Road King Seats

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, May 4, 2019.

1. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    $225 or something like that. Just priced everything to do the conversion, looked like $700 - $750 to get all the parts.

I had a RDL on my V-Strom that was incredibly comfortable. I was thinking about it today as the hot spots developed on my ass.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year's yer bike? I have a seat bracket for the '13 and earlier police solo. Came with the seat I bought for my '20 RK.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found a few complete sets on the big auction site for about $300
    Laconic likes this.
  4. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    '21
  5. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    The older seat bracket will work on the newer shock by just drilling two holes. When you install the shock put some chalk on the top of the bolts, let the bracket rest there to mark the location. Drill the two holes and you are good to go.
    Laconic likes this.
  6. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I changed my older 2 piece out and got a Mustang seat. Had it for 10 years now, they use a high density foam, great seat
  7. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    With seats, what works for one might not work for another. I’ve got a ‘20 King running a factory custom Mustang Super Touring Solo, purchased slightly used from a different forum’s for-sale section. It came with the pillion and both rider and driver backrests. I’m using it as a solo seat, and will add the other pieces for multi-day touring along with a sissy-bar bag. The modification lowered the seat a little…firmer foam, too. It also has a stitched diamond pattern which matches my bike’s Stonewashed Pearl White.

I took a little chance…it cost me well less than half of retail. Happily, it worked. In a few weeks, I’m picking up a slightly used Corbin solo in Bomber Jacket Gray along with a solo rear fender rack, both from a fellow inmate and also well under retail. Deals are out there. I’ll have it nicely covered. If the Corbin is anything like as comfortable as the one I had on my ‘99 RK, I might spring for the pillion and backrest pad… DCBCBD71-1B0B-4A5C-9E16-6D65983DDA16.jpeg
    Laconic, villageidiot and Kevm like this.
  8. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to have to pay retail for all the police seat components, I'd just get Russell to build you something.

eBay and local dealers that sell/trade/lease police bikes is the best source for these. Dealers usually take the police seat off the bike and put a 2-up seat on it when they are trying to sell it to the general public. Then they have it sitting around in the shop taking up space, and it either goes out on eBay, or to one of the employees. This is the best way to get a brand new takeoff seat and components.
    Laconic and villageidiot like this.
  9. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's a dealer in High Point that deals with the PD a lot, I'm going to give them a buzz. I'd really like to demo one for a day.

RDL still might be my ultimate decision.
  10. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Anybody got a seat or pan that would fit my '21 they want to get rid of, cheap?
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    im not sure where you are geographically, but my local Craigslist usually has seats listed ~$100. It’s what I paid for a take off road glide seat.
    Laconic likes this.
  12. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Missed this, but I don't think the older seat frame will work on the newer bikes due to the different front mounting bracket design. The nose of the seat frame is shaped differently, with a different bend, and longer, to accommodate the older front bracket geometry (and pre '08 frame design). The older seat frame CAN be made to work with a new rear shock, but that would be on a bike with the older frame.

I think.

EDIT: Correct terminology
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah that's why I have an older bracket sitting in the shed. Won't fit my '20 RK.
  14. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Good idea.

How far back can I go, 2014 or 2017?
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I believe 2010
    Laconic likes this.
  16. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Laconic, I have the stock seat from my 2020 Road King I would be happy to get rid of. I replaced it with a hammock seat from Harley and don't see it going back on the bike. It is located just outside St Louis. I am at the BMW rally and will be back in STL about 8 July. See PM.
    Cogswell, Laconic and villageidiot like this.