1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats why we use Garmin!! That magenta line is very likely the 'bad' road :lol3
    BasicJim likes this.
  2. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the rally reports where riders describe their 8 mile trek on dirt and mud while going to a bonus, then finding there was a paved road that was a mile longer that Garmin didn't take them on!! That sounds like my life!!
    1oldsickle, Boondoggle and Patch like this.
  3. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, all of that sounds like fun until Garmin reroutes you onto what at first appears to be a simple unpaved road that declines rapidly into a soggy, muddy goat trail with nowhere to turn around and too much muck to put down a side stand even and you're on that 640+ pound FJR that has no business being where you've just taken it and the next 4 or 5 miles eat up the 45 minute cushion you "thought" you had. Happened to me a few Mason Dixon rallies ago heading for Driftwood, PA. I knew I was in trouble when a guy on a straight up dirt bike turned around to come see if I needed help!
    1oldsickle, Boondoggle and BasicJim like this.
  4. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    I love those roads and the stories that go along with them. All those crazy little random vignettes that happen in even the 8 hour rallies- it’s like being a spectator to your own adventure.
  5. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    Where was the virtual rally announced? I missed that.
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lynne communicated directly with RnR riders once she knew she'd have to postpone until Fall. I believe that she offered it only to riders who were interested, not as an open registration. I think she had 30 riders participate overall.

I recall seeing her possibly post on a few Facebook groups to fill a spot that someone wasn't able to participate, but maybe just the one time.

The only dates she could bump to in Sept are now Butt Lite, so I'll miss the RnR this year.
  7. RFlagg42

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just curious.

Hopefully I can make the September BL dates. I won't know until this craziness ends and we reschedule some things at work.
    Patch likes this.
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you can make it!

I also hope that rescheduling my time off will not be a problem once we get back to work.
  9. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a pretty crappy year for rallies and just about everything else. Hope everyone is doing OK.
    Patch, 1oldsickle, kendoo and 2 others like this.
  10. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Yeah.

The VOID/MD 2020 are combined and going to run as start-anywhere, virtual banquet I think. Still trying to decide whether to do it.

I just couldn’t get into the Team Strange Riding to hounds GT, might still do TOH- I seem to need GPS points to focus on.

I need to get some miles on, but was working 7 days a week through may, it’s been nothing but little day rides, and not many of those. Still luckier than most, I guess.

friggin’ @Patch has been tearing it up though!
  11. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've been shuffling everything forward as they get cancelled. Hopefully Heart of Texas will happen. Sounds like Paul has a great system in place for handling the rally given the restrictions that are in place so I think it's a go.

Just day rides for us too, not a single overnighter this year. I was going to try to do VOID but I'm not sure I can get that Friday off, everybody has pushed vacations out so now there's a scramble to use vacation time.
    kendoo and 1oldsickle like this.
  12. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Glad the Void is still happening but bummed that it's all virtual with no start or finish banquets. TOH banquet being cancelled was a huge bummer too as I was really looking forward to that since it was to be held in Gettysburg, PA making it possible for me to attend for the first time. Hope everyone is staying healthy. Hope to see a bunch of you soon.
    kendoo, Boondoggle and 1oldsickle like this.
  13. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the Email I received yesterday it’s still a go ( heart of Texas) looking forward to that one . Let’s just hope things settle down and everyone stays safe.
  14. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha ... hardly! Been trying to focus on ToH and potentially a bigger ride now that BLX is off. I'm happy that Void is still running at least.

I have not cancelled the hotel in Binghamton. I still may start there, depending on the bonus list. I'm betting that over here in CT will be a crappy place to start.
  15. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I hadn't reserved any rooms yet for Void and I'm figuring with the way it's being run I'll just start and finish at home and save my money. I'm actually having a hard time just getting excited about anything right now. It'll be a rally but it just won't be the same. I wonder if Scott can livestream his banquet speech?
    Boondoggle likes this.
  16. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the General Malaise thing
    Patch likes this.
  17. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided to bail on the Co-Void because it is a work weekend for me. Can't justify burning 36hrs vacation if I can't even have a beer with you FF's at the finish and hear Scott's presentation.
    Patch, Luckycharms and Boondoggle like this.
  18. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toyed with leaving, but I really want at least 1 rally to sharpen the skills before next year.

Funny, had such big plans of pushing my comfort zone and getting used to my new-to-me rally bike and learning what worked and what didn't. RnR, MN2020, BLX all gone. Now I feel I gotta ride the Co-Void. If only to actually rally 1 time this year.

I tried mock-rally runs for ToH and its just not the same.
  19. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    The rallies are the only thing about the shutdown that are bothering me :lol3

what’s that? No two hour mandatory in person meetings? No leaving the house at 3am for my 530 flight? No driving halfway around the world for my cousin-in-law’s fourth wedding? Hell I might even be smiling a little behind this mask....

missing the Salty show? Not so good
    kendoo and Patch like this.
  20. RFlagg42

Oddometer:
    You can still get great rally practice riding the COVOID. Other than Ken's legitimate complaint of not being able to have a beer with everyone, the big added variable with the virtual start/finish is that you can select the optimal point to start/finish. THIS IS HUGE with regard to impacting who will win.

So for Patch, if you're going to stay in a hotel the night before anyways, may as well save the decision as to where to start until after we see the data.

On another note, can't believe we're getting a full refund for BL. What a nice surprise.
    kendoo, Patch and Boondoggle like this.