Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & daytrippin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BasicJim

BasicJim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am living in the sweet spot for SoC! I could finish without leaving the state for sure!

Will avoid automotive GPS units. Thanks!

Jim
  2. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I just signed up for the State of Confusion Grand Tour after learning about it in this thread. Right now I’m waiting on my towel so I can start collecting points.

In the meantime, I’ve been mapping locations. It seems that I live in a target rich environment (Centerburg OH), I have calculated that I could finish with a 345 mile ride. I plan to get more points than just the minimum to finish. It should be fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I doubt I would have known about it except for this thread
    Boondoggle, BasicJim and Patch like this.
  3. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tallied up my points so far and I've already got enough for finisher's status. What would be the fun in stopping so early though? I think it's awesome that this thread had lead to more people signing up and participating! These events from Team Strange and Tour of Honor are great excuses to go see areas you might otherwise never visit. I've found some pretty good places to eat while exploring these sites too.
    BasicJim likes this.
  4. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ... and combined with the RTE across the USA gpx stops you'll never go hungry :dukegirl
    BkerChuck likes this.
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    That is awesome! You're down by Columbus, so you're in striking distance of so many points!

Is this your first rally?

Jim
  6. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Quick question...

My flag for States of Confusion has four grommets in it. One in each corner.

What is best practice for getting the flag in the photos? Wire? Bungee cords?
  7. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use one of those clothes hangars with the clippy things for trousers, with something clipped to the bottom as a counterweight

[​IMG]

Love the direction this thread is taking, makes me really glad I started it.

I'm gonna take a few days offline and go find a campfire to sit by, y'all stay out of trouble until I get back
    Patch and BasicJim like this.
  8. MikeH Adv

MikeH Adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used the grommets to attach the flag to my bike via a length nylon cord. This way if I forgot to put it away it'll just wave in the breeze until the next stop. I'll use $0.99 clamps to hold it in place or I'll lay it on my seat. All depends on how the bike is parked and what needs to be taken a picture of.
    As far as gps, I've used many. My primary is a Zumo 665. It struggles with routing in big cities (prefers side streets to freeway) but otherwise does okay. I have older streetpilot 2720s as well. Love these guys as you can zoom out and still see all your point locations on the map. Maps routing on the fly possible. They also do a good job with routing but its more difficult to update maps considering small hard drive size. Mine only have lower 48 loaded. I've used a 478 in the past but its menu & basic operation is so different than everything else I struggled with it. I'll use my phone/waze in larger cities but for most part stick with the garmins for ease of use.
    BasicJim likes this.
  9. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I have some cheap plastic clothespins that I use to secure my flag to my windscreen most of the time. In many events your bike must be in the picture so this makes it easy to have bike and flag. Depending on parking situation I may open my top box and gently shut it on the top edge of my flag and take the pic that way. I've even tucked the edge into my tank bag or put my gloves on the edge on my tank-bag to hold it. A couple of small or medium binder clips are helpful to hold the bottom steady if it's windy out.

I have a variety of old flags hanging up in my garage.
    BasicJim likes this.
  10. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    That is a GREAT idea, Chuck! Pics!!
  11. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Me too, but I still feel terrible for selfishly hijacking your thread!

I want to hear more Rally Ride Reports!

Like, what's the toughest bonus you ever got and was it worth it? (That's a question for all of you!)
  12. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I did the Horizons Unlimited Mountain Madness in WV last year. It’s more off pavement oriented, but I suspect involved a lot of the same skills as the road rallies, including navigation, time management and etc. For that event, a minimum 2 bike team was required so that you didn’t get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no help.

I really had a great time. My teammate knew the area well and is a great navigator so I’m not sure I added much, but we did well for our first time out.
  13. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Toughest bonus? That's an easy one for me. Mason Dixon 20/20 rally of 2015 I believe. I'm on my FJR and my ex g/f is on a Harley FXD Superglide. We're heading for Driftwood, PA for a picture of the "buckskinner" statue and we've been riding down the Quehanna Highway which really isn't a highway at all but a nice 2 lane road past a boy's reformatory camp and a lot of state game lands and hunting cabins. Garmin is showing about 10 more miles until we turn tight. About 4 miles later it "recalculates" and tells us to turn right onto Hoover Road and our ETA drops a couple of minutes. Approaching Hoover Road we turn and it's an unpaved road. Now I have unpaved roads set as an avoidance so I'm curious what we're doing here. Hoping it turns into hard pack or pavement we slowly continue. Within just a couple of hundred yards it turns into a muddy goat path and there's no way we can turn around. Turning around would have required parking one bike while one rider assisted the other and it was so wet, slimy, and muddy neither bike would have stayed upright had we parked. Hoping it got better we continued slowly moving forward. A group of 4 wheelers passed us going the other way and started laughing. Later a couple of dirt bikes pass us. This goes on for a painful 8 miles and almost a full hour sweating, cursing, and ready to throw the damned Garmin into the woods. A rider on a dual sport stops and asks if we're lost. "No, the Garmin is telling us right where we are." Explaining where we're going he informs us that had we skipped that right turn and continued about 2 more miles we'd have hit the paved road we can see about half a mile ahead of us through the trees.

