Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    A quick peek at google maps while routing in the days before a rally will often show construction areas. I tend to avoid areas I’m used to seeing bad traffic in just because I’m in this for fun and sitting on 95 near DC isn’t what I signed up for.

In RnR this spring one of the two combos meant a bunch of time in downtown Nashville. At dinner we were discussing the fact that the NFL draft had most of Nashville closed and they were expecting 300,000 people for it. There was a lot of “fuuuuu...” at the table among folks who were hearing it for the first time :lol3

But a lot of them went anyway. @kendoo had it figured, though - he took his rest bonus from 6 to midnight Friday night :deal . When you do a few of these you get to see some people who come up with truly brilliant solutions

Then there are dunces like me who never even considered going for both combos. Not that I didn’t think it was doable- I just never even saw it.
    kendoo likes this.
  2. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down! Supporter

Oddometer:
    hmmmm....
    Boondoggle likes this.
  3. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    You would have to use a GPS

Edit: Or we could team up :deal
  4. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife wasn't too thrilled about taking a rest when we were unlikely to be able to sleep....but it all worked out.
  5. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be afraid of staring at the ceiling for 6 hours! Did you actually get sleep?
  6. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to catch a little sleep, she naps on the back of the bike...LOL. I know what you are saying though, its tough to sleep when you feel you HAVE to sleep. It's hard to turn off your brain during a rally.
    BasicJim likes this.
  7. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think on a 6 hour rest bonus I might get 4 hours of actual sleep. Most important thing for me is getting a room so i can hop in and grab a shower to wake up before we leave out again for the second leg of the rally. It takes me most of the first hour to do paperwork, eat something a little larger than just tank bag snacks, and organize receipts and pictures so when I get to the finish I have half of my stuff already completed. Dianne nods off on the back seat for little naps.
    kendoo likes this.
  8. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So just made it back from the HW3 Rally. It was really nice meeting Patch, hope you have a nice trip home!

Our rally can be summed up in a few short sentences. Come up with a somewhat competitive route. Ride said route almost flawlessly. Add up points to come up with 21850, so far so good. Go to the scoring table and throw away most of the points due to one little screw up on recording a bonus code that was critical to our whole rally. :becca End up with 12500 points and went from what would have been a 13th place finish to 34th after riding 1438 miles.

Then we took a nap but managed to set the alarm for 5:15 AM instead of PM and ended up sleeping through the banquet. Son of a ... But we had a good time, rode some great roads and saw some incredible scenery. The part I was dreading, riding 14 across the Rockies at 3 AM ended up being one of the highlights of the trip. Didn't see a single car for 50 miles or so and surprisingly no deer. But elsewhere, we saw moose, a bear, deer, elk and antelope.
    Our route
    Clipboard01.jpg

Before scoring were were feeling as smart as this guy.
    Einstein.jpg

After going from the 21850 that we thought we were going to get to the 12500 official score...
    SCore.jpg

we felt a bit like this poor rock that was missing its plaque.
    rock.jpg
    I think my wife and I rode our best rally so far, just need to double and triple check the bonus sheet next time.:lol3
    kendoo, Patch and Boondoggle like this.
  9. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Sending bonuses via cellphone is great, but you kind of miss out on that “oh boy, here we go” feeling that comes with dropping your memory card into the envelope and sealing it

Sounds like a great time was had by all. See you at NiitWit?
  10. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, we should be there unless something unexpected comes up.

Hard to believe but this is the first time we've lost points. but when we do, we go big.:lol3
    BkerChuck and Boondoggle like this.
  11. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    @markar that was a great route you rode!! I was feeling really pressed to keep those 2 O's north-west of Denver (one being RMNP) and those 2 would have netted me 2 much bigger combos. Dropping them was tough and I ended up riding into the finish almost 1.5 hrs early so there was likely time for at least one of them, but arguing with Garmins ETA and my time crunching before the rally wasn't where I wanted to be so I stuck to interstate to ensure I finished without being time-barred.

Turns out all my east coast experiences fooled me ... you can make up considerable time out west not just due to speed limits, but the sincere lack of traffic, interchanges, towns, & people for huge mile stretches .. and I was usually well ahead of Garmins timing where here I find I am usually dead-on. Live and learn.

It was an awesome ride glad my wife and I and got to meet you and the Mrs

I just got back last night, back to work today but I'll post up a write up on the iron butt thread likely in a day or 2.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim for me it depends, if you get the rally pack early and can route off the clock (like most 10-32 hr rallys) then I always push a few routes in Basecamp till I am happy, then I hit google searches for almost every stop. I look at all street views, look for sidewalks or where I can park easily to grab and go as well as anything in the area that might be a concern so I have an idea of where I need to be to get that bonus. Not always doable in every case but I find it really helps to keep from circling a bonus or walking further than needed.

For this recent HW3 I did look at all the bonus stops to see what i might be looking for as well as to ensure all had easy access and easy stopping. I also like to see that all are paved (as many of these roads were closed in winter) This is usually listed in the rally pack as well but I still like the view from google as there are sometimes easier ways in/out than the actual 'garmin' route.

As for construction, I don;t usually worry about it. As @Boondoggle said above, the Nashville thing for RnR was a challenge so i simply avoided it. Knowing I wouldn't finish on the podium as a result. Sometimes there are unique solutions, as @kendoo did, but not only do you have to "see" it as an option then you have to ride it :lol3
    kendoo and Boondoggle like this.
  13. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you made it back home and had an awesome trip! Great meeting you and your wife and @lakota. Didn't match up his ADV name with the person till just now.

I was seriously not looking forward to riding across the Rockies at night, I agonized over that during the day before we even stopped for our rest bonus. Fortunately, the speed limit was only 40 and often 35 on Hwy 14 so we managed to not lose much if any time off our schedule. For some reason, I was expecting to see deer around every bend but it was just rock walls to hit and rivers to run off into.:rofl

At least you kept your points :lol3 As disappointing as it was at the time to lose all those points, we got over it pretty quickly and it didn't take away from the incredible riding we did and things we saw
    kendoo and Boondoggle like this.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was really gonna try to work grand lake in, but losing 1/2 of my aux lighting (and I'm woefully under-lit to begin with) on the trip out west decided most of my re-routing. There were places I simply did not want to be over night with poor lighting and my aging eyes.
  15. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Search is coming up dry... :scratch

Any discussion in this thread about the Big Money Rally (BMR)? Looks like the 2020 version starts 1-Jan this year.

I may need to ante up and thoroughly embarrass myself in front of everyone else.... :lol3
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reno John puts on a great rally - I've been in the last 4 and have always had a good time. Great camaraderie on the website too. I enjoy it and have to remember to always have my placard in the tank bag cuz you never know when you might stumble on a word or picture match bonus!

Only downside is its a bit $$ but it is easy to become a finisher. I'm glad to see its back on the 1/1 start. At the dinner this summer that was the largest bit of feedback he got (after changing it to Feb in order to better accommodate northern riders). Was very cool to finally meet the gang as the dinner was at the start of the IBR so I could finally get there.
    kwthom likes this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man - that Tennessee 10hr looks like it'll be a great ride! Have fun @Boondoggle
    Boondoggle likes this.
  18. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Show of hands, how many here are riding the Void Rally?

Starting from PA?
  19. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Cal24 Rally

There's a RR here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-rode-the-cal24-enthusiasts-challenge-last-month.1076537/

about the Cal24 rally. Due to circumstances, the rally hasn't been held since 2016. Their web forum is still alive, but very minimal traffic on it.

On another forum (the IBA forum), a short discussion took place about the history of that event:

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/cal-24-rally-history.3306/

I bring this post from outside of ADV simply for those that might want to do it again...there *could* be interest in doing it again in 2020. :clap
  20. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wave
    BasicJim and BkerChuck like this.