Road King Seats

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, May 4, 2019.

1. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    I have been using a Seat Concepts seat for most of the year. It's not a kit like most of their seats, it comes ready to ride. Works quite a bit better than stock.

It still gets a bit long in the tooth past 500 mile days but maybe I need to get off and stretch more.

Stock left, Seat Concepts right.

[​IMG]
    Laconic likes this.
  2. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second Sundowner for my Road King. Wore out the first one. I have the adjustable Rider's backrest for it also. The backrest is great for longer rides without the windshield. 6'1" with 32" inseam.
  3. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:

Yeah I think you probably have the right idea here. You've adjusted the preload right? But $700 vs. a $5 spacer? I would at least try the spacer first.
  4. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, adjusted preload. Started out with it as delivered, then cranked in another turn. That kept the seat pretty much static unless I really romped on the throttle, or hit a good bump. I've actually taken half of that back out again just to get a little more float under normal conditions.

Spacer will be next experiment.
    Kevm likes this.
  5. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Outcast is technically a 2-up seat but the passenger section is minimal at best, I only wanted enough there
    to catch my seat bag actually. It definitely moves you back tho, maybe an inch or two. For me the other important bit (other than that wonderful backrest) is the flatish area that lets you slide back & forward a bit, that I REALLY like.
    764C9D0C-F9C4-47AA-AFC0-53FBF236F3B1.jpeg
  6. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used Seat Concept Seats on other bikes to good results, I wasn't aware they made Harley seats, 'good to know.
  7. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the Outcast the best, style-wise, but I also think the Kickflip would probably feel nice with the wall of support behind your butt/lower back. I think it has a little thicker foam in the driver section, too. I just don't think it would look "right" on the Road King, especially one that is not black. It seems to work better visually on the Electra/Street/Road Glide.
  8. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the opportunity to buy a used LePera Maverick Daddy Long Legs with backrest popped up on HDforums and I decided to pull the trigger and try it out. Saved some money from buying new, and figured I could turn it around without much loss if it didn't work out.

Had a chance to take it out for a brief jaunt today. First off, changing out from the police seat to the regular seat is a pain in the ass, although I'm getting faster at it having done it a few times now. The having to remove the battery part is what makes it more of a hassle.

When I sat on the LePera after first installing it, it was quite the shock how much lower and farther back I was. It felt like I was sitting on the fender.

My bars now felt too far forward and the 22" windscreen, which I looked well over sitting on the cop seat, I was now looking through about 1 or 2" inches down from the top edge. If I craned my upper body and sat board straight, I still had the top edge of the screen right in the middle of my field of view.

Riding, it felt low, like my knees were well above my hips, but in the short amount of time I was on it, I didn't get any hip cramping. Usually it doesn't take much time at all on a standard seat to get hip flexor cramps.

The bars didn't feel as far forward while riding as they did sitting on it in the garage, but I may roll them back a bit anyway. Going full lock required shifting forward in the seat.

I was looking through the screen the whole time. Not a fan of that. If this thing stays on the bike I'll likely go back to my original screen (20").

I felt like I was sitting on my tailbone, but it didn't really bother me. I wasn't using the backrest for this ride, and the back support from the rise to the passenger seat still kept my hips in position. I don't know why I keep buying backrest seats; I've had a couple now and they always disappoint me. Just the way I sit in the seat, I guess. The only backrests I've tried that felt like they would support me on a long ride are the stock H-D backrest, the backrest that Indian uses, and of course a big ass duffle bag strapped on the passenger seat against a sissy bar. All the Mustang style (which is what this LePera one is, exact same backrest) just don't do anything for me.

Many folks say LePera makes a firm/hard seat, but this one doesn't feel that way to me. I don't know how old it is, though. Maybe the foam has broken down some. It's nowhere near as hard as the Touratech (Kahedo) on my BMW, nor any Corbin I've sat on, no matter the age. I like a firmer saddle and this one had more give than I was expecting, but it didn't feel bad (like the stock seat). Granted, I didn't go that far.

