1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Rally nOOb - Now with more rallies & welcoming more Road Rally n00bs!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Boondoggle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BasicJim

BasicJim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you still got me. You had a kick-ass route!
  2. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds right on Tom.

We had no issue in Baltimore Friday at 10:45-11:00. Got right in and out with minimal issue. I had allowed extra time expecting a time suck but we actually got ahead on that stop. Pittsburgh killed us. 3 lanes narrowing to 1 for construction twice. Lost a lot of time and finally just said screw it we're heading to JIM next and took the scenic routes most of the way.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    But could have added in 3 easy after WIN. Oh well ... I needed the rest and not having my laptop I was pretty committed to riding my plan. Hopefully I get CFHC and of course I miss 207W because I didn't catch it as Daylight when I made my files. That was why I ran so far north towards the end of day 1, after PICK. Thats where Jim Abbott ran south, more points available and he also knew he lost 207W to darkness so he made up for it while I settled for ESSO and BETH before WIN

Baltimore was pretty easy for me at 6:30am Saturday. Just a few weirdos came up to me at stoplights. There was a sidewalk memorial at a corner and they 2 guys there asked me for money. No way I was getting a pic there. They did;t look friendly and one moved to the other side of me. I shook my head and ran the light.

Part of my routing made sure RHINO was early in the morning, daylight was listed as 6:30 in the files, so I made it for 6:30.
  4. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    I found an interesting roadside memorial. Nobody asked me for money, either!

[​IMG]

I had extra time and couldn't really find anything to spend it on... that's why I killed my Points Per Mile and went out of the way to get ASHT for I think 53 points.
    Patch and Boondoggle like this.
  5. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    I TOLD you! Great Job!!! You beat me by exactly 900 points!!

I am super happy with my results! My 2nd ever rally and I got 13/43 finishers. I HONESTLY don't think I could have done any more than I did. I was TAPPED by the end!
    Boondoggle and Patch like this.
  6. TDuff

TDuff n00b

Oddometer:
    Since you guys are talking about me figured I should join. It was nice to see you Chuck to bad about your tire. I hadn't been on the bike for three months, due to some heath issues,. it was great to get out and ride again. started at swan sbr rhino win w207 simp stm and ext then to the rest bonus. I just over did it a bit so my rest went from 5 hours to 8. I dropped erie pit nel and bing. The plan was hit jim and head home, after sitting on I70 for 2 1/2 hours due to an accident, I got to mem jim and patty and went home got in at 1700 I had a great weekend. Now to get back into better shape lol. It would have been nice to see the rest of you all.
    Boondoggle, Patch, BkerChuck and 2 others like this.
  7. BasicJim

Oddometer:
    You were out there! That's the big thing! Glad you're on the mend!
    TDuff likes this.
  8. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    TDuff- I could tell from behind it was a rally bike and told Dianne that as we closed in on you. Apologize for not remembering your name. It's always neat to run into another rider like that especially that far in to the event. Like @BasicJim said at least you got out and did what you could. Our flat tire definitely sucked but it could have been so much worse. It sucked that whatever we picked up in that tire was so small that I couldn't find it to plug it! We had to drop the entire second half of our plan and try to come up with something on the fly. Didn't help that I hadn't brought my laptop along so I didn't have Basecamp and the full picture in front of me while the tire was being replaced so I could have tried to come up with a new plan. We struggled on that second half and it was the first Dianne had been on the bike since May so ultimately we chose to head for Jim and see if we could find more of the wildcards.
    TDuff likes this.
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got out there man! Wish I had seen you on the road.

Overall construction and issues in PA did cost a lot of people time.

This wa the 1st time I didn't take my laptop. I don't think it would have made a difference as I didn't have time to reroute as I really needed the rest, but if there had been an issue, I'd have regretted not having it to salvage what I could. If I had it and opened it at REST, I might have seen the few I could have added, or I might not have. Hard to say but pretty damn happy with my finish either way.
    TDuff and Boondoggle like this.
  10. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
  11. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I tend to avoid rallies, especially ADV rallies, mainly because I no longer get on well with crowds and my bike has no beak.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1080.jpg

These events are not the kind of ‘rallies’ you’re likely thinking of.
    Long distance endurance riding events are called rallies and they involve actual riding and no crowds.
  13. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just made it home from the Heart of Texas rally. Paul came up with quite a challenging and entertaining puzzle for the riders to figure out this year. Cattle and the sale of cattle was involved, and hopefully you ended up with a profit.

Michelle and I ended up 15th out of 46 finishers so we were pleased. Missed a couple of opportunities that only came to us as we were almost to the finish. We have never ridden a rally where you didn't get your rally book till the morning of and it was a somewhat complicated planning experience, there was math involved. :lol3 98 degrees in SW Texas and 22 degrees in northern NM made for a great experience. I was almost thinking I was going to have to call in and see what the procedures are if your pillion bails on you in Raton, NM because it's miserably cold, but I didn't have to make that call. An emergency stop at Arby's got us through.:clap

2020-10-18 18_26_36-SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer.png