Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Gotta love Team Strange ... someday when its not illegal I'll have a big ol high 5 for those guys.
    kendoo likes this.
  2. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way. There really is no substitute for riding rallies. I've done back to back BBG's during rallies and yet I struggle to complete one off the clock. It's all about the adrenaline and your mind running non-stop during a rally.
    Luckycharms, Boondoggle and Patch like this.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran around NY for Tour Of Honor sort of half-hearted rally style. Long loop north was about 800 miles and then the lower leg was around 650 miles, visited family then home 500 miles.
    Sort of simulated rally stops, I was boogying at each stop and trying to beat the GPS time - overall I was on rally pace for the 1st 2 days at almost 1500 miles and 36 total hours elapsed.
    Then a leisurely ride home followed by a quick pop into the city because I’m a sucker for traffic.
    Adjustments.jpg
    kendoo, 1oldsickle, BkerChuck and 2 others like this.
  4. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    @kendoo now I really do need tires :lol3

I'm ordering them this week
    kendoo and BkerChuck like this.
  5. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This year might just be a record for me with how long a pair of tires can last......Not in a good way either.
    LadyDraco likes this.
  6. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Ditto.

I need a hug :lol3
    Patch and LadyDraco like this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

:feelgood
    LadyDraco and Boondoggle like this.
  8. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Can we all say 2020 the worst Year ever !!!
    Not you @red bud ... :rogue
    Boondoggle and BkerChuck like this.
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

:lol3
    LadyDraco and Boondoggle like this.
  10. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    I still have the same tires on my bike that I finished the last IBR with [July 2019].... :cry
  11. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to pick the collectives brains on nutrition on multi day rally .any pro tips out there ? I was given a tip on carnation instant breakfast in coffee from a backpacker. And it got me thinking. Thanks Bill
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of options for nutrition but remember it depends on what will work for you. I know many riders who pack Ensure (or other non-perishable) protein drinks for an extra boost while out for days. They seem to me to be a pretty easy meal supplement or replacement. I tried them last year and found having a few in my bag was a good idea as I felt less hungry when i got to my destination, always a good thing.

Normally I eat 2 meals a day with some snacking between - so on the road I stay to that. I am also veggie (though I do eat eggs) so I generally get hard-boiled from the hotel with yogurt, or an egg sandwich to start the day. I pack fig Newtons for snacking, pack well and hold up to extreme hot and cold. I eat a lot of fruit (apples are always rolling around in my top box) and some kind of salad or veggie sub for dinner, or another egg sandwich (or pancakes/waffles etc) from an all-day breakfast place. During the day I stay hydrated, keeping hunger at bay (for me) and when I stop for gas etc I usually grab an orange juice (or one of the Naked juices) that pack a sugar punch as well as some peanuts and cheese or similar. If the ride is starting to suck, or I get hangry I'll get a pizza for dinner and eat that whole sucker.

I also do not have a modular lid, so I don't snack while riding. I generally only stop for 'dinner' when I'm at or very near my planned stop or hotel and try for 100 miles in before breakfast then repeat.

Sadly this is not too far off how I eat at home.
    Mrs Patch says I eat like a toddler :lol3
    Boondoggle, kendoo and 1oldsickle like this.
  13. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First you have to ask yourself if you're attempting to be competitive, or if you're just participating to have fun and see some sites. Yes there can be some blending of the 2, but for the most part, rally participants usually fall into one of those 2 categories.

I happen to fall into the former category. During rallies I only stop for 2 things - gas and bonuses. I don't stop for anything else. The only 2 "meals" (and I use that term loosely) that I stopped for on Buttlite 9 were from fast food places that I picked up before going to my hotel room for my "off the clock" rest break.

I use a modular helmet so I can eat while riding. The "floor" of my top box is packed with a majority of the food I will need for that leg of the rally, so 2-4 days worth.

I eat either Greenbelly Meals - https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=greenbelly+meal+2+go or Probar Meal Bars - https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=probar+meal+bar
    And I drink Atkins shakes - https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=atkins+ready+to+drink+shakes

I'll have about 2 shakes and 4 bars a day. That will give me about ~1,500 calories as a base, and then I'll supplement with a banana or apple from a gas station in the morning. Sometimes I'll grab a packet of trail mix at a gas staion if I'm feeling adventurous. I'll try to grab some sort of sandwich and unsweetened ice tea for dinner. If I'm stopping at a hotel for the night I'll take it with me to my room. If I'm going to be riding through the night I'll scarf it down as fast as I can at the gas station.

I eat pretty healthy when not on rallies and I exercise 3 times a week. During rallies, food is just an energy source. I can eat the same thing day after day and not care.

I have a 1 gallon jug on my right passenger peg that I keep filled with ice water. I sip from that all day and that's pretty much all I drink.
    Boondoggle and 1oldsickle like this.
  14. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat as Luckycharms for the most part, except I don't carry shakes. When I need something like a shake that has some extra protein, I grab a Muscle Milk protein shake at a gas stop. In the last IBR, I ate Len & Larry's "complete cookies" throughout the day (400 calories each with protein and fiber), and then usually stop for a subway sandwich once a day for dinner. I will combine dinner with a rest bonus whenever possible so that I am eating off the clock.

In general, my only rule when competing is eat something that is simple, something that gives you energy, and something that will NOT result in you shitting your pants. I don't care about well balanced meals when on the clock.
  15. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    Fun snack: baby food in the little foil squeeze packs in the top case. I swear to god I can feel the puréed fruits and vegetables hit my bloodstream sometimes. They come in a bunch of flavors too
    Patch, Luckycharms and 1oldsickle like this.
  16. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's signature line material right there!!
    1oldsickle, Bigbob1, Patch and 3 others like this.
  17. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Great intel as usual. Thanks for all the food for thought. Signed up for the HOT and trying to wrap my head around it . This will be my first multi day rally .

sincerely the noob
    Patch, Boondoggle and kendoo like this.
  18. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun @1oldsickle !! That should be a great rally, saw the additional invite but just cannot make it work. I'd really love a crack at another multi day to work through some stuff thats bothering me about long duration routing and getting some more real-time experience but its not in the cards this year.

It should be a blast!
    1oldsickle likes this.
  19. oneodd1

oneodd1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kind of afraid to ask but what is the HOT rally?
  20. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Heart of Texas. Should of posted it that way
    oneodd1 likes this.