Oddly enough, I actually kind of prefer the handling of the bike, especially at lower speeds, sitting lower and farther back. Maybe that's a tall person thing. Either way, it was immediately apparent to me.

So I don't know, I guess a longer ride is in order. I feel like if the main seating area were 2" taller, we'd be perfect.

And as it just so happens, it looks like LePera has a new line of "Tall" Daddy Long Leg seats that add extra foam to the rider's seating area. Maybe I'll get one of those and this one will go up for sale.

0208201652.jpg 0208201653.jpg
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mind if I ask how long your Sundowner lasted? Did the cover wear out or did the foam lose its support?

I'm planning on taking out a Sundowner and Hammock demo seat this Spring from my dealer. While I've done 700 mile days on the stock seat, I would be more comfortable with a seat that was 1-1.5 inches taller (to reduce my hip angle) and the step up to the pillion perch 1-1.5 inches closer to the bars. I have the adjustable backrest.
  10. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hammock is the way to go.
  11. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got about 40K miles out of the first one. The foam base lost support. I'm about 200 lbs. The trial seat program is the way to go! Everyone's posterior is different.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  12. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see how going from the cop seat to a daddy log legs might seem a little weird, 'very different animals. I'd give it a little time & take it on a longer ride to see how it feels. On the back rest, the only time I use it actually is while out on tour. For a few hours in the saddle it just gets in the way, 8-10 hour days, for days on end tho its very nice to have. I use to use the back of my seat bag for that purpose, a proper backrest is MUCH better I find, better support, allows me to to lean back to stretch.
  13. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I have a spare Police seat from my 2003 Road King that anyone can borrow for a while to try it out.
  14. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rolled my bars back a bit more and it feels MUCH better. Also, I changed my mind about the back rest. Riding with the back rest is the way to go, after having spent some time with it. I'm not really leaning into it very much, but just that little bit of pressure is effective at taking the strain off my hip flexors.

After one longer ride I couldn't stand looking through the tall police windshield any longer, so I took it off and put the stocker back on. Also much better.

Looks like everyone else's Road King now :D

Jury is still out on the seat. Biggest issue is I feel like I'm kinda sitting on my tailbone. It's not immediately uncomfortable, and the foam in this seat seems to have just the right amount of give, but I wish it were an inch, inch and a half taller in the bucket area. Like I said, LePera has a new "tall" version of their Daddy Long Legs that I might give a try. But I'll keep this on for a bit and try to put in some multi hour rides (and bring my Airhawk...just in case).
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had the heated version of the Sundowner, called the Sun Ray. Put about 60,000 miles on it and it was still in great shape when I sold the bike. It was Ironbutt comfortable and the heat was great in colder weather.

[​IMG]
    marshrat and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  16. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing I've never understood about H-D touring seats is why the front edge "tongue" of the seat has to go up on the gas tank.
    What purpose is that supposed to serve? The cop solo seat doesn't do that.
  17. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It covers up the hardware and wiring that exits from underneath the dash panel.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the LePera is going to have to come off the bike and go to the classifieds. I did about 100 miles on it today and it was really bothering me. The seat is fine, as is the foam and structure, but it's too low for me. With my knees above my hips, I'm sitting on my tailbone, and no seat in the world can make that feel good. I was desperate to get off the bike after an hour, and in real pain by the time I got home.
    Pabst likes this.
  19. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ….."With my knees above my hips, I'm sitting on my tailbone, and no seat in the world can make that feel good. I was desperate to get off the bike after an hour, and in real pain by the time I got home."

Probably shouldn't include that in the ad.:lol3
  20. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean, sure, I think it's less the seat than the way I sit on it. The shape seems really good, actually, and for the first part of the ride it felt good. And then it didn't. And it just went downhill from there.

I can't tell that there's anything actually pressing on my tailbone specifically, like I've felt with other seats. Hell, even the back edge of the police seat does that if I sit too far back. It's just geometry of how I'm sitting on the bike.

If the police seat were a couple inches rearward I think that would be perfect for me. Might have to find a local fabricator...