Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & daytrippin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too soon
  2. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I gotta join IBA one of these days, I never seem to get around to planning a saddlesore.
  3. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't believe you've never done that. Kind of surprising. Use Tour of Honor for routing and do it that way. It's a special cert for it and makes it fairly easy to plan. I've got 3 certs hanging on the wall currently and still waiting on them to finish reviewing my Pressed Penny Challenge submission and that will be number 4. Just started doing the National Parks Tour on Saturday. Got 2 stamps for that in 2 states. Only 48 more stamps and 23 more states to go.......
    Boondoggle likes this.
  4. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    I know, I’m bad :lol3

I did a couple planned rides and never bothered sending the paperwork. day one of the 2017 Niitwit I was like “crap, I just rode 960 miles, shoulda planned that better and got signatures”

I’m probably going to do one in May after RnR, though. A buddy is opening a food truck in Asheville, add a couple off-route TOH stops and it’s an easy lunch run from here.
  5. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm off to hit some TOH sites Saturday too but mine will include Boston. I'd wager your ride will be better :lol3
    Boondoggle likes this.
  6. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So who's riding in RnR this year?

Wish we could make it but daughter's college graduation takes priority this year. We did register for the MD 20-20 so looking forward to riding a different part of the country. We are also signed up for TOH so will hopefully get to some of those in a week or two.

Don't feel bad Boondoggle, I've never done a Saddlesore either, I've done the miles (barely) a a few times but nothing official. To be honest, I don't really like riding long distances. :lol3 Rally's make it a lot easier as it gives us little goals as we ride so I may incorporate one in the TOH this year
    Boondoggle likes this.
  7. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    RnR Ohio starter here, need to get some saddle time in but I’m otherwise ready.
  8. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2-up Ohio starter here. Its funny how much faster the miles click off during a rally when you have a ton of things to keep your mind going.
    Boondoggle likes this.
  9. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
  10. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - Ohio RnR start will be quite the party and I can't wait. I hope to get in pretty early so I can relax, then obsess about my route after dinner and get as little sleep as possible :lol3
    kendoo and Boondoggle like this.
  11. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like second guessing your route at 3 AM :lol3
    Boondoggle likes this.
  12. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    I did a quick little TOH ride this morning, but planned it "on the clock" like a rally- 6am wheels-up, 30 minutes at the Waffle House, should hit point X by 9am, etc. The miles flew by, especially after the first few hours, just like a rally. I was actually a little sad when I got home on time, but then I popped a beer and I'm better now. 350 relaxed miles with two sit-down meals, feels like I never left the couch.

point being, I'll probably stick a saddlesore onto the schedule right after RNR, the TOH seems to give the ride that feeling of "flow" that makes rallying so much fun.

I see a lot of oil and tire changes in my future
    Patch and markar like this.
  13. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did a TOH ride today too. Our first TOH and I'm sure glad we signed up, saw some new places and it's good rally practice. It's also good opportunity for us to see how Garmin timing matches up with how long it actually takes us from point to point.

A little bummed that we will miss RnR but the MD 20-20 should be fun. We'll definitely be out of our comfort zone in the Eastern US!
  14. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got out today for our TOH start hitting 4 memorials, 4 National Park sites for that IBA ride and one of the FB RTE locations all in 384 miles and 10 hours. Got home and tore bike down for a valve check in the morning.
  15. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a TOH run Saturday as a 'really prep' ride too. Just over 400 miles and I was pretty close to my budgeted time. I find that TOH sites take a lot more time than a normal rally, and that gives me good insight about how much I can bite off when rally route planning.
    Boondoggle likes this.
  16. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Boondoggle, markar and Patch like this.
  17. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good job! Makes me realize even more how much of a wimp I am. :lol3
    Boondoggle likes this.
  18. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, thanks.

We lived in presque isle for a while when I was a kid, and we were at that balloon launch. I might have to head on up and get that one

I need more time, dammit
  19. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    RnR you should’ve got an email from the RM last night