jpeg
    WVhillbilly and GSAragazzi like this.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been hoping to line up some time to get up to Malibu to check out how everything looks these days. The last time I rode through there and checked out the Rock Store, Paramount Ranch and the other sights in the area was the Monday before the fire. I know Paramount Ranch didn't make it, sadly.
  3. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went there a weeks after the fire. Sad. Plus they now have a sign prohibiting going back and forth (up, down and back up and vice versa). It’s an ordinance posted as you enter the fun part. If a cop observes you doing so you’ll get a fine. Sad sad times. :(
    Tnwineseller likes this.
  4. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least as of the last time I was there a few weeks ago, the Snake is still closed. I’ve heard rumor that they don’t actually intend to reopen it.
    palinka likes this.
  5. ISUCyclones

ISUCyclones Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    20200628_142808.jpg Still closed a couple of weeks ago; those posts don't look too temporary.
  6. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:
    Correct. Closed to vehicular traffic, only open to hikers and bicyclists.
    There are a few properties on the closed down section, I don't know how those homeowners access their land. Maybe they were lost in the fire? I have not hiked back there to explore.
  7. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Wow, yeah, those posts don't look temporary. It's quite a trek for me to get up there from OC, and I've always enjoyed it, but if a lot is closed down, probably won't make it a destination any time soon. How about all of the other roads, like Piuma, Latigo, etc. Are they open? Here's my old Nighthawk on... I think... Piuma.

If just the Snake is closed, that wouldn't be a deal killer. I don't ride fast, and tend to hold up the sport guys anyway.

Such a bummer that a lot of old movie and TV sets went up in flames as well. I have a friend who hiked up there in the hills before the fires, and ran across the ape village set from the original Planet of the Apes. The cornfield was still there, grown over of course. He found several small chunks of concrete stained brown that would have been the ape buildings. The last time I hiked from Paramount Ranch, they were filming the old Hulu Show Quickdraw.

Also a bummer that the "Tree of Shame" on the Snake probably went up too. Always kinda interesting to look at the collection of fairings and Miata fenders.
    Nighthawk.jpg
    MrCrisper, Animo and ISUCyclones like this.
  8. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    When I was there last winter, the only piece of road I found closed was the Snake (not that I went everywhere). With regard to Piuma in particular, everything east of Malibu Canyon Road seemed pretty untouched. With winter growth, most of the landscape looked pretty natural at a glance. The view that was most apocalyptic was looking east from Kanan Dume. For me, at least, that's where you could really see the scale of the thing.
    Gone in 60 likes this.
  9. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:
  10. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the detailed descriptions. The Snake I can live without, but I'd like to ride the other roads in the area. I have a cousin in Hollywood with a nice guest house. I can probably use his place to stay over, do a family visit, and get a jump on some fun riding the next morning. And choke down a burger and onion rings at Neptune's Net assuming that is still open...
  11. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that the cyclists are thrilled to have the snake closed to motor vehicle traffic
    el Pete likes this.
  13. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    It is a bummer. Over the years, I’ve ridden or driven the Snake, then, when I got home, eagerly searched for my photos from the photographer’s website, imagining that I must look bitchen in the middle of a perfect turn, leaned over nice and low. I always ended up looking dorkier than I thought I would.

Something related ... I dig Steve McQueen stories. I loved Matt Stone’s book McQueen’s Machines. In it, he tells the tale of McQueen tearing up and down Mulholland late one night in the 60s in a modified Mini Cooper.

He pulled over to take a leak on the side of the road, and the car rolled away, hitting a parked car in front of a house. He knocked on the door to apologize and offer to pay for the damage. Supposedly the guy who answered was more interested in hanging out with him for the rest of the night than making him pay for a bent fender.

If Steve McQueen had banged on my door in the middle of the night, I’d probably have done the same thing. We had that Mini in the Petersen once. It was custom painted brown, as he believed it wouldn’t attract the cops’ attention as much as a bright color.
    strommonster, Animo, knight and 2 others like this.
  14. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected; 3x tested!! >:0

Oddometer:
    I've got family out that way...used to be in West Hollyweird, now in Woodland Hills. Soon as this COVID crap calms down a bit, it'll be time for a quick visit.

Four years ago, I did my typical stop @ Neptune's - fish & chips wasn't that great that time. Maybe a one-off experience, but hope it's better when you decide to go there...even if it's only for the views.
    olderigetfasteriam likes this.
  15. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:

If you are looking for good food in the area I strongly suggest The Old Place:
    https://oldplacecornell.com/
    It's maybe a mile down the road from the Rock Store.
    kwthom likes this.
  16. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Heck, Woodland Hills puts you nice and close to the Malibu Canyon roads!

I've never had "good" fish & chips at the Net... but, it's food, and it's handy.
    kwthom likes this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in Southern California and first started riding Mulholland Dr. back in 1972 on a Yamaha R-5, I can easily say I'm not at all disappointed with "The Snake" being closed off. I currently live about 20 minuets from "The Snake" and have long before it was called "The Snake". That little section of the road had become a total zoo. Over the years I've seen so much stupidity and the stupidity that going back and forth a dozen time a day showing off for the crowds, I'm glad it's over. There are lots of other little sections of roads like over on Latigo Canyon, Stunt, or Piuma Road that are easily just as challenging. A short section of those roads at along a same distance those "Heroes in their own minds" do over and over again on Mullholland could easily do without getting all of the attention "The Snake" . But it was all about the attention and showing off that made "The Snake" the joke it became.
  18. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is ADV, ride through that gate.
  19. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    But what about rnickymouse?
    Did he get unemployment compensation?
    kwthom likes this.
  20. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    That place looks very nice, but I've never been there... Since the Malibu Canyon roads are nuts on the weekends, most of the times I've gone were hookey days from work. Not planned, mind you, just wake up, look out at a sunny sky, decide I did not want to deal with the world that day, and think "screw it, let's just ride."

Cue the music from Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

Call in sick to work, and not tell the wife I was blowing off the day to go riding, because she's best friends with my boss' wife, and I didn't need stories to get crossed. At that point, I would be planning on covering my financial tracks for the day.

I'd be smart enough to gas up my bike close to the house, but too stupid to remember to get cash out of a close ATM. I'd realize that fact once I started to get hungry, and would see how much I had in my wallet. I could typically afford a cheap burger, but charging a nice lunch in Malibu Canyon would probably elicit "What were you doing in Malibu on a Wednesday" once the statement came. I was also too stupid to remember to grab it out of the mail before she looked at it.
    mitchapalooza and kwthom like this.