Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & daytrippin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think i can sneak another long weekend in Oct after the Void but I'll try ...
    Boondoggle likes this.
  2. BasicJim

BasicJim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but I was searching for a *ahem* Father's Day Present for myself and was looking at the Zumos. I am a pretty good dad, but not a GREAT dad, so I was looking at the 396 LMT-s and not the 595 LM.

I looked at Amazon and eBay, then found them on sale super cheap at The GPS Store. They have them for $249.95 with free 2nd day air. I can delete this post if this isn't the right spot to post it, but I thought maybe another Road Rally n00b might need a GPS or a GPS upgrade.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell ... get the 595. Do it for the children.

And if your eyes are acting older than they should be you'll want that screen sze.
    BkerChuck and BasicJim like this.
  4. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here riding in the Mason Dixon 20-20? We plan to head that way next Wed evening if nothing comes up between now and then. Hopefully make a few TOH stops on the way.
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a resource that they love for BaseCamp?

I have watched a few videos and can do a basic route, but I haven't found a video that addresses the kind of route creation involved in a Rally. Do you have any books/websites/forum posts/voodoo spells/Youtube videos/ anything that helped you figure our basecamp?

@Patch You were right, the 396 is pretty damn small!
    Patch likes this.
  6. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. BasicJim

Oddometer:
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are lots of youtube videos for Basecamp instruction.
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Basecamp tutorials from NER (New England Riders) was updated this year for both mac and pc. Garmin directs customers to this tutorial for help so you know its better then whatever they have. Tip - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ... no matter if it covers something you already know. It all helps.

To get to to a 'rally' tutorial is tougher ... I know Tim Masterson has some I'll try to find a link specific to his 'easy-peasy' rally infomercial but his main blog is

https://hardtxrider.blogspot.com

you can dig there .. or search how to rally route (or similar) and it comes up on you tube.
    BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  10. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Patch ! At @schrod's recommendation, I have been doing the NER tutorials. They are REALLY good. I am done with the first and am going to follow on with their "advanced" tutorial.

I'll check out Tim Masterson's site! Thanks for taking the time. I watched quite a few basecamp tutorials on YT and they seem to miss most of the stuff that I think you need to do in a rally, so I appreciate something more targeted!

*edit* Checked out some of Tim Masterson's site. That place is a goldmine. Thanks for the resource! Here was an older but great page on his site.

http://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/2012/08/ride-planning.html

Jim
    Patch likes this.
  11. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill310 has started the official 2019 IBR thread in jo momma. Flug has not made an appearance yet :lol3
    Patch likes this.
  12. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FJRforum.com always has a really good IBR thread. Probably doesn't hurt that Dale Wilson, aka Warchild, is a big contributor over there.