Road Closures in El Dorado NF?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by SKWERL, Aug 24, 2005.

1. SKWERL

SKWERL Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this article on a local (Sacramento, CA) station website this morning... I'm not sure how much this impacts off road riders, but it might be worth looking at.

Is this 205? Does anyone know more specifics? Is this a routine activity or a preamble to a bunch of road closures? I have a hard time translating the bureaucratese into English.

Here are some links to the relevant forest service website... The map index seems like an interesting tool.
    Project Description
    Map Index

bryan
  2. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll translate, It means all roads are closed to new Jeeps! :lol3

Later
    Jim
  3. SKWERL

Oddometer:
    Dang, you and Gary are really tag teaming all of the forums, aren't ya? :rofl :rofl

bryan
  4. jp4evr

jp4evr I'm a dad, have a ceegar

Oddometer:
    This could actually do two things. First, many of the "trails" that we use on our bikes and/or jeeps (mine is an old one - whew :D ) will probably be closed as those have been "made" just by use over time.
    Where we take small DS bikes now may not be open to bikes in the future unless we speak up and keep foot, mtn bike, horse trails open to DS bikes too.

However, this will be a great opportunity for BlueRibbon, FOTR, TreadLightly and others to work with the FS to help designate and then protect off-road trails. If we are able to identify what is a FS road and turn some trails into FS roads, we will protect those against additional closure activities.

Stay active and voice your opinion. I think I saw this also posted on JeepAholics Anonymous - yes, I'm still recovering - and this will likely have the biggest impact on them as bike trails tend to be more versatile for hiking and mtn bikes. "less visible / breadth of impact on environment"
  5. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    This can only mean one thing ------ time to throw some more mud on the license plate!
  6. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of my favorite places on the Eldorado are getting trashed and I for one will be advocating for at least one short stretch of dirt road to be closed to through travel or even closed completely. I live here and ride all over the forest on dirt and paved roads. Few if any of these roads would be affected. They're not talking about wholesale closures, they're talking about closures here and there where OHVs are causing problems. It is an entirely appropriate exercise. :nod
  7. luv2lean

Oddometer:
    It is my understanding the US masterplan is exactly wholesale closure - To identify existing roads, close some of those, and prohibit vehicle travel anywhere off the roads that make the cut.
  8. SKWERL

Oddometer:
    That's good info to know--thanks Kurt. Of course the real fun begins when you get the folks at both ends (close nothing or close everything) involved and the reasonable folks get caught in the middle. :puke1

bryan
  9. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?! God, I hope so. Practically anyplace they let them go gets ruined. A fair number of the OHV crowd don't have the sense God gave a chicken. Left to their own devices, they'd turn big parts of the forest into a trash-filled dustbowls.
  10. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant idea. You know some of those stupid OHV riders with the sense of a chicken actually strap refrigerators and sofas to the back of their bikes and dump them up in the forest. And those sneaky bastards, they are not limiting their litter to the forest anymore, they are branching out into the suburbs and cities. The hell with closing all the trails and roads, we need to ban the sale of off highway vehicles, that will put a stop to the garbage.

And while we’re at it the next time someone is arrested for DUI we should shut down all the bars. When a motorcyclist is seen wheeling down the street and recklessly operating a bike we should ban the sale of all motorcycles. That will take care of all the problems we have with those two groups. Brilliant! Every time someone abuses a public trust or proprerty we will just remove access to the trust for everyone and problem solved. Genius!

Jim in Sacramento
  11. luv2lean

Oddometer:
    Gee Kurt, I so happy to see your acknowledging your creator, but sad to see the faith in your fellow man has sunk so low.
  12. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    I just hope they stay the **** out of Idaho after CA is closed up.
  13. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Guys - I just happened upon this at random, I'm not in your area. HOWEVER - the requirement to inventory and classify is part of a NATIONAL effort. Blue Ribbon Coalition, etc. has been asking off-road motorized users to BE ACTIVE and make sure that "your" trails ARE put on the official trail list. Get out there with the GPS! If nobody steps forward to get a trail listed, it may never make the list and thus travel will be prohibeted.

Somebody DID have a point that the Forest Service etc. had lost control of their own lands, didn't know where trails were being used, and that it was not sound environmental management to simply let traffic go wherever at random.

In the East this process may actual lead to MORE trail in that areas that formerly had NO designated trails and that were formerly closed to ANY motorized use, now are starting a designation process which *might* result in some trails designated for motorized use.

Yes this started with enviros trying to stop or reduce motorized use - but we CAN defend our trails and maybe even get some new ones in some areas (probably not out West where you will be fighting a holding action).

(Off soap box now.)