Road Rash Hall of Fame Pictures

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by KTM640Dakar, Jan 10, 2008.

1. purelick

purelick DIRTRIDER

Oddometer:
    Ouch
  2. purelick

purelick DIRTRIDER

Oddometer:
    WOW that herts.
  3. BoneSplinter

BoneSplinter n00d

Oddometer:
    earthroamer, except for the rotation part that's about what happened to me. Slow get off, or aborted get off, and got my damn shoe stuck under the shift lever of the KLR. The passenger kept me pressed forward as the suspension compressed underneath me. Just a bad situation. I like the big bar in your tibia, cool radiograph.

I have 100% use of the ankle and knee, but about 90% flexion in my knee. I can't quite sit with my legs tucked under me anymore, still working in loosening the joint up.
  4. Lost Soul

Lost Soul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did this at work. I was run over from behind by a 2 1/2 ton asphalt roller. It made it half way up my thighs before they got it stopped. Then it died and took a couple of minutes to restart. I think it hurt worse when they backed it off.
    Exploded my femur, dislocated my hip, fractured my pelvis on both sides, crushed my right foot so badly they almost amputated it. It had screws also but they have been removed (they were backing out). Chipped a bone in my elbow when I hit the ground. That was April 19, 2005. I was back on my VTX1800 Sept or Oct of the same year.
    [​IMG]

I have good days and bad. I wear orthipedic shoes. One leg is 3/8" shorter than the other. If I'm going to be on my feet for a long time, i walk with a cane.
  5. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Jeez!! That makes me sick just thinking about it, Lost Soul.
  6. changingground

changingground Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaaah! I can't feel your pain! I don't want to feel your pain!
  7. Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    I was lucky it stopped when it did. Another foot, I'd be dead.

No biggie, I've learned to live with it. I can still walk. I can still ride. Both of those were things the doctors didn't know if I'd ever do again. I'm sure there's guys on here worse off than I am.

Now if I could just get a KLR and ride the first 1/2 of the TAT....:D
  8. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Jesus man, human tooth paste tube, how did you keep your lower extremities o_O?
  9. Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    WARNING GRAPHIC DETAILS!!!!

Actually, We had a little asphalt left from track repairs. (I work at Gateway Intl. Raceway.) There was a spot where the haulers coming in would drop off the edge of the road just inside the oval. So I suggested putting the extra there. I drove the telehandler with the asphalt hopper on the front to the spot and straddled the edge of the road.
    He was on the pavement. I was on the dirt. It hadn't rained for a long time. The ground was rock hard. The other guy was hit in the shoulder and knocked out of the way. I was knocked down and immediatly pinned as it ran over my feet. I thought it was over as it kept coming. I wondered if I would see my guts explode out of me before I died. Somebody upstairs was looking out for me because it died as it got almost to my butt. They don't know what stopped it. As soon as it stopped, my first thought was "OK, I'm going to live. Now I just need to get to a hospital so they can put me back together" Then I thought "There's no circulation getting to my legs with this thing parked on me." Like I said before, once they got it fired, it hurt worse backing it off.

I tell people, it wasn't like being hit by a car and waking up in a ditch with broken bones. I felt them breaking as it worked it's way up. When my femur broke it felt like wrapping a broomstick with pipe insulation and slowly bending it over your knee until it breaks. It ground the skin off my knees as it drove them into the ground. They looked like severe road rash.

I was conscious the whole time. All the was to the hospital and into the OR. They told me they were giving me 2 pills. One to knock me out the other was in case I woke up, I wouldn't remember. Yeah well that didn't work. I woke up as they were drilling a hole one of my legs to put me in traction.
    I was awake just long enough to feel the drill bit push through. It felt like when you drill plywood and it splinters through the other side. They actually had to drill both legs just above the knee to put rods through for the ropes to attach.

I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. Then i was moved to a rehab facility for a couple more. I was in out patient rehab for a year after that.
  10. Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    BTW, It was the Head of Safety that ran me over. :rolleyes
  11. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh WTF? please tell us you got a FAT compensation payout for that......
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  12. TomballD

TomballD GottaLeaveTexas

Oddometer:
    I wont be riding for a while after looking at this thread, especially without gear!
  13. Brooklyn Rob

Brooklyn Rob Do'h!

Oddometer:
    You gotta be smart like me- if you're a righty, always remember to break your left arm!
    Had to learn to wipe my ass with my other hand!
    And had to go to the barber to get my hair washed!
  14. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    T-Boned a mini van at 65mph back in 2001 :uhoh
    Note the sweet sponge painted bathroom..... niiiiiiice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Wow, this is some rough stuff! I am glad everyone is on the mend!
  16. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    im new here in adv, some buddies in TT recommended i join here because i want to grow from basic ds to some adv stuff. thought i would start with a list of injuries just to fit in. i will try to load some past xrays soon, but here is the list....'88 dropped gsxr750 at laguna seca, busted up right ankle bad.
    '96 braking bump at glenn helen on '96 yz250 spiral fracture of left femur.
    '96 same yz250 perris raceway first race back, landed on a goon, 10cm separation on right a/c collarbone, '99 on '99 yz400 at mammoth mt vet nationals fri practice got t-boned in practice broke L3 L4 and fractured pelvis thru the right hip socket....thought it was a really bad bruise so i raced sat anyway and my #1 brand of british handlebars snapped causing a crash that compound fractured my left humerous {not at all funny} paralyzing my left arm from the shoulder down for 2 years {cust fabbed a brace and still rode}, thanksgiving '07 on an '08 yz450 at elsinore mx park nothing crash shattered my left wrist {hamate, lunate, capitate, triquatrum, trapezium, end of radius and complete separation of the scaffoid}. im on 8 major surgeries and not counting fingers, toes, nose, and ribs im on 18 broken bones and still ride an '08 ktm 530 excr.......do i fit into the club?:freaky
  17. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:

You are certainly mad enough! :thumb
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  18. boomhwr

boomhwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would hate to be your insurance agent.
  19. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't have any pics, or x-rays, but I do believe I'm a member of this club:

3 concussions
    7 (count 'em, 7) broken noses.
    1 broken jaw (multiple places)
    Fractured Vertebrae C2 (compression-I landed on top of my head! :huh) and stuck C1,2 &3 to the bottom of my skull
    10 or 12 broken ribs (in 4 or more separate incidents)
    Fractured L4 vertebrae
    Most of my fingers, including carpals & phlanges (sp?) and a pin in my left ADV finger
    3 (separate) spiral fractures of right Tibia/Fibia (complete with internal fixator, also known as a plate, with 20 or so screws)
    Crushed left ankle, with 3 screws

I know I'm forgetting some bones, but you get the idea.

As for road rash, after you have to take the sheets to the shower with you in the morning to soak 'em off, who keeps track? Or did I lose track after the incident which required hospitalization as I was losing so much fluid through the raw contusions that I had a IV 24/7 for two weeks until the scabs crusted over enough?

Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, and glory is forever! :D

(of course, so is arthritis/CTS and constant back pain)
  20. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    matches your face!