Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those not "Riding" in the Stir Crazy 2020, we got hit with problems last night, just like in any fun rally!

Personally, on the way this morning to grab a bonus, I saw barriers across the road. I was close to the bonus and I figured maybe I could take the FJR around the barrier. I went around the barrier and found that the bridge over the river was out! I thought about going all Bo and Luke Duke on it, but couldn't find a dirt pile to make a ramp out of!

Cost me 60 minutes of time to re-route around the bridge over the river!

Good times!!

Finish is in sight!!
  2. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was a great routing exercise
    :thumb
  3. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Done! That was fun! I am curious to see how my meager skills stack up against the pros!

Now I need my wife to prep a banquet for me and say some pithy and funny inside jokes while I eat, then HOPEFULLY hand me a trophy!!

I really am going Stir Crazy here!!
    Patch and kendoo like this.
  4. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, did you make sure all of your pictures were correct?
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    Hahaha!! Thanks for letting me forget that, Chuck.
    BkerChuck likes this.
  6. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, I was referring to the one you realized and were able to replace......:-) Okay, not really....How was the virtual rally?
  7. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m curious too- how did it work, and is it any fun if you’re not freezing your ass off?
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though there are a few riders 'riding today/tomorrow' due to their work schedules so I won't give anything away ... but it was essentially set up as a routing/planning exercise. Rather than use any of the 'new' bonus locations she had earmarked for this years rally (and will be on deck for this fall) she recycled a bunch of bonuses, i think it was 35-ish. She also added in a Combo that forced you to sleuth out up to 11 other stops that met certain criteria and route them in a specific way, similar to a BOLO but you had tp plan them in advance to get them in a specific order.

Grabbing bonus was straightforward: simply dig up a google image or grab a street-view screenshot of the bonus and use that as your submission. Timing was based on a static 60 mph to keep the math easy and everything as 'fair' across the playing field. Distances between bonus stops was based on google mileage, so you figured 1 mile per minute of 'travel time'.

It was more math than I'm comfortable with and I screwed up my fair share of calculations. Hours & minutes converted to a running 'time' clock was not my jam but I figured it out :lol3

All in all, a great routing exercise, and for me it was well worth the efforts. Turns out even when it doesn't matter I'm still pretty competitive :evil
    Considering something like this hasn't really been done, Lynne did a fantastic job keeping it as real as she could.

Best parts for me, being able to calculate riding through WV hill country in the dark at 60 mph and spending zero time gassing up. :pynd
    kendoo, Boondoggle, BkerChuck and 2 others like this.
  9. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must say I really liked it as well. Unlike Ken, planning for me is half the fun! I was able to string the combo bonus together so I think I'll have a pretty good score. Assuming I didn't screw anything up with the log sheet and all my photos are accepted.

It got my wheels turning. I've thought that in the future I might want to put on a rally myself. I always thought that the easiest way to dip your toes in as a rallymaster was an 8-10 hr rally. But this is even easier! Even putting on an 8 hr rally is super stressful. Hotel bookings, catering, all the paperwork, scoring, scouting, etc. There's probably an equal amount of work for an 8 hr rally for the rallymaster as there is for a 30+ hr one.

I'm thinking of putting together a virtual one for winter. If you think about it, it's the easiest way to get people into rallying because it allows them to get used to data entry and routing with nothing on the line. If you're entering a rally, you probably already know you can ride the miles.

Can't wait to get on a zoom call with everyone to see what others thought of this and spitball some ideas back and forth.
  10. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting better at using basecamp, but its still frustrating...LOL. Glad everyone who "rode" this rally seemed to enjoy it. Maybe its success will drive more couch rallies...especially during the boring winter months.
  11. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were doing so good till my wife lost the flag. Those who did the rally will understand. :lol3
    Patch, kendoo, BasicJim and 2 others like this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, in the interest of keeping it as real as possible, I displayed several unabashed occurrences of cheesedickery just to keep Lynne on her toes.

It was fun. I may score dead last as a result :lol3
    1oldsickle likes this.
  13. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    I became a pain in the arse by asking a lot of newbie questions. And having my computer skills go up in smoke. So more then likely you ( patch ) will be second to last . I had a great time as well. Except the ohh crap moment we’re my 2nd leg plan went sideways. Still fun though.
    BasicJim and Patch like this.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The computer is my least favorite part. I like routing, I like mapping and planning. I am not quick at data management nor am I as fluent in it as I need to be.
  15. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a lot of fun! I used it as an exercise to see where I was good and where I was bad.

I am now comfortable with basecamp. I think I found some pretty smart ways to get information and workflows to make everything clear. I guess being an IT guy, I would expect that it would come pretty quickly to me.

