Road King Seats

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, May 4, 2019.

1. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'sorry to hear the Daddy Long Legs didn't work for you. There is no 'right' seat, only the one that's right for you. It's a bit like pants: even the same inseam and waist size can yield some very different results when it comes to fit. Unfortunately it's hard to know that without trying them. To their credit most large Harley dealers do have loaners which can make trying multiple seats easier. For me tho, that never quite worked. After maybe 75-100,000 touring miles on King's tho I sort of know what to look for (for me). I feel your pain tho. While I've managed so solve the seat thing, with a pumpkin head (3xl, if I'm lucky) and clown shoes (5 wide, at least) finding other kit is always an adventure....
    Hammerdown77 likes this.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

I take it the road king police seat isn’t adjustable like the dyna and fxr version? With those you can move the seat father back with some simple adjustments. Not by inches, but noticeable
  4. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, not that I can tell. I've seen folks weld up different brackets on the front and drill new holes for the back mount, but that's beyond my skillset. Apart from the hole drilling, I can do that.

Seems like there would have been a market to modify or make a new mounting bracket for those seats that allows taller/shorter riders to position the seat where it's best for them. One website used to sell a bracket that lowered it for shorter riders (e-glide goodies I think?) but that's discontinued. The bracket looks pretty easy to make/modify, just looks like bar stock steel with a couple of welds and bends.

Even better would be something like you describe, where you could slide it fore and aft on slotted holes or rails. Kinda like a saddle on a bicycle.
    johnwesley likes this.
  5. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I sold the bike I had a Corbin solo seat with backrest on the 2017 CVO streetglide. Great seat. Built like a tank, but not cheap. That said it was a 700 mile day seat without issue for my rear end.
    Hammerdown77 likes this.
  6. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I have a 2020 Road King with 50 miles on it and looking for a better seat. I have a Corbin on my GSA and can routinely do 600-1000 mile days. I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam. I would like something which might move me forward about 3/4 of an inch so I can reach the bars better. I would love to hear suggestions.
  7. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Corbin back rest can scoot you up that far I think. When upright it makes you sit tall and straight. Picture Robert Blake in Electraglide in Blue....before the final scene.
  8. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley make a 'Reach' seat which is designed to do just that. I'd start there, particularly if you can find a dealer with a loaner seat you can try.
  9. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With your height and inseam, I don't know that a reach seat would be your best option if you're just looking to get closer to the bars. The reach seat will likely make you feel cramped in the legs and like you're sitting on the tank.

Can you roll your bars back a bit? Even rotating them back just a little can result in several inches more pullback, due to the geometry.

You can pop the black plastic "Road King" emblem plate off the top of the chrome bar cover to access the rear bolts of the clamps. 1/4" allen, you may need a ball end allen if the angle isn't quite right with the access slots. Loosen those bolts up, rotate the bars back a bit to where it feels good, tighten the bolts to 16 lb-ft.
  10. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aaaand we're back to the police seat. I'm getting fast at changing this thing out.

0329201808.jpg
  11. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will try and adjust the handlebars. All my tools are metric for the BMW or Japanese bikes I have owned so I need to pick up some standard size for working on the Harley.
  12. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harley dealers have loaner seats so you can try each and find the best for you.
  13. TOzman

TOzman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about this seat - how does it sit in relation to stock? Is the foam denser than stock? Does it accept the stock driver's backrest?

Thanks.
    moe.ron likes this.
  14. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    My only Harley was a 2002 Road Glide that I put a Corbin solo seat on. Really liked that seat and thinking about adding a Road King Custom to the garage—and would do the Corbin again.

[​IMG]
  15. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Wider and more supportive than stock, yes, and yes.
    Laconic likes this.
  16. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Sold, I'm trying one.
  17. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    be sure to report back, ideally with pictures.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m the same dimensions and a backrest helps a lot. I feel like the grips need to be one inch closer to me but I like the angles as it is. I am afraid the Reach bars would be too close but I’m going to talk to my parts guy about it.

I am going to try a demo seat because I want to be 1.5 inches taller and one inch forward.

Otherwise, as a lite weight at 165 lbs - the stock seat itself feels fine with regard to shape and padding.
  19. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    son-of-a-bitch, I've owned two Kings now with maybe a hundred thousand miles between them and I never knew that. When I looked at the shop manual it always seemed like you had to take the hiawatha nacelle apart which seemed like a lot of work just to wiggle the bars a bit. I am for damn sure going to play with that now.

Two other things as it relates to a Road King Seats:

1. these bikes are all about unencumbered long distance travel, getting the right seat can make a big difference on that

2. as one of the longest running and most popular touring bikes made, there are a lot of options, perhaps more than for any bike currently made. Thus if you haven't found a seat that works for you, odds are, your just not trying hard enough...:)
  20. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now I feel old. I bought one of the first Road Kings ever delivered. Had a little heads up from Milwaukee that it was coming...about a year in advance.