Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & daytrippin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    index:

VOID Rally- Columbus Day 2015
    part 1: pregame, decisions, early prep and wondering what the hell is going on starts here.

part B: First Rally Pack, Routing, and still wondering what the hell is going on is HERE

part 7: Sign-in, dinner, and the Rider's meeting and still wondering what the hell is going on: HERE

part IV: Rally time, and still wondering what the hell is going on. HERE

part 9: Scoring and the Banquet, and now wondering what the hell just happened. HERE

2016 TEAM LYLE NEW ENGLAND - AUGUST 13 2016

2016 VOID :bluduh

2017 Iron Butt Rally commentary and tomfoolishness

2017 VOID and NIIT WIt prep

2017 VOID Ride Report, Sept 16 2017

During this year's IBR, I told my wife the story of a guy whose bike broke early in the rally. An IBR vet jumped in and gave him his fully prepped FJR. The rider finished.

Jane said "That's something you would do. You need to go ride with these people."

[​IMG]

There's a lot of reasons why I entered the VOID rally. But like most motorcycle stuff I do with others, the vast majority of it is about the people.

Anyway, this thread is going to be about my experience as a first time rally n00b- starting with the decision to ride, the stuff I figured I'd better learn along the way, my experiences in learning, and finally my result.

Kindly note that this is my first road rally, I don't even have an IBA number, and I'm only running the 10 hour version of the VOID. So, if you're expecting another Neduro to Dakar story I have some bad news for you. Sorry.

oh, and flug? It's not a race :smooch
    gsweave and GAS GUY like this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the report.
  3. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Anti fascist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    #lurkinglikeamofo
    :D
    JLock07 likes this.
  4. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    So what about rally riding appeals to me?

I follow the Dakar every year, and the IBR as well on it's years. The thought of being in my own world for two weeks, nothing to think about except the next checkpoint... I've done a fair amount of SCUBA diving, where after a certain depth you find yourself on another planet... IBR and Dakar are another planet too, a planet of the riders' own making.

My favorite rides are on my way to places where I've never been. New stuff, new roads, new sights. Best thing about having a GPS has been picking a point on the map and setting sail, shortest distance, it's like putting an iPod full of your favorite music on shuffle.

Usually :lol3

[​IMG]

So what's the next step? Letting someone else pick your random points on the map.
    06Klr650 likes this.
  5. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Cool, I've been intrigued by rallying for a couple years.

Went and checked out the finish of the 2011 IBR because it was near me.
  6. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Cat! :wave :raabia

Jax :flip

So about me

I am a 46 year old who's been riding since he was 6. I'm no LD guy, but I've done a lot of 1,000 mile plus days- most of them before I ever heard of the IBA, and a few that I documented and promised myself I would send in to get a license plate but somehow never bothered. Before I ever heard of the IBR or IBA I rode from 05859 to 30305 with a 2 hour nap on a picnic table. Back then, I didn't even have music in my helmet except for the ride itself.

When I go for a ride, it's usually to go meet someone somewhere for a cheeseburger or a rally or a campfire. When I get there I love riding with my buddies, but the best riding to me is that solo ride to a new place.

A rally seems to be a good way to go new places, ride new roads, and meet new people.
    beachz likes this.
  7. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.
  8. bobcat

bobcat recalculating

Oddometer:

:wave
  9. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. entropysedge

entropysedge chaos watcher

Oddometer:
    also :lurk

:D
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    In ... bitten by the bug as well. Looking forward to this
  12. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    Totally in. This is going to be fantastic.
  13. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    In too. I'm fascinated by the IBA, I did a 24 hour ralley in 2010 and I had sooo much fun.

I would like to do more soon.

I remember meeting you on 2014 in Galeton. I had the mandarin r1150,

Greg
  14. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Hey, Greg- pretty sure I have a pic of our bikes side by side. Your 24 hour rally puts you head and shoulders above me. You know, the Void has a State College start for one of the 24 hour spider arms- I'll buy you a cheeseburger if you come on down :deal

It's a testament to the LD community that I've already received emails and pms from several people who have offered advice and help. Bunch of junkies, desperate to have another addict around :lol3

My goals for this thing are pretty modest, I think:

1) Actually do it (this is probably the toughest one). I need to play a lot of defense at work and elsewhere, and make sure it doesn't get out-prioritized. One of the reasons for this thread is that it will keep me focused, in order to avoid the public ridicule and shame that would go along with a DNS. Likewise, that's why I clicked paypal yesterday- turn it from a "cool but maybe" to a commitment.

2) Have fun. This is probably the easiest one. Great day of riding aside, a quick peek at the registrants' list reveals a bunch of accomplished LD riders and IBR finishers, just sitting around and eavesdropping promises to make for an entertaining weekend.

3) Score a respectable finish. That has nothing to do with the competitive aspect of it- what I mean is that I want to put some honest effort into this, bring some reasonable skills to the table, solve the puzzle well enough to come up with a decent route, execute it well enough to finish, and come away with useful enough experience to do better on the next one. If that means finishing 117th out of 117 riders, I'm totally cool with that.

4) Figure out if I want to do another one. And another. I have no designs on an IBR... but addiction is a funny thing
  15. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Font know what IBR is but I'll subscribe. ;-)
  16. WYO George

WYO George It's not you, it's me.

Oddometer:
    I'm in. I've done long distance rides on appropriate bikes, just this year I've decided to start doing IBA rides on inappropriate bikes :) next week will be a SS1000 on a DR650.

Have fun planning and riding the rally, I'll be cheering for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JLock07 likes this.
  17. raddad

raddad Raddad

Oddometer:
    I dont know what half of thr acronyms he uses mean either. It sound like a long distance rally where riders plot their own course to get from the start to the finish? If so, I want in unless its againsst a bunch of Motocross bikes...tell me more please...

If you can share some links of what youre talking about that would be great.

Look forward to the next edition.
  18. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IBA = Iron Butt Association, http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm?CFID=14074500&CFTOKEN=59926157
    association of long distance riders. Issue certificates for long distance rides, starting with a SS1000, SaddleSore 1000, 1000 miles in 24 hours.

IBR = Iron Butt Rally: invitational rally held every other year, 11,000 + miles in 11 days

I have yet to do a rally, so someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but rallies are generally a timed scavenger hunt, there is no set route. Riders will be given a set amount of time to complete a minimum number of miles, and collect by photographing bonus locations worth various amounts of points along the way
  19. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
  20. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    whoops, sorry y'all... I figured if I knew this stuff then everybody else would too...I'm always amazed when I know someothing other people don't

LD: Long Distance. Yeah we've all done a thousand mile day here and there but LD riders to these all the time. For fun. Or on purpose. I mentioned above that I've ridden from Northern Vermont to Atlanta. I also used to commute from Richmond VA to St. Louis MO. Those are sort-of LD rides but they don't make me an LD rider.

IBA: Iron Butt Association. This is the organization that sanctions a lot of LD events, determines whether your ride qualifies you as an Iron Butt rider, and puts on the IBR every other year.

IBR: Iron Butt Rally. No, flug, it is not a race. I'm planning to show up in October, be given a bunch of bonus locations and point values, figure out a decent route, and go ride for nine and a half hours or so nad hope I don't fuck it up too bad. The Iron Butt Rally is just like that. Except you show up and get your bonus locations the night before the start. Oh, and it runs for 11 days. And you might or might not average a thousand miles a day, but that's the way to bet.

This is the 2013 spotwalla. Think about this much riding in 11 days, solving a puzzle every second of the way.

here: