Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    They don't show up on YOUR tracks. I noticed that before.

Bubbler has an option to have speed on or off.

I noticed plenty of people on Spotwalla have their speed on.
    BkerChuck likes this.
  2. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    +1

10 hour rallies are much more stressful than 3 to 11 day rallies.

Make a reasonable plan. BUT, plan out in advance which bonuses you will drop late in the day if you are behind schedule and which bonuses you might add if you are ahead of schedule. The back half of your route should be built so that you have OPTIONS. If the last 4 hours of riding is a straight beeline to the finish, there is nothing you can do but DNF if something goes wrong.

@1oldsickle feel free to PM me with any questions you have between now and the rally
    1oldsickle likes this.
  3. RFlagg42

Oddometer:
    Excited for the Void. Haven't been able to run the full version for 7 years.

What rally is Lance riding in?
  4. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    TN Twister!
  5. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed Supporter

Oddometer:
    F7A3D700-D44B-4188-89B2-7B4AD096B73E.png Lynne (of Rock n ride fame) sent it out in June via Facebook. 10 hrs, tomorrow, start outside of TN at 0600 CDT, finish in crossville.

She’s put this on Facebook so I don’t mind sharing- lots of nice riding country. I was originally going to try to start in Galax but the timing was too tight. I have a fun and decent-scoring route set up but I doubt it’s a winner
  6. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Whoops,just reread the rally book. Now I know why I’m the only person where I am, ho ho
    BasicJim likes this.
  7. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated to all the info you guys threw out . It is a little overwhelming but you got to start somewhere. My main goal is going to be have fun and try this baby out.
    Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!!
    Currently in Minnesota for TOH thanks again.
    Boondoggle, Patch and BasicJim like this.
  8. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Uh, oh! What's up with that?
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    well now we need to know :lol3 (as he makes his way home currently)

Guessing SC04 start to SC01?
    Boondoggle likes this.
  10. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The good news is that you can think of it as a TOH ride. Plan the stops as efficiently as possible with whatver mapping you used for those rides and then ride it exactly the same way. You could go crazy routing, rerouting and the second guessing. Just like any long or IBA ride. Plan the ride and then ride the plan.

lastly .. Don;t know about you, but for me TOH stops take time. I like to read and look and think. Rally bonuses are not that. Stop, quick photo (of the right thing) with flag and boom you're off to the next one. Thats why I like well-written rally books, it can remind me of the what or why was the 'thing' that I took a photo of :lol3
    1oldsickle, Boondoggle and BasicJim like this.
  11. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Bingo! Reminder to read the rally book carefully

SC01 was a high-point bonus BUT you couldn’t claim it until 9am. Was going to start in gaffney. Ended up rolling out a bit early and heading to the bonuses around Spartanburg, then over to the BRP and deal’s gap.

I never had my shit together on this one anyway and had it planned as a nice ride, avoiding traffic in places like Knoxville (UT game day) and Gatlinburg/pigeon forge. I even half-assed my research on the big bonus, points for the elevation at an overlook sign- I missed it by 1000 feet.

Of course I was crushed to wind up 10th of 11 finishers - “you never worry about scoring until they start reading the scores” - but it was nice to just get out and ride around on the clock.

Ok I wasn’t crushed. Maybe just a little dented though.

I had some great riding though and the small-rally means you get to talk to some new people you’ve seen before but never spoken with, so that was cool. I’d do it again any day

But I’m gonna knuckle down a little bit better for void and Niitwit

Edit: oh, and as for the stuff you learn from reading ride reports: Lynne sends out rally .jpg files, rather than towels. Riders print and laminate and carry them for scoring. My home printer went south, so I figured "hey I can just print it at the hotel". Nope. No business center, no email at that hotel. derp.

BUT, should you ever find yourself in a similar situation- CVS has an app - you can shoot them the jpg and they print it in their photo department for pickup. I used my ipad for the first few bonuses (don't try this at home, it wouldn't have worked in full daylight, I just got lucky)- then stopped in Hendersonville to grab two prints.

Which was good, because I left one of them at my very next bonus

hey some days are just like that, you know?
    Ducky 149, 1oldsickle, Patch and 2 others like this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This video is making its way around forums again ... from July 2017 but good info on differences between popular apps for phone nav. Its an hour long ... but pretty detailed

Boondoggle likes this.
  13. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    thanks, man. That's great.

Also thanks to whoever suggested POIViewer, I pulled it out to check distances between two points a couple of times last weekend, and it worked exactly as I hoped.

Simple and straightforward to use, which is particularly nice for those of us who can be described similarly.
  14. SebRex13

SebRex13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Total noob here. It seems most of these rallies are east coast? I’m in the PNW and the links I’ve followed seem to lead to the other side of the country or Canada. I did notice

LL9 - Lobo Loco Fall Motorcycle Mini Scavenger Hunt

says it starts anywhere and ends anywhere. If someone has the time could you fill me in on how this one works? I’m guessing there is a lot of documentation required since there isn’t an official start/finish. Thanks for any info.
    1oldsickle likes this.
  15. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome!! :wave

There are a number of rally rides scattered around throughout the year but as you saw there are also many favoring the east coast.

The Lobo rallies are fun and easy to get started ... ran by Wolfe (IBR finisher) and more easily contacted through his Facebook page - look for Lobo Loco Rallies. He has a number of 'start anywhere' rallies that simply require you to document your start with a specific Dated Business Receipt (DBR) and then a documented stop with a DBR within the time frame, think his 'anywhere rallies' are 8-10 hours IIRC. Of course each rally has a theme, and the rally packs that he'll distribute to the riders will give you all the info to successfully complete the rally. Might be pictures of certain places or things, or receipts from certain places or similar. These get submitted per his instructions via email during the rally as you complete them.

Hammy - Hammys Experimental Rallies - also an IBR finisher, runs similar ones also, find details on Facebook as well. He just had the "Tipsy Goat" where you were required to visit and photo any 'alcoholic beverage production facility sign' like a vineyard or brewery with your rally flag. This was an 8 hr one and also was 'start anywhere'

These offer some insights as to what a longer rally ride might entail, offer some practice in creating an effective and rideable route , and help get you started reading the rally packs thoroughly (reading comprehension is key and a critical component of the rally ride).

Of note - the How The West Was Won Rally (HW3) is in August next year start/finish in Grand Junction Colorado. Its 32 hours, and a lot of fun, I rode it this past August for the 1st time and came all the way from Connecticut.

TL;DR - Rallies are really only as hard as you make them. If you enjoy planing routes and riding to weird places and doing odd things at various points of interest then you might just well be cut out to give it a shot!

The LD community is one that as a whole tries to make folks feel welcome and offer any support or guidance to help others enjoy it. It may seem daunting but it is really not difficult, especially if you ask questions. We'll all answer the best we can.
    SebRex13, Boondoggle and BasicJim like this.
  16. SebRex13

SebRex13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the info. I'm a gamer at heart and this seems to be scratching an itch I didn't know I had! I will spend the winter researching and think about trying at least one of the start anywhere rallies in 2020. Current goal is to enter one and just finish. Thanks again!
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! There are a few other options out there that allow you to dip your toe in instead of jumping right in if you prefer. These are not so time-driven and generally last for months allowing you a lot of options in order to practice without much commitment.

Tour of Honor - www.tourofhonor.com - This is April 1 - Oct 31 ... 7 memorial sites are released in each state (smaller states get 'regions' like NE and Mid Atl) and you simply capture each site with your rally flag and motorcycle. There are also side bonuses like Hueys and Gold Star Memorials for example but I believe you need to finish a state to be finisher. Benefits to this - you know exactly what and where your bonus is and only requires basic mapping/nav skills. I think I have 43 sites this year.

Team Strange - www.teamstrange.com - offers 'Grand Tours' that run anywhere from April/May to Oct/Nov. This year it was "States of Confusion" and you can review the rules on their website. Essentially hunt for and photo signs for towns that were named after states and some super small towns that were named after huge towns. (Like Boston Indiana instead of Boston Mass) and state Universities that weren't named after states (like Appalachian State U). This one is a little more like a scavenger hunt as you had to research the towns named after states - they only provided the appropriate towns named after cities and Universities. The rest you had to find, and that was fun. Then you ride to and capture what you could. I think I have 34 sites captured

Big Money Rally - www.bigmoneyrally.com - this one is a hoot, will run from Jan 1 - April? (this past year it started in Feb) The rally pack is enormous ... upwards of 100 pages and many, many themes. Scoring in this is near real-time, submitted through an app on your phone or email but requires certain criteria, like many bonuses only available during a certain day, and even during a certain hour. If you bone the pic, no points. This rally helped me (and many other riders) really hone their bonus submissions for rallies and since my first BMR I have never lost points on a bonus pic on any other rally for not being 'good enough' . I did barely make 'finisher' on this one, it certainly did NOT favor east coast this year :D

The main comparison to these self-directed long-term rides is that are what you make them. There is no pre-rally inspection, generally requires no paperwork and there is no 'details' in the rally pack that will challenge your reading comprehension and there is no sitting at the scoring table at the end hoping you did everything right - but they will help you craft rideable routes, allow you to manage basic waypoint data and route creation on whatever mapping program and nav system you use. As with all things, practice with these basic elements will certainly help you feel more comfortable when you have to manage that info "on a rally clock"

The above 3 are "ride anywhere" and riders from across the country are participating and communicating on various web forums. So even though you're alone - you're not alone.

Lastly - if you already have some familiarity with routing, PM me and I can send you some old rally info that you can play around with and see what its about. This isn't like Fight Club - we're allowed to talk about it :lol3
  18. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    VOID riders- you’ve got mail!
    Patch likes this.
  19. RFlagg42

Oddometer:
    For the people riding in the Void that are new to rallying, my impression is that the Rally Master is being really precise this year in the instructions he is providing. I highly recommend you read all instructions closely and follow them exactly, especially the part about the starting text messages. It is really disheartening to finish your first rally and lose a bunch of points because you didn't follow a simple instruction, which on the surface seems like it's not that important, but in reality it is. I've scored many people at rallies and I see it every time.
    1oldsickle, Boondoggle and BkerChuck like this.
  20. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Amen. And when the RM says read the book- read the book. There are sometimes easy little bonuses stashed in there, and it’s not in code- it’s often right there in writing and you just have to read it. :deal

As a 10 hour rider I don’t get the book until Friday night which, for me, is part of the fun.

Also- you new guys- the RM gave you access to the VOID web forum. Keep an eye out there for changes to the book and waypoints.

(Late) hint- I keep folders in my email for each rally and all communications go there. It’s good to go back thru and re read the requirements now and make sure you haven’t forgotten your insurance paperwork, etc :deal
    BasicJim and 1oldsickle like this.