We lost so much time we later cut short our rest bonus to try and make up time lost on one lousy road. At the end of the rally when we told the Rally Master what had happened he was shocked. He knew the road and couldn't fathom taking a Harley and a FJR on it.
    BasicJim likes this.
  14. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Holy crap!! What a way to have your whole game plan thrown out the window!!

I am guessing it wasn't like that one was worth a lot of points anyway, right?!?

Did that lead to a change in the way you do your routing or did it just make you think about 70/30 tires for the FJR?!?
  15. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I still do my routing pretty much the same way I always have. Only change I've made is that if I'm rolling along with directions to turn in a certain number of miles and a reasonable ETA and Garmin suddenly "recalculates" I will now pull over close to the "new" turn location and try to zoom out on my GPS screen to get a look at the revised picture and decide if it's worth the risk. Generally I'll stick to my original plan.

Believe me there are a LOT of things that can throw your game plan out the window! The key is to remain calm, reevaluate your plan, consider your alternatives, then execute your new plan. The whole point of these rallies at least for me, is to have fun. If it's not fun why do it? I've been fortunate enough so far to not DNF in any of the events I've entered. I may not have finished as well as I would have liked but I finished. I've even finished better on a revised plan than I would have finished with my original route. If nothing else, stories like my Hoover Road trip lead to great memories and tales to be told at the banquet although during the time you're dealing with them they aren't so much fun. Adventure is adversity tempered by time.
    BasicJim likes this.
  16. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Hahaha... :jack

Decided to head out at lunch and try my hand at getting my first bonus! I wanted to get an idea of how long it was going to take me and if there was anything I hadn't thought of....

I work near Oregon, OH so that is perfect! I did a quick survey with Google Street view and liked the look of the fire Dept. I also marked the location of the Municipal Office Complex as a Plan B.

On the ride there I saw a great "Welcome To Oregon" sign, so I pulled over to take a few pics. The grass was SUPER soft and I was worried about the bike falling over. I need to get one of those kickstand foot things!

[​IMG]

The wind was sure making life difficult. I ended up getting my simple photo, then went on to the fire department.

The wind there was a cross wind and I quickly realized that I need to get a better plan! The flag kept blowing off the bike, turning around, and generally not cooperating!!

[​IMG]

That being said, I DID GET MY PICS and I learned a lesson about Ohio wind and flags. I can't say that my first rally stop ever was a huge success, but I think it still counts for points!

I was just laughing at how I thought it would be cake and there I was chasing my flag across the parking lot of the Fire Station and could imagine everyone in here who has done a rally before watching me and just shaking their heads and laughing.

I am on the board with 25 pts! :clap

Jim
    Patch, Boondoggle and BkerChuck like this.
  17. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    BasicJim, Nice start! Obviously you've already seen how the wind can mess with you! Make sure the number on your flag is plainly visible in all of your photos. It's a good idea to get in the habit of always checking you pictures before leaving a bonus location. Finding out after the fact that a vital element the judges are looking for is missing. Carry a copy of the rules with you so you can make sure of EXACTLY what is accepted and they are looking for. Personally, I'm a fan of post offices as it removes any doubt of where you were. Additionally in some of the small towns they are a great source of local info like the good eating spots.
  18. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Right! And I didn't show the 'good' photos here. I made sure I got valid ones with the numbers clearly visible before I left. I have been checking post offices first, but the one for Oregon, OH says "Toledo Ohio, Oregon Branch" which seemed sketchy to me.

I have 2 more "local" spots to do, so I will see if I can get any better with those before I hit the road!

Thanks Chuck!

Jim
  19. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I just hit Buffalo Ohio and WV last Friday when i was in Marietta for a FJR meet. Lots of targets in your state. I did the Love & Merci tour 2 years ago and can tell you if the finishers pins for this event are like they were for that one, you're going to end up with a very nice souvenir.

Next thing you know you'll be doing Tour of Honor......or the Void Rally in October..... Be careful there is no 12 step program for this stuff and a lot of addicts to help fuel the addiction!
    BasicJim likes this.
  20. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    NIITWit registration is open on Ridemaster :deal

Oct 23-27, 60, 36, and 12 hour.

Think I’m going to do the 10hr VOID sat 10/12 then go get my NIIT Wit mojo back
    BasicJim and Patch like this.