Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think i can sneak another long weekend in Oct after the Void but I'll try ...
    Boondoggle likes this.
  2. BasicJim

BasicJim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but I was searching for a *ahem* Father's Day Present for myself and was looking at the Zumos. I am a pretty good dad, but not a GREAT dad, so I was looking at the 396 LMT-s and not the 595 LM.

I looked at Amazon and eBay, then found them on sale super cheap at The GPS Store. They have them for $249.95 with free 2nd day air. I can delete this post if this isn't the right spot to post it, but I thought maybe another Road Rally n00b might need a GPS or a GPS upgrade.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell ... get the 595. Do it for the children.

And if your eyes are acting older than they should be you'll want that screen sze.
    BkerChuck and BasicJim like this.
  4. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here riding in the Mason Dixon 20-20? We plan to head that way next Wed evening if nothing comes up between now and then. Hopefully make a few TOH stops on the way.
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a resource that they love for BaseCamp?

I have watched a few videos and can do a basic route, but I haven't found a video that addresses the kind of route creation involved in a Rally. Do you have any books/websites/forum posts/voodoo spells/Youtube videos/ anything that helped you figure our basecamp?

@Patch You were right, the 396 is pretty damn small!
    Patch likes this.
  6. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. BasicJim

Oddometer:
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are lots of youtube videos for Basecamp instruction.
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Basecamp tutorials from NER (New England Riders) was updated this year for both mac and pc. Garmin directs customers to this tutorial for help so you know its better then whatever they have. Tip - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ... no matter if it covers something you already know. It all helps.

To get to to a 'rally' tutorial is tougher ... I know Tim Masterson has some I'll try to find a link specific to his 'easy-peasy' rally infomercial but his main blog is

https://hardtxrider.blogspot.com

you can dig there .. or search how to rally route (or similar) and it comes up on you tube.
    BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  10. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Patch ! At @schrod's recommendation, I have been doing the NER tutorials. They are REALLY good. I am done with the first and am going to follow on with their "advanced" tutorial.

I'll check out Tim Masterson's site! Thanks for taking the time. I watched quite a few basecamp tutorials on YT and they seem to miss most of the stuff that I think you need to do in a rally, so I appreciate something more targeted!

*edit* Checked out some of Tim Masterson's site. That place is a goldmine. Thanks for the resource! Here was an older but great page on his site.

http://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/2012/08/ride-planning.html

Jim
    Patch likes this.
  11. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill310 has started the official 2019 IBR thread in jo momma. Flug has not made an appearance yet :lol3
    RFlagg42 and Patch like this.
  12. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FJRforum.com always has a really good IBR thread. Probably doesn't hurt that Dale Wilson, aka Warchild, is a big contributor over there.
  13. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We just finished the Mason Dixon 20-20. Our first time in this rally and our first time riding the area. Finished 21st out of 52 finishers, better than we thought we would do so we were pleased.

Saw some great scenery, rode some great roads and got rained on late last night. Good stuff!

This was our full route.

2019-05-26 12_44_51-SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer.png
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good route @markar ... looking over a lot of spot tracks shows a lot of great roads in PA. Glad you enjoyed it.

I have but 1 more year to get into this dang rally. I already cleared my calendar next year :lol3
  15. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My route looked pretty similar, the combo bonus really dictated the route on this one. It felt odd to see other riders at or near every bonus I went to.
  16. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @schrod , I realize who you are now. you did really well! :clap
  17. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    I have been staring at The Void for a while. Am I man enough to do it? Can I endure even 10 hours? Am I smart enough to not get lost?

I decided weeks ago to use the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend as a test run. I was planning a trip across the state to meet up with some buddies at a Classic Motorcycle Drag race and swap meet anyway, so I figured I'd plan my route hitting SoC stops with a mandatory layover at the swap meet. I also planned on hitting a few Roadside America stops, too.

I planned a route with a 6 am start and 6 stops before my layover then 2 stops after.

As the weekend got closer, the weather forecast turned worse. Saturday the weatherman said it would be raining frogs and hellfire come Sunday. Damn. It's a bust.

As I laid in bed Sunday morning and listened to the rain, I thought, "Heck, I'm not going to MELT or anything! I should just go anyway." But I had abandoned my plans, so I was unprepared.

My GPS held my route and bonus locations I had planned out earlier, but the power adapter hadn't arrived, so I wasn't sure how long I'd have the GPS. I also need to change my route to get me home sooner since I was leaving later. The worst of the storms were supposed to hit after 6 pm so I wanted to be home by then. What the heck?! Even if I didn’t have the best-laid plans, I figured it would still be fun.

I jumped on the V-Strom kitted in rain gear and hit the toll road. It was the quickest way across the state and I was all about efficiency, not scenery. My first stop wasn't a SoC bonus, but the first of two Roadside America attractions.

I embarrassed myself a little by discovering that my EZPass for the toll road won’t read when it’s in my jacket pocket. Even after I got it out, I was too close to the gate to activate it. A nice lady came out to the booth and typed in my tag code and activated the gate for me.

1-toll.jpg

As I am a Veteran and it was the day before Memorial day, I decided to visit a memorial of Smoky, a dog that was also a war hero. I noted the Duck Tape World Headquarters before I made it to Smoky's memorial. (If you haven't checked out Smokys story, you should. Pretty interesting.).

3-Ducktape.jpg

4-smoky.jpg

Then it was off to my first SoC stop, Cleveland State University. An item for note is I did a poor job of Googling locations to find a good picture stop. I found CSU pretty easily but then wasn’t sure where would be a good spot for a photo. I ended up pulling up on a sidewalk and getting a pic in front of a building with the CSU logo on it. I also got a photo in front of the “you are here” map for the campus which shows CSU at the top. One of those two should do it. I took less than 5 min to get the pics, but I may have spent more time than was necessary for finding the right spot to take the photo.

IMG_20190526_124520.jpg

Then I popped the next location in my GPS, Kent State. There was a lot of construction and traffic between CSU and Kent State. One dude in a Lexus SUV was really trying to help me by riding right up on my bumper! Nice of him! I think he was trying to give me a push.

My Cardo decided this was the time to die as my poor planning meant I didn’t charge it up. Next stop, battery pack and cable.

As it was bike week in Sandusky, OH, there were a lot of Harley Riders out. Some of them were wearing DOT approved do-rags, but most were just None of the gear, All of the time! As they were going the same direction as me, I tagged on to the end of their party train for a few miles, then went my own way.

5-bikers.jpg

I made great time and the weather really cleared up. It was beautiful and I was eager to stop to get out of my rain gear, but I didn’t want to stop JUST to change. There would be time at Kent State.

Off the big road and across some back roads with lots of traffic and I made it to Kent State. I hadn’t scoped out Kent State for photo locations either, but they made it super easy for me! I got a great shot, got out of my raingear, put my battery pack in my pocket and connected the cable to the Cardo. Less than 5 min. Time for my next stop, a Roadside America oddity called Big Friend.

IMG_20190526_133826.jpg

Here is where I started screwing everything up. I didn't lay out my route correctly, didn't document it, or whatever. I had gone from CSU to Kent and driven right past Big Friend! Big Friend is a Muffler Men. There used to be over 300 Muffler Men in the US and now there is less than 100. For some reason, these just strike me as cool. They are a remnant of a time before digital billboards, when something unusual could mean a boost in business. I would have to backtrack if I wanted to see Big Friend. I decided I would come see him some other time because I HATE to backtrack!

I sighed and punched in my next stop. There’s a shop in a mall down here that sells my wife’s favorite candy. As I took off before she woke up, I figured a few minutes at the mall would get me some serious points. Well worth the time.

On the way, I saw the damnedest thing. I saw a brightly colored restaurant with an X-Wing fighter parked out front! I HAD to see what this was. The place was called Mike’s Place and it was so quirky I knew I had to stop. Since I missed Big Friend and was starving, I decided to grab a bite.

6-xwing.jpg

Besides the X-wing the place was chocked full of quirky decor and even had a boat. Strange place but super good breakfast. NOT FAST SERVICE, though! I pulled up the weather radar and figured I had time for 2 more stops before I had to haul butt home. I would hit Ontario, OH and Nevada, OH before turning north for home. I put the post office addresses for each into my GPS, asked for my check before my food even arrived, ate quick, and got back on the road.

IMG_20190526_143404.jpg

Up to this point, I had been impressed with the Zumo 396. It and Google Maps had been pretty darn close on eta’s and recommended routes. For some reason, they disagreed now. The Zumo was telling me to stay on this road for 30 miles and then take a right with an ETA of 4 pm. Google Maps was saying take a different interstate in 2 miles and ETA was 4:31. I decided to go with the Zumo because, hey, who doesn’t want to get there faster, right?

I kept going and thinking that something wasn't right. They had agreed so closely up to this point, why the major disagreement now? I was getting low on fuel and so I elected to stop and fuel and check my routing.

Turns out the last point I put in the Zumo was NOT the next stop. It was the LAST stop. I forgot to tell the Zumo to go to the next stop. Once I did, it wholeheartedly agreed with Google Maps that I was WAY off course and should change routes. New ETA, 4:49. Dang.

I hit Ontario and Nevada with no issues. As I took the photo in Nevada, it began to poor again. I knew I was in it so I put on my rain gear and started for home. The GPS finally died but I was proud of the effort it gave with no power!

Riding in the rain, audiobook playing, feeling like a hero even though I screwed most of it up, I started wondering when would be a good time to broach the subject of The Void with the wife.

Attached Files:

18. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Jim! You've got the basic concepts down so the Void would be attainable for you. Doing Soc is great practice and really the bigger rallies are nothing more than stringing together a longer route over a longer period of time. I'm going to try and put together a report from my Memorial Day weekend. G/f and I headed up through the New England states hitting 18 TOH memorials, 12 IBA National Parks sites, 5 SoC post offices and 3 Facebook RTE locations in 1690 miles between Thursday and Monday.
    BasicJim likes this.
  19. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! You make my 'big adventure' look like a spin around the block!

Finish the report! Can't wait to read it!

What are FB RTE locations?

Jim
  20. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Jim, If you're on FB look up RTE-across-USA it's for motorcycle riders and is a list of restaurants and bars in each state to visit. You email the admin and he'll send you some RTE stickers to use in photos you submit to the group to prove you were at the location. Just a pic showing you were there is worth 1 point. A second pic showing any type of interaction, say a food pic, menu pic, or a pic with a staff member is worth an additional point. You may need an invite to join but if needed PM me and I;ll friend request you and invite you in. It's free to play and the guy who started it has arranged for some prizes for each quarter of the year for whoever visited the most places. Be aware you will NOT maintain your figure participating in this event. LOL. We just had some incredible lobster roll in Maine though.

Adventures are best measured in smiles not miles. As long as you had fun it counts! Hoping to meet you at the Void rally if not sooner on the road.
    BasicJim likes this.