Road King Seats

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, May 4, 2019.

1. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never really been a fan of Harley seats. It's not that they're badly made, they just never seem to fit me that well. I've also never much cared for the huge-hunk-of-foam out back. So when I got a new M8 a couple years back I went from this:
    65FC0F3A-31FC-4B5B-8B49-AADF20A2E969.jpeg
    to this, a Mustang Day Tripper:
    976FE1D1-29F0-4C49-B45C-CA051380BA6F.jpeg
    'nice seat, low profile & lets you move about a bit. I took it out west a few times and it was fine. Still,
    it always seemed to want me sit an inch or two more forward than I really wanted (6'2"). Mustang has one (Super Tripper) that moves it back but it doesn't offer a back rest & since for me this is primarily a touring bike I wanted to give that a try too. I found it in a Le Para Outcast Daddy Long Legs. Outcast because it has a minimal passenger section (that lines up perfectly with the detachable rack I use to form an ideal platform for my seat bag). Daddy Long Legs because it moves you back an inch or so.
    4E3426E6-538F-45BB-BC7B-D0875C2F94D2.jpeg
    The back rest is nice, easily adjusted or taken on and off (w/o tools). I haven't used it much but on the next big trip I plan to:
    981430EB-78E8-40F0-9491-6DBB7892DD9B.jpeg

It's a VERY well made seat by the way, the pan alone is about as stout as I've seen in years. Anyway, as this is a new one to me, in case you are looking for more room in a one piece that will line up with your rack & comes with a detachable, adjustable backrest this is a good option at roughly $650.
    Traxx and rauchman like this.
  2. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I have a Le Pera aviator on mine, and agree with your assessment of the quality. I want to try the police saddle, though, to see if I like that riding position better.
  3. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the cop seat is perhaps the most comfortable of the OEM Harley seats for a Road King. It moves you up a bit
    which is nice as well. It does not, however, let you move around much, something I like to do during long days in the saddle. Also, as it has no rear section, there is less of a platform for a seat bag to rest on which is something
    I use extensively while on tour:
    7F9B9737-42B8-498A-A8BC-94C2E01B7179.jpeg

'nice seat tho if neither of those factors apply.
  4. grelcar

grelcar Not lost, just confused

Oddometer:
    Do any of these seats raise you up?
  5. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The police seat raises you up a good bit, I have fitted the same one to several touring Harley-Davidsons.
    Traxx, anotherguy and Kevm like this.
  6. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you look at this profile shot, it moves you up quite a bit actually, quite comfortable too. Motor patrol officers are in the saddle for hours, day after day, if it wasn't comfortable, it would have been changed years ago
    B422CEC3-6B81-4401-9F11-F9651E7C1A1A.jpeg
    Traxx, johnwesley, LexLeroy and 6 others like this.
  7. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I don't have a Road King, I have a Switchback and have about 4 seats sitting in my garage. 5 if you include the seat on my wife's Switchback (she has one too).

Included among those is a Corbin Classic Solo w/ backrest. Of the backrests I've tried (Corbin and Mustang), the Corbin feels the best. I love that the Corbin actually locks to the bike, as does the backrest. Having said that, the seat is rock hard and has very defined corners on the edge where my thigh lays over it, causing discomfort on long trips. It also transmits every vibe the bike is producing and every road imperfection I roll over. This seat moved me about 2" back and 1" down. I've come to the conclusion I don't want to dropped in seating position, but instead ...raised.

HD Tallboy - Definitely an uptick in seat construction and quality over the stock seat. This raises the riding position by 2" and back by 1.75". Dramatically changes the riding position. Seat surface is wide and flat allowing easy repositioning. This one does not come with a backrest though.

Currently using a Mustang Wide Touring w/ backrest and separate pillion. A smidge roomier than the stock seat, the seat is stoutly made and it has a backrest! Not quite as form fitting as the Corbin, but not bad.

I've toyed with trying something else, but I've decided to not sink any more money into this bike. Ironically, I want a Road King!
  8. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I've got a collection of seats from a variety of bikes too. Typically, I'm trying to raise the height to give me more legroom and flatten the profile so I can more easily slide back. In fact the King is about the only one where I've not felt the need to add leg room, floor boards give you a lot more options I guess. The nice thing about Kings
    is whatever you are looking for, there are apt to be at least a few dozen options available. I've never had a Le Para before tho, I get the distinct impression they really know Harley's and what they are doing. It's the first seat I've bought where I was as impressed with the construction underneath as I am with the top.
    rauchman and Chillis like this.
  9. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Custom Russell Daylong Saddle. Similar tractor seat comfort as the Police seat, but is custom made to your needs and wants. Generally the last seat you'll need to buy for your motorcycle.
    concours likes this.
  10. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the police seat also. Moving up and forward allowed me to put some weight on my feet to move around easier when I wanted to. Took some of the weight off my tailbone. I have long legs and don’t feel cramped. I also like that my feet are more “under” me instead of in front of me when I am in rush hour traffic. It is an easier transition from on the floorboards to the ground. I added the spools so I can install a quick detach rack over the rear fender for my stuff. My wife rides her ninja, so I never have to worry about a passenger.
    11658FEB-AC36-46EE-8081-5F11464D09B1.jpeg
    Traxx and Kevm like this.
  11. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could adapt this Sportster seat.

[​IMG]
  12. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an FX Pillow seat on Night Train for long rides. Few times to Northern Maine without a single complaint. I sure they still sell them, I would assume under a different name though.
  13. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the saddlemen step up seat on my touring. It's a bit stiff out of the box but after about 500 miles it breaks in really nicely. Thin, and tall with back support, couldn't ask for a more comfortable seat. image3 (2).jpeg
    Crocodile Tears, Chillis and rauchman like this.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    That my bike! Love the seat, all day comfort and a great view over the tall windscreen. I bought a matching Mustang passenger seat and added a huge Adv tray to the radio box mount.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're in the DC area, you should check out John Longo in Rockville, MD. I've had him work on three or four different seats and they are all incredible. He worked on the seat on my Road King on a Wednesday and I took off for a 4,000 mile trip on Friday. No brake in period for any of the seats he's made. Very reasonable prices too.
  16. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it's comfort you want on any HD Touring bike, it's the HD Hammock Seat that you want.
    Juan Loboe likes this.
  17. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @rider33 have you had a chance to get some long rides in on the LePera Outcast? If so, what's the verdict?

I am looking at a supplemental seat to the police setup I have now. I've spent a couple of days now of 4+ hours on the police seat, and like you've said previously, it doesn't allow for a lot of shifting around, and I found I was needing some of that after a few hours. I'd like to get something else, preferably with a backrest, and I like the LePera DDL series seats.

I'm not sure why the Outcast is typically $100 more than the Maverick (both DDL). I prefer the looks of the Outcast, though.

Do you think a solo tour pak rack could fit over the back edge of the Outcast? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it might be low profile enough to just fit. I could take some measurements of the height of the bottom of the rack off the fender, if needed.

The other option is to get a solo seat that sits me a bit further back (C&C offers up to 2" back with a backrest, 3" without) and run the solo tour pak with that.

I would not have thought I'd be running anything but the police seat with my long legs, but I bought some of the Tall Boys lowering brackets that move the boards down and forward 2", and then out of curiousity put the Street Glide seat back on the bike. It still puts me too far forward, and it's still low, but now my knees aren't above the tank. It's actually not a bad position. If I were a couple inches further back it might be good. A bonus is that now my 20" windshield is tall enough!
  18. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been quite happy with the HD Tallboy seat on my FLHTK, nice thing about Harley seats is you can test them on your bike *.

I've also had good luck with Corbin and Mustang seats over the years. Mustang Vintage on my Yamaha Warrior is great.

Best seat ever was the Corbin gunfighter on my Shovel, I could sit on that seat all day long. Too bad the bike rarely want a whole day without something falling off.

* Some dude took out a loaner test seat from my dealer and never returned it, then he had the balls to bring the bike in for service with the loaner seat spray painted black (they have "demo" printed all over them in orange).
    bobw and Traxx like this.
  19. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it happens, I put about 1,200 miles on it in the last two days, I'm on my way out to the Pacific Northwest.
    Normally I bring a sheep skin for long trips, this time I decided to leave it and man, I haven't missed it. I don't know what kind of wonder goo LePara uses but damn, that's a comfortable seat! It's also long so moving around is not an issue for me. On the box/solo thing I can't say. Mine is a Daddy Long Leggs Outcast so the passenger area is minimal and it mates to my King Rack nicely to provide a level platform for my seat bag:
    4AB06434-5B40-4297-A686-E26186AFA8C9.jpeg
    The one thing tho I really want to point out is that a removable (in 3 seconds or less), adjustable (for height and angle) backrest is a revelation. I've always just used the back of the seat bag but a real backrest is WAY better. If you do much touring I would liken it to having or not having cruise, a major increase in long distance comfort. Whatever you do, get a backrest!
  20. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, I can't resist, for you Northern Exposure fans:
    1EA6F294-D7EC-4871-94FB-D96F10B6BBEB.jpeg
    Roslyn, Washington, the filming location for the Northern Exposure series (why the hell that's not on netflix I will never know). And, back to business: a couple on thousand miles in and yes, I still love that seat...