Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go with the points ... looks like almost all of the riding covers some good roads anyway. Too challenging of a road and traffic/weather can really slow you down.

No matter though that looks to be some great riding for this one.
  2. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    My laptop appears to have died :lol3
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Fortunately my bonuses are all loaded into the GPS and I have them in google maps as well, including my near-final route

Hey at least it wasn’t basecamp that let me down

And I won’t have to lug the stupid laptop either.

:becca

Yeah this is going to be some fun riding. Doubt I’ve got a winner but I suspect there will be a bunch of us starting pretty close together
    enduro0125 likes this.
  5. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    spot goes live Friday unless I screw it up. rally will be HERE

it should show up in my public trips in the linky in my sig too. assuming of course that I did not screw it up. Off course. Assuming.

this is working its way toward being another Bona Fide Boonie Production (tm) :flug
    schrod, Patch, BkerChuck and 2 others like this.
  6. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck and be safe!! I'll be watching on Spot!!
    Boondoggle likes this.
  7. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun!! I'll be following along too
    BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  8. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride and good luck!
    BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  9. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck Boondoggle .

Just registered for the void . 10 hr. version just to get my feet wet . Ive never rallied before ,are there any tips you vets can give a noob ?
    At the RTE i will be the one with the confused look on my face still.
    Boondoggle, BkerChuck and BasicJim like this.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so everyone remembers, don't forget to do any Garmin updates right before the rally. LOL.

Good luck Boonie, see you in a couple weeks in Fredricksburg!
    Patch, BasicJim and Boondoggle like this.
  11. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the insanity! The Void will be my first timed rally, so I am not sure I am qualified to pass on any expert advice, however, as a fellow N00b, I can give you this advice... If you have any questions, just ask! I think this LD community has been the most helpful group I have ever run across! Everyone is willing to help out and answer any question you have. I have asked a lot of questions of people here at ADVRider and even emailed a couple IBR finishers and every one have them has been amazing at answering questions and making me feel welcome!

If you haven't, go read the Void Archives. Some are great information, others are just great entertaining!

Again, welcome!!

Jim
    1oldsickle likes this.
  12. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    hey thats great. If you've read this thread, you know everything I know :lol3

have one work thing to deal with then I'm rolling out- so departure sometime between 9 and 3 :fall
    1oldsickle and BasicJim like this.
  13. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Already got your Spot page up on my second monitor! Be safe, Boon!
  14. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Wonder if I can get my work to pop for a second monitor for me? Then I can have forums/SPOT pages on one while I pretend I'm actually working on the other......
  15. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I second this, The Void last year was my first rally longer than 8hrs and reading the ride reports helped me to understand how it all worked, what to expect, and not get completely overwhelmed.

I run three (2x24" & 1x43"), one of them is pretty much dedicated to forums/spotwalla/personal stuff. Once you experience multiple monitors it's hard to go back...
    BasicJim likes this.
  16. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    The thing you get out of ride reports are the little pro tips that you (I) might never think of

Like kendoo taking his rest break at 6pm, or just the way people make certain decisions.

Ie I was always anal about having a plan for where to sleep- but truth is it’s just as good (so far :lol3 ) to scope a location on the fly and use google or whatever to find a room when you get there - less stress about your destination, more flexibility. I learned it from RRs and talking to other riders

Don’t forget to enjoy it, the only pressure on your first rally is to get there safely, have fun, and learn stuff. Rest of it doesn’t matter
  17. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Spot on advice for noobs! Very few people are going to set any records the first time they try something so don't view rallying as any different. These events are a unique opportunity to get to play on the same field as some big dogs in the LD game. Plan a ride that you can complete, Budget time for stops and fuel and even just for getting fatigued on your first try. Arriving safely at the finish is a win regardless of what anyone else ever says. This is supposed to be fun so relax and enjoy yourself. Now that I'm doing this 2-up I t told my g/f "this will be the most fun you've ever had being miserable". I prepped her with some Tour of Honor rides first and last year on her first Void Rally experience she loved it. She got tired at times, got a little bored on some long stretches with no bonuses around, and was excited as it all came to the end.

Read the ride reports that people have taken the time to compose and post. Post your own after your first rally and give a little something back to the community. Answer questions when they're asked without being snarky or rude. Ask questions as they come up. No one here has all the answers and you can learn a little bit from everyone else who participates even if what you learn is from their mistakes. Don't be afraid of making those mistakes either! I sincerely doubt any of us on this thread can honestly say we haven't left points on the table or done something just breathtakingly stupid during a rally.
  18. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    @1oldsickle One additional bit of wizdum - especially for a 10 hr - is don't plan too aggressively. Just because it looks doable on he map doesn't mean it is. You mentioned its your 1st (timed?) rally so you might consider timing to be a key objective. Doesn't matter if you're Using garmin or google ... if they say a route is good for 9.5 hours, can you actually ride it in 9.5 hours? Read the rally pack, then reread it. Then re-re-read every bonus you're planning to know what exactly you have to do there. Some are 'easy' but a time suck. Some are hard to park at and some require additional info to properly 'claim' it. In all, stopping, photo-ing and documenting bonus stops during the ride can eat up time that you'd think you have available if you're not focused. After a few rallies you'll get a sense of how much time you need at a stop and can factor that into your overall route planning.

I find 8-10hr rally rides more challenging as you just can't make up time if you fall behind like you can with a 30+ hr one. Usually you get less 'bailout' options as well but that depends on the bonus scatter so I try to have a mid-way point where I can shift routes if I need to.

Lastly ... even if it goes to shit it will still be an adventure and at dinner everyone will hang on your every word as you tell the tale. :lol3

My goal is and always will be: Get back to the barn safely, on time, with some points & lose less than I claim at the scoring table. So far I have been successful

Glad you're joining in the fun - will see you in Fredericksburg!
  19. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Was just watching Boondoggle on the Spotwalla... I usually block my speed... I think I just automatically did that the first time I opened my bubbler gps app.

What's the thought on blocking speed? Does it matter either way? Can you get yourself in trouble with a RM if you happen to accidentally go a little above the posted limit and they see it on Spotwalla?

Is there a benefit either way?
  20. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I never noticed the speed showing up before.

I would likely block it now that I'm aware of it. I would be less concerned about the RM than about my insurance company if stuff ever got sideways. I've heard of some rallymasters sealing your driver's license in an envelope and you have to show up at scoring with it still in that sealed envelope or penalty points can be issued. Never had that yet myself but ?