Road Rash Hall of Fame Pictures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by KTM640Dakar, Jan 10, 2008.

1. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    thank goodness for union insurance...cant deny anyone:clap
    i love my $20.00 usd per month carpenters local 2361 dues, i get my moneys worth:evil
  2. goodcat8

goodcat8 I can pass this guy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
  3. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    Holy shit........ wow..... that's a good one :uhoh
  4. RAAD

RAAD with Pierre LaCarve

Oddometer:
    55 mph high-side after a Lexus took out my rear wheel. Only one surgery needed!

All the road rash is covered up, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

RAAD
  5. detailer57

detailer57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no pictures, nor can i find my xrays.

One time, on my Z1 900. Over the bars endo on black top in summer at over 70 MPH. T-shirt, jeans, full face, boots and far to many beers to even be riding. Road rash, both hands, to arm pits, legs, knees to hips, misc other brusing, and rash. I had hit the ground so hard at some point the helmet strap came undone, helmet left my head, impact on the left side back of my head. In the hospital, could not remember much of anything. The guy next to me went off his KZ1000 wearing tennis shoes, no shirt and shorts. I thought I had road rash.

A year and a month later, again far too many drinks, lost it in the marbles at only around 50 mph, broke my leg just below my hip then when I hit the ground it split my femur into 3.
    In traction for 3 months, surgery, pins, drilling, blod clots.

Just an FYI, after the second incident, I went on a poker run, got way too drunk, did not remember part of the ride home.

I have never had another drink, not even a beer and get back on a bike.

I stick to drinking at home. :freaky
  6. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your service Marine. May I ask what helmet you were wearing?
  7. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    HJC. I had severe head trauma, but no brain damage.... though im sure my girlfriend would disagree.
    And if my face shield wasn't up my face and eye socket wouldnt have gotten chewed up and spit out :thumb
  8. mr. matteeanne

mr. matteeanne Bender can pass him Supporter

Oddometer:
    Telephoto lense?
  9. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Damn! This thread makes me want to wear a helmet while I'm just changing the oil! Seriously though, thanks for the inspiration to buy some real riding pants and WEAR THEM.
  10. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Yikes!
  11. Devilsyam

Devilsyam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Dude if i didnt know better i'd say your the spitting image of OCC's Mikey lol
  12. samoss58

samoss58 n00b

Oddometer:
    This was from a High Side about 40mph. Was wearing a Joe Rocket Ballistic series jacket. The jacket protected my shoulder well, but the rash is from an open zippered vent. The gouge in the middle is from the zipper itself.
    [​IMG]
  13. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!!

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot of my inside right thigh before the skin graft that was done due to an infection that developed while my fractured knee was healing. Looks like a shark bit me and gouged out a chunk of flesh. Thy are telling me that it will fill in somewaht but I will always have a good sized divot there. There were some wild colors in the wound before the infection (two bugs) was cleared up. My legs still a 'tad' swollen...about 50% larger than the size of the other one. Good news is that all of the bones I broke are healing very well.

[​IMG]
  14. KenRocks

KenRocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel kinda outgunned, especially after the steamroller dealie story, but here we go.

Pulled out of my apartments on my old Shadow 1100...made a right onto the 6 lane (divided with median) road that runs by (Richmond, if you live in Houston). Made it a block down the road before a lady ran a stop sign and t-boned me.

[​IMG]

I remember trying to veer/lift my leg up as she got close. Was afraid of it getting smashed to pieces by her bumper. The guard hit instead and drug across her car, tearing off her bumper. I almost had my leg clear, but instead the guard clamped down on my ankle and pinned it between the bumper and my engine. Photo was shot on my cell camera, from my back, after a nice bystander yanked the guard up and helped me pull my foot out.

[​IMG]
    Turns out I broke my tibia (thats the one in back, right?). Got a cast put on it. Got annoyed with said cast making it difficult to walk my dog (3rd floor apartment, stairs only. Dog's always excited to be out, and its hard to not get pulled over if you cant set your foot down). Got drunk and cut it off with my roommates swiss army knife. Dumb. Regardless, cankle time!

[​IMG]
    And from the side. Epic.
  15. Etherelda

Etherelda Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:

Mikey?
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The last time I was down on the street was the early 80's, and I got a good amount of road rash then.
    The entire side of my upper left arm was skinless, I never went to the hospital and there is still gravel in there.
    Been busted up plenty dirt riding, long list o bones, but this thread makes me want to go out and get some gear, at least some sort of pants.
  18. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has been discussed somewhat, so I'll put the entire mess together. In April, while riding my Harley to work, some dimbulb changed lanes on me, IN A TUNNEL, and I was forced to lay the bike down. Due to my very non-Harley habit of wearing ATTGAT (All The Gear, All The Time), the only injuries I had was a broken ankle (tri-malleolar tib-fib) and 3 broken ribs (I landed on my left side, where my back-up Glock lives). I was taken to the area Level 1 Trauma Center (Norfolk General) at my request. Amazingly, the medic on the box from Hampton, VA Fire-Rescue was a guy I precepted several years ago. Nice guy, wouldn't even give me a shot of morphine (possible head injury...but I'm this way normally). Trauma team was waiting, and it was nice seeing those 5 residents in scrubs waiting to pounce on me. Surgery was the following day, and I came home the day after. Spent the summer on crutches, and back on light duty with the PD.

Started having some weird looking cellulitis around the fracture site, so 2 rounds of antibiotics later, the surgeon decided to remove the hardware and get a look at the bone. Surgery was Tuesday, hardware was removed, and the bone looks good, no infection, and has healed very nicely. There is an underlying staph infection, so the incision has been left open. I have a small Grand Canyon on the outside of my left ankle. Pretty neat, you can see the bone and all! A nurse comes to the house twice a day to change dressings,and replace the packing (OUCH!) and once it arrives, I will be put on a Wound Vac, a small vacuum pump that will close the wound. That plus enough antibiotics to kill most anything alive. I am ambulatory but will be carrying a "purse" with the pump in it. Recovery time for this is estimated 4-6 weeks. Light Duty with the PD after October 13. Rats, and I just got back on the street!!

Fortunately, the infectious disease doc has the results, and it's a run of the mill common staph, not MRSA or VRE. So, I'm on doxycycline for 4-6 weeks, plus the slow wound healing process. Lesson learned? Motorcycles are dangerous, but not as dangerous as blue hairs gabbing on a cell phone, or anyone else doing anything not related to piloting a 4000 lb missile down the road. When I was unable to drive, I had a chance to look at drivers, and I was surprised at what I saw. I shouldn't have been, seeing as I supervise a squad of officers that work 20 accidents a day, plus the stuff I see as a paramedic. Drivers are dangerous, not motorcycles.

Just remember to WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Staph lives on the skin, and it doesn't take much to get it into the bloodstream (stop popping your zits on the mirror!!!). Even with the best of care, this bug can get you. Don't ignore weird rashes or itches, get them looked at. I'm glad I did, this could have gotten into the bone and really screwd things up.

Stay SAFE out there!!!

[​IMG]
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photogSorry you got hurt but that there is some funny shit.

Translation: Some guy changed lanes on me in a tunnel… I panicked, over-braked and crash my Harley.

Try keeping the bike on the round rubber things next time and see if you can't walk away.
  20. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    That is one gross woooooond.:puke2