Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Good guess, but we never know until we see the rally book
    2. Be ready for anything from downpours in the 30’s to sunny and 95. One thing that sets timed rallies apart from anything else is that the clock is the clock and it doesn’t check the forecasts.
    3. Yes and the hotel does a great job taking care of us

By that time the worst of the summer heat is usually over, but it’s no guarantee. There have been at least a couple times over the last few years that hurricane season has played a part too. I’ll have my electrics and extra rain gear but I’ll have a cooling shirt and extra water too. I rarely leave the house without my winter gloves

New thread title :deal
    Patch likes this.
  2. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for hijacking your thread!
    Boondoggle likes this.
  3. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    It’s more than welcomed. You wouldn’t believe how much I’ve learned :thumb
    BasicJim likes this.
  4. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tolerance to our thread drift Lance!

1) Rally masters have a nasty habit of red herring type clues prior to the event. The theme might be diners or it might NOT be diners. Expect the picture to change a few more times before the event.
    2) Rain during the Void? LOL! I did about 400 miles during Hurricane Matthew once. I think the hotel had to replace some carpet after that year because of all the riders coming in dripping water all over the place. It's also been sweltering hot to the point where I'd chug some water and splash some gas in the bike.
    3) Fredricksburg Hospitality House is probably the nicest rally venue of the events I've done. 10 hours? Come on guys! You got this! Start in PA with a bunch of us and we usually meet up the night before for dinner and swap lies. Gives you a good chance to meet a bunch of experienced riders and often some IBR vets. I've done a few 10 hour events but when the chance is there for me to do the 31 hour option I take it. May be since my first rally was of that variety but I really like the challenge of it. I always max out the rest break anyway so actual ride time is about 23-24 hours. As already offered PM me and I'll be glad to help you out. I'm not podium caliber but solid mid pack and have fun doing it.
    BasicJim, Boondoggle and Patch like this.
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:

Hahaha.... I got away with getting a new GPS... if there is a miracle and I get a new FJR before October, I'll do the 24 hr for sure!

Besides that, I think I need to do some baby steps! I will revel at the tales of your triumphs during the banquet!!
  6. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Patch, BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished a few days reading this entire thread. It was very worthwhile reading. Thanks for keeping it going. Rallies are not in my immediate future but now I have an understanding of what they are and how you do them.
    BasicJim likes this.
  8. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought! Now look at me!!!
  9. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Come on down... down here we all float... :evil
    Patch and BkerChuck like this.
  10. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To the new folks, before we did our first "real" rally, we did one of Hammy's just to see what it was like riding a route, making stops and taking pictures. We didn't get specific locations but categories that you have to find a certain number of. It was a good introduction to what you have to do in a rally. We have also done one of Wolfe Bonham's rallies. Looks like he has one coming up soon that you can do from anywhere. These are a cheap and fun way to introduce yourself to rallies.

https://wolfe35.wixsite.com/lobolocorallies

You can sign up on ridemaster
    LL3 - Lobo Loco Just Sayin Motorcycle Mini Scavenger Hunt
    This is a 10 hour scavenger hunt that you can start/end ANYWHERE in the world, anytime between Friday, June 7 until Sunday, June 9
    Boondoggle likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m certain those of you who participate in rallies get something out of it that you don’t get out of the rest of your life. That’s all well and good. As Boonie said, he gets complete focus and concentration.

First off, I’m not into games. Sports,yes. Games - not so much although I tend to play a fair amount of golf which can be either but my style is closer to game than sport. So scavenger hunts aren’t in my native realm of interest.

Second, that focus thing - I get 9-10 hours of 100% focus five days a week at my job multitasking numerous things at a fast pace. Consequently, when not at work I want to dial back the intensity, amount of details, and get away from all electronics. I have a 1998 Garmin III+ GPS. You could give me a Zumo 396/596 and I’d do my damnedest not to use it. Yea, they’re handy as hell and parts of my III+ are worn smooth from use. But these days I don’t want a screen in front of me when I am not at work. I’ll accept the inconvenience of not knowing exactly where I am or where my next turn is. I lived through the 70’s and 80’s - that was normal back then.

If those things weren’t enough, I enjoy spending time at destinations appreciating where I am.

I’m glad all of you enjoy rallying and share your experiences with the rest of us. But, a man’s got to know his limitations.
  12. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Good Man! nosce te ipsum.

I guess we all get something out of riding we don't get out of the rest of our lives! Glad you enjoyed these guys writing like I do!
  13. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode the Minnesota 1K put on by Team Strange this past weekend that started in Lakeville, MN. My first rally without my wife with me so had to handle the flag myself. No lost flag and one lost glove, I consider that a win. :lol3

Also my first rally using a real camera instead of a phone and emailing your bonus submissions. As you can tell from that, I got a late introduction to this rally thing.

Finished 12th, had a couple of mistakes that cost me a few spots but I'm sure that's the case for everybody so it's a wash. Lots of cemeteries that were real time sinks in the dark which I didn't really account for in my schedule. Like most rallies for me, when it's in places I haven't ridden before, I somewhat plan my route as a "tourist" so I saw some new places and rode some great roads.

MN1K.png
    Boondoggle, Patch, BasicJim and 2 others like this.
  14. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Rally question....

What would you guesstimate the average ride time between boni? I imagine it varies greatly between Rally's, but is it more typical to be 1 hour or 3 hours between bonus stops?
  15. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    That's a question with so many variables it's almost impossible to answer. When you consider that each rider chooses their own route each rider will give a different answer. I think on almost every rally I've ridden in, about 15 so far counting 8-10 hour events, there is normally at least one bonus within an hour of the start location. Once past that point they can spread out depending upon your choice of routes or possible combo bonuses. Personally I like to have a stop every couple of hours but i know riders who have gone 4 or more hours to get to a more target rich area bypassing smaller bonuses they saw as unworthy of their time. I've spoken to some IBR finishers and heard stories of riding almost an entire day without a bonus stop to get to a cluster of bonuses.

If I had to generalize I think the 31 hour variants you can put together a decent route without ever riding more that 3 hours between stops.
    BasicJim likes this.
  16. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Yeah.. I figured there would be a huge variation, but was thinking of what the usual time would be on the bike without a break to stretch. Thanks @BkerChuck !
  17. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    On the other hand they can be stacked right on top of each other too. In the RnR there were three in Memphis that I hit in a total of about 20 minutes, plus 2 in Tupelo in the same park :lol3
  18. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    In the 2013 IBR, I had 817 miles between two bonuses, and then later in the rally 1,033 miles between bonuses.
    Boondoggle likes this.
  19. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Ugh! That's almost 4 fuel stops for me!!
  20. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Heading off to BYOB in the am, no cell no WiFi. Glad for the time away but I’m gonna HATE missing the IBR updates, arrgh
    Patch and BasicJim like this.