Where I need work...
    1. PATIENCE!! I found a route that I liked and was done. I thought about checking other routes, but didn't. I think if I put more effort in to it, I could have done much better.

2. Routing tricks. A wise man pointed out that I should have worked backwards on my route. I never thought of that. That's a good way to look at it and I should have tried that as well (that is assuming he beat me. :rofl)

3. RELAXING!! This stressed me out. The rules would say "At the bottom of the page, underneath bonus X, put bonus Y." I kept thinking, "Wait.... bottom of the page OR underneath bonus Y? They're two different things!!!" In the Navy's nuclear power program, we called that "nuking it." Making something simple super complicated. I did that A LOT.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Lynne was awesome and did a great job of being friendly while answering my dumb noob questions. Luckily she didn't have to hear most of them... I sent them to Patch! :imaposer
    Patch likes this.
  16. Luckycharms

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree. Basecamp is decent software with a fucking terrible user interface. A perfect example is that you can't highlight several bonuses in an established route and make them all have a 5 minute layover. You have to click and change each one individually. This is time consuming. A simple software fix could switch that. And people complained about it on their forums for years. And they never made it possible. There were lots of little things like that, that Garmin chose not to address over the years. Weather from lack of caring or lack of resources to address those issues (lack of coders available).

When I first got into rallying (The Void 6 in 2011), Mapsource was the standard so I learned that. But very quickly I discovered that Garmin had released Basecamp in 2009 and that Gamin stopped updating Mapsource in 2010. Not knowing any better actually helped me. I just figured that Basecamp was the future and that I should dedicate my time to learning that. I knew that Streets and Trips existed, but Basecamp was A) Free and B) just worked with my Garmin Zumo GPS. I read of people having to use third party programs to transfer POI's to their GPS's and I didn't want to risk adding an additional step to a process I was just learning. That turned out lucky for me as well as Streets and Trips last had a new release in 2013

In the end I really just lucked into using Basecamp and it's the last remaining mapping program that's still being "updated". They don't have a developmental team that's actually improving the program, but at least they put out bug fixes from time to time.

My biggest fear is that with the latest Zumo XT having the ability to update software and maps directly to the device, they'll soon realize they have no reason to develop ANY mapping program and Basecamp will stop being supported in 5-7 years. They we'll really be SOL. Google Maps has a great interface but is not really the ideal setup for long distance motorcycle rallying.
    kendoo and BasicJim like this.
  17. Luckycharms

Oddometer:
    This is my biggest issue with the various formats of data that rallymasters choose to give us. Any time the rallymasters try to make it harder on the data management end, all they're doing is giving a huge advantage to data geeks that can process that information faster, thus getting to the actual routing part faster, giving them (me) an advantage.

Think about it. In their minds they're making it fair to everyone by forcing us all to type the bonus information into our mapping program or a spreadsheet. But what they're really doing is forcing all the newbies and people with little rallying experience to type the information out, while those of us with data manipulation experience are taking half as much time to get the bonuses into our mapping program and start routing.

Give me a pdf only? I'm converting that file to an Excel or Word document, stripping all the excess information out, and formatting it the way Basecamp needs it.
    Give me a physical copy only? I'm using a scanner app on my phone to get it into pdf form and then doing the same process.

Hell I know for a fact that people with an IT background are doing it faster than me. They're writing a few lined script that strips all the information out automatically.

So in the end the data management guru IT guy is taking that PDF and he's routing in 20 minutes.
    The newbie is manually typing ALL the information, possible taking over an hour.

So by not just giving everyone a GPX or Excel file to begin with, you're actually making it less fair. Just my opinion.
    kendoo likes this.
  18. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... who has never won a rally :patch

:lol3
  19. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an issue getting Numbers to export to excel or csv properly during Butt lite. Never had that issue before, never had it again.

But I had to manually manipulate every bonus location in BaseCamp for Leg 2 (point value and waypoint icon) before I could route properly. On the clock. I did;t get much sleep that night.
  20. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    I guess I thought it was just another way to have fun! I have no where near the experience of 95% of the rally riders out there. I am in year 2 of this, and year 2 has been 100% virtual. I just figured that everyone has stuff they're good at and stuff they need to get better at. If it was just about riding, they'd give everyone a map with a highlighted route, right?

I guess I don't know enough about the politics of rallying. I thought rally masters were just trying to make it fun and challenging. For me, challenging means going to places I haven't been. It seems like an advantage for experienced riders doing rallys that re-use bonuses. I wouldn't know that there's a "good" road and a "bad" road to get to a specific bonus, but all the other experience riders that have been there before know that. I learn slow, but I'll learn that stuff. Until then, I am glad I am good with data (not routing, Chuck had to explain to me that I needed to account for fuel and bio stops) and I love the challenge of the ride!
    kendoo likes this.