Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    so no Maine for me

But good news for my fellow n00bs:

Lynne Carey, the RM of the Rock n Ride, is hosting a 10-hour mini-rally on 9/14. If you're lucky, you might even be able to start from home (we won't know until we see the bonuses and whether there is a minimum to become a finisher- but don't let that stop you).

I only met Lynne at the end of the RnR, but you get the strong impression that she considers rally-riders to be like family. Next year's RnR Im going to start with the local group just so I can hang out and chat with her more.

details:

Tennessee Twister is coming! This fun filled mini 10 hour rally will be held Saturday, September 14th. Riders will start anywhere OUTSIDE of the state of Tennessee and finish in Crossville, TN. Bonus locations will be scattered throughout eastern KY, TN, western NC, VA, WV and North GA. The hope is to let you enjoy a fall day chasing bonuses on twisty back roads instead of slabbing in on interstates. Registration is $75 for singles and $85 for two ups. There will be a no host dinner at a local restaurant after the rally. Photos will be submitted by email and scored as you ride. Registration is now open at https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=659

I have like 3 things on the calendar for that weekend already but I think this one might win out.
    Patch and LadyDraco like this.
  2. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the Rock n Ride, my ride report is suffering from a terminal case of the fuckits. Sorry.

But if you want to see what a RR should look like, I highly recommend Steve Gallant's IBR report. He manages to capture a lot of the things about rallying that I've tried and failed to put into words. Steve is a great guy and a real live machine- he has a knack for being unfazed by tribulations and just powering through, cheerfully. In the RnR he stretched it a bit, ran out of gas on the side of the interstate, and still finished 3rd i think. As a rookie in this years IBR, he managed to come in... well, I'll let you read it yourself

here: http://swervenortheast.us/
    RFlagg42 and Patch like this.
  3. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone here riding How the West was Won rally? We plan to arrive sometime Friday morning if everything goes as planned.
  4. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Should be coming in late Thurs. Got my placard made and some Butler maps. Been a while since I've ridden out west and really looking forward to it.
    markar likes this.
  5. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have a little farther to go than we do! We just have to make it across Kansas :lol3
    Boondoggle likes this.
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Me too.
    Boondoggle likes this.
  7. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boondoggle likes this.
  8. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ride reports coming for a 3 day Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail ride as well as my first IBA ride, a Mufflerman Saddlesore 1000 which I completed on July 13th. ( I know... super slow to get the ride report out.)

They didn't kill me, but made me stronger (or dumber) so this just happened....

void 14.jpg

I am not sure if I should be thanking everyone on this thread or cursing them!
    Patch and Boondoggle like this.
  9. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Right on!

I’m doing the 10 hour, we’ll see you in fredericksburg Saturday night
    BasicJim likes this.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't blame us, you're a big boy! Will see you Thursday night in Bethlehem for dinner as I'll be signing up shortly.
    BasicJim likes this.
  11. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Hahaha!! It's not like you helped me with my LD routes or anything!!!

I love it and thanks for helping me get started!!
    BkerChuck likes this.
  12. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Just got my confirmation for the Void as well. See you in Bethlehem before the start.
    BasicJim likes this.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Boondoggle likes this.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boondoggle, BasicJim and BkerChuck like this.
  15. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Do it :evil
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a lot of motorcycle riding.
    BasicJim likes this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    :patch

checking my email every 2 minutes :lol3
    Boondoggle likes this.
  18. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    I didn’t put in for it, I’ll be lucky if I do the few weekend rallies I’m signed up for this year

Good luck to you, man
    Patch likes this.
  19. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Any pre-work with traffic?

Do you put any time into looking at what roads in the rally area are under construction and checking traffic flow at specific times? I was looking at some ride reports ( Chris Comly's 2017 The Void) and he talked about avoiding I-81 and I-95. That got me thinking, when you get your Boni locations, do you do anything as far as researching traffic?

I know Waze has a feature that looks at historical traffic patterns to show you the best time to leave for a given destination, but I don't know if that's workable in route planning.

Any traffic/routing tips?

Jim
  20. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Jim, somewhat I check for known traffic issues. No Waze use here just past experience and a little Google Maps homework. I know I don't really like I-95 very much especially near the NJ-DE bridge and Baltimore has kicked my ass during a couple rallies so I watch my timing if there's any boni there. I try to avoid big cities overall. Philly has eaten up time for me more than once. Personally nothing has yet been big enough points to drag me into NYC but some riders have pulled